Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rancilio Kathy
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Kathy  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
paolo75332

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:13pm
Subject: Rancilio Kathy

Hi all.

I just got my hands on this old lady.  She wasn't putting out to begin with but after a bit of a scrub, major descaling and some gentle persuasion, I got her waters flowing again…

I don't know anything about this machine but guess it's over 10 years old?  Looks the same as the Lucy except that it's designed to be plumbed in.

Just looking for any relevant information, potential problems, ideas for mods etc.

One main question is - should I immediately update anything?  The 3 way valve looks a bit different to anything I've seen recently.

Can the OPV be adjusted on this?  It's the version with the internal spring and screw.

Anyway - if anyone has any hints and tips they would GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

Paolo

oh - also, how sharp should the grinder teeth be?  These one's aren't razor sharp but the teeth still look reasonably pointy - not rounded.  Does it make a huge difference to the grind if it's a bit worn?...

paolo75332: !CFmdHlgBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!i4E1MLRQcsWBNVrPL74nw~~0_12.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
paolo75332

Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:20pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Kathy

ps.  Here's a schematic of the 3 way valve I mentioned.  Is it Gasket/Washer No. 58 that can modified to change the pressure?

paolo75332: Screen shot 2011-02-24 at 19.18.25.png
(Click for larger image)
paolo75332

Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 4:07pm

There's nothing quite like answering ones own questions...

Indeed - No.58 can be changed to alter the POV pressure - or - you can just rotate the POV valve (No. 39) a bit and tighten up the threads with some PTFE tape.

I screwed a glycerin filled pressure gauge - 1/4" BSPT - into the portafilter and checked the pressure until I got it to 9.5 bar.

Next is stripping and painting.  Think I'll go for Wrinkle Finish Red for body (kinda like attached photo) and Black for the frame.

Got a PID ordered - it's far too ugly for surface mounting so it's going internal - there's PLENTY room inside Miss Kathy :o)

paolo75332: 999fv.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 6:25pm

paolo75332 Said:

Got a PID ordered - it's fat too ugly for surface mounting so it's going internal - there's PLENTY room inside Miss Kathy :o)

Posted March 3, 2011 link

PIDs are sensitive to high heat during operation, so be sure wherever you put it is not too hot. My Watlow tops out at 149°F max operating temp. The SSR that the PID drives will also need to be mounted inside with room for a heat sink.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
paolo75332

Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 2:54am

Yay!  There's someone else out there :o)

I'll keep an eye on that - thanks for the info.  Think it should be ok though - it's cavernous inside the case as there's no water tank.  Even in summer (not that warm in Scotland) I can't see it getting that hot.

From what I gather - the SSR can be mounted behind the 'splash plate' but as I say, there's tons of places to mount it inside.

Would love to get an idea of the age of this thing - must be getting on a bit now...

Cheers

Paolo
Myrearantenna

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 8:16am

Hi Paolo,

I was searching the net for info on my rancilio miss Lucy and couldn't find a thing. I saw that your Kathy is basically exactly the same.

As I purchased this lady secondhand, I don't have any instructions for it's use.

Would you enlighten me to this machines process for extracting coffee (novice here). No other Lucy has the button configuration of my machine, but yours does!!

Help! :-/
Myrearantenna

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 8:20am

Here is a picture

It has a rather 70s pattern on the back too
stuartmac

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Laranzato Casa,  Faema Due,...
Grinder: RR45
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 4:03pm

looks cool,  keep up with the updated pics,  i just started a rancillio calsse 8 teardown this week.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Kathy  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248980998993)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+