Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Isomac Millenium, no pressure, no heat
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Isomac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 6:33am
Subject: Re: Isomac Millenium, no pressure, no heat

If the element tested 38ohms from terminal to terminal, I think that is about right.  Long time since I owned an Isomac HX machine and can't now remember what the design wattage is but that would equate to ~ 1400w which sounds about right for a 230v machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 7:23am

__________ Said:

If the element tested 38ohms from terminal to terminal, I think that is about right.  Long time since I owned an Isomac HX machine and can't now remember what the design wattage is but that would equate to ~ 1400w which sounds about right for a 230v machine.

Posted July 25, 2013 link

Oh - I didn't notice Claire was in Europe. Yes, the element is 1400 watts, so the element is probably good. I think the Giemme controller might be the culprit. That's what I would check next. They are expensive to replace, so testing it first would be a good idea.

Regarding the heating element, the gasket is teflon.

NEVER descaled?!? Do it NOW! :-) You do not want to wait for scale to start causing problems. Have you at least regularly descaled the HX circuit and group?

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
clairebear3
clairebear3

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Rossi RR45/SMP
Roaster: Whirley Pop
Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 1:13pm

I know I am totally embarrassed about the descaling!  I do the HX and mushroom regularly but I was always scared to take the case of and start messing with things.  How often should you open the boiler?  I use a Brita.

Darn I really hope it's not the Giemme, I have no idea how to test it and it's really expensive, not sure I can afford it.

Would it be worth removing the water level probe?  Maybe if that's broken the machine just thinks it's empty?  (it won't refill itself unless I life the brew handle)

Does anyone know what this 'thing' is on the left hand side of the water level probe?

Click Here (i224.photobucket.com)

It has teflon tape on both joins, they wouldn't do that in the factory would it?  Maybe the previous owner already replaced something?

http://thehousethatkoenclairerebuilt.blogspot.com/
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 1:56pm

clairebear3 Said:

I know I am totally embarrassed about the descaling!  I do the HX and mushroom regularly but I was always scared to take the case of and start messing with things.  How often should you open the boiler?  I use a Brita.

Posted July 30, 2013 link

You don't need to open the boiler to descale it thoroughly. There are some instructions on the H-B site:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
(edit) Note: I disconnect the heating element while the boiler is refilling to reduce the chance the heating element will burn up before the water reaches a sufficient level. Also note that the autofill circuit will shut off after 1 minute. Give the pump a chance to cool down for 30 seconds, and then turn the machine off and back on to reengage the autofill.

Darn I really hope it's not the Giemme, I have no idea how to test it

See above for some ideas on testing the box.

Would it be worth removing the water level probe?  Maybe if that's broken the machine just thinks it's empty?  (it won't refill itself unless I life the brew handle)

Lifting the brew handle engages the pump to run water through the HX circuit. That is separate from filling the boiler. The water level probe works by making a circuit from the water level probe (wire coming from the Giemme box) to ground (the boiler case via the water in the boiler). When the circuit is made, the pump shuts off. A malfunctioning water level probe would only cause the boiler to overfill (as in the case where the probe is scaled so no current can pass to the water). You can test that by simply removing the wire from the water level probe. That should turn the boiler fill pump on.

Does anyone know what this 'thing' is on the left hand side of the water level probe?

That is the pressurestat. Someone has replaced the stock CEME pressurestat with a MA-TER pressurestat.

DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 6:40pm

clairebear3 Said:

Darn I really hope it's not the Giemme, I have no idea how to test it and it's really expensive, not sure I can afford it.

Brita=waste of time (almost useless)

This might sound silly, but check the water tank switch.... because from memory the Milleniums don't have a low water alarm, they simply stop heating and pumping although the power light does I think remain on....it's a long time since i reviewed one. Back when I reviewed i last they used a sprung platform that actuated a Microswitch below. Check that the wires have not come off, and that the switch is working....it could be as simple as that.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 9:14am

DavecUK Said:

Brita=waste of time (almost useless)

I presume you mean in terms of reducing scale, not flavor. The Brita improves the taste of my water immensely. As far as I know the only easy filter solution that reduces minerals is ZeroWater. But then you need to add minerals back in by mixing with regular water.

This might sound silly, but check the water tank switch.... because from memory the Milleniums don't have a low water alarm, they simply stop heating and pumping although the power light does I think remain on....it's a long time since i reviewed one. Back when I reviewed i last they used a sprung platform that actuated a Microswitch below. Check that the wires have not come off, and that the switch is working....it could be as simple as that.

The main power supply passes through the microswitch before going to the power switch. Low water will shut down the whole machine.

clairebear3
clairebear3

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Rossi RR45/SMP
Roaster: Whirley Pop
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:45pm

So the thermal fuse, heating element and switch under the water tank are fine.

I removed the ground wire from the top of the water level sensor, turned the machine back on with water in the tank but boiler didn't start to fill.  Could there still be a problem with the water level sensor then?  If I stick one end of the volt meter into the ground connector from the water level probe in the Giemme and the other end on the other end of the ground cable (not attached to water sensor) I get zero resistance, so I guess the cable and connectors are fine.  If I keep one end in the ground cable in the Giemme and hold the other end on the top of the water level probe I get an infinity reading?  Is this normal.

I really want to check everything because I can't work out how to test if certain pins have current or are open or closed.  Do you have to do it with the machine on?  Isn't there a danger of electrocution.

Thanks for your patience!

ps when i bought the machine second hand it had an in-tank water softener attached to the water pipe.  I didn't know how old it was and had read bad things about them on this forum so I cut it off.  Are they better at lowering the scale than a Brita do you think?  It sure is a pain waiting for the Brita to fill or pouring to soon and the lid coming off and all the water spilling everywhere!

http://thehousethatkoenclairerebuilt.blogspot.com/
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 2:49pm

clairebear3 Said:

I removed the ground wire from the top of the water level sensor, turned the machine back on with water in the tank but boiler didn't start to fill.  Could there still be a problem with the water level sensor then?

Posted July 31, 2013 link

No. If the water level sensor wire is disconnected (and assuming it is not touching the case or boiler) the boiler will fill if the machine is working properly.

the cable and connectors are fine.

Yes.

If I keep one end in the ground cable in the Giemme and hold the other end on the top of the water level probe I get an infinity reading?  Is this normal.

I don't know 0 I can't visualize what you're doing.

I really want to check everything because I can't work out how to test if certain pins have current or are open or closed.  Do you have to do it with the machine on?  Isn't there a danger of electrocution.

Yes you have to do it with the machine on. Yes, there is danger of electrocution whenever you are working around high voltage. You need to be very very careful and not take any chances. It is very easy to slip up and make a connection that causes a short. I severed the steam line to the gauge on my Isomac by accidentally letting a wire containing line voltage touch it -- big arc and the line was cut.  It's not worth saving money on service if you have to go to the hospital, or worse, the morgue. If you are uncomfortable with working around high voltage, you need to either send it out for troubleshooting/repair, or just replace the Giemme box hoping it is the problem. Worst case scenario is you have a spare Giemme box (which you will need eventually - those relays have a limited lifespan) and you have eliminated that from the possible solutions.

ps when i bought the machine second hand it had an in-tank water softener attached to the water pipe.  I didn't know how old it was and had read bad things about them on this forum so I cut it off.  Are they better at lowering the scale than a Brita do you think?

As Dave pointed out earlier, the Brita is not useful for reducing scale-causing minerals in the water. It is basically a carbon filter for improving flavor. The cation water softener you cut off is designed to remove/neutralize minerals that cause scale. It comes at the possible cost of problems with espresso extraction. I do not use one, just descale the HX 4 times a year and the boiler twice a year. But my water is not hard. YMMV

TheSentinel
TheSentinel

Espresso: Isomac Millennium, Jura ENA...
Grinder: Isomac Gran Macinino, La...
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 1:16pm

Did you find/solve the problem?  I'm eager to know, since Im having a very similar problem with my Millennium :/
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Isomac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32618188858)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+