Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
PID type for brew and steam function  (Silvia)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > PID type for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 7:34am
Subject: PID type for brew and steam function  (Silvia)

Can anybody tell me which PID's or functions does a pid have to have to allow steam and brew function for the Silvia?  Does the PID have to have 2 types of outputs for separate SSR's or 2 sensors? Is this a function within the PID to change to a different set point?  

Id like to have a PID with brew and steam on my Silvia with the use of only one SSR.   A DIY install looks simple enough so I'd like to avoid taking the Auber route and paying $200. Id like a 1/32 din size PID.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 9:32am
Subject: Re: PID type for brew and steam function  (Silvia)

The Auber PID SYL-1512 or generic similar is what you need.  When I priced it a little over 1 year ago Auber PID with RTD sensor and SSR was a decent buy.  Not the kit, just the supplies.  If you choose the non-Auber generic way then you need the PID function and one alarm function.  Preferably the alarm will say low limit alarm, but often it is not specified.  Your choice is 2 SSRs or 1 SSR and diodes to keep the alarm and PID functions separate at the SSR.  Auber has the best instructions from those that I looked at.

On page one below, look for Skene diagram for 1 SSR.  It is done on Silvia at the Skene site and I used similar for Gaggia.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

That thread is essentially 2 halves, first is about using alarm function to add heat during brew and the second half is installation.  While install and supplies are Gaggia, some of the pictures of needed supplies and wiring are from Silvia.  They are very similar to hook up and the supplies are very similar.

Auber PID and RTD with or w/o SSR is reasonable.  Decide if you want to house it in a box.  The Auber box is not cheep, but is a nice product.  You can get supplies at one shipping that way.  I did not find a better box.  Look up the "Tasseloff" thread on Silvia for fairly recent install, in Canada.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 9:36am

I went with Auber when I installed one on my Sylvia. There is only one SSR, I think the PID is setup to use the alarm and the main channels to do the dual temp control. Others who have played with this will know more, I did the kit and it was very easy. Yes I very often do the DIY thing myself but at the time I had the money and bought the kit, I am glad I did, it was a simple plug and play setup, well worth the money for temp correct wiring with all the mental work done. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 9:45am

The Auber kit uses one SSR as well, but has a PID that looks like 1512 but is modified and does not need diode or voltage supply.  That internal change on the PID controller is proprietary and the kit PID is not sold separately, I checked with Suyi.  The Skene method works well and Skene was still running the same SSR, diode and power supply a year ago and it was set up several years ago.

If you are really trying to save, you do not have to use the RTD fitted sensor, but can use a thermocouple and fit it yourself.

D4F also at
Burner0000

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 12:20pm

OK so this answers my question.  What I am looking for requires 2 SSR's if I want steam control.  If I decide to go Auber (ebay find's don't look promising) I am looking at $125 + $20 for wiring and connectors. I am only saving around $25 not buying the kit.  Thx guys for answering my questions. :)  Looks like I will just go with a kit. Auber has the best deal.

UPDATE: Shipping from Auber will cost me $35 via Fed Ex or $15 via USPS which could take a while.  A local supplier has the kit's with free shipping which will take a day so..
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 1:03pm

Has the Auber kit and supplies?

D4F also at
Burner0000

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 1:10pm

Has the Auber retrofit kit. Supplies to build myself from Auber directly will cost almost the same as the retrofit kit itself.
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 1:15pm

Burner0000 Said:

What I am looking for requires 2 SSR's if I want steam control.  If I decide to go Auber (ebay find's don't look promising) I am looking at $125 + $20 for wiring and connectors.

UPDATE: Shipping from Auber will cost me $35 via Fed Ex or $15 via USPS which could take a while.  A local supplier has the kit's with free shipping which will take a day so..

Posted August 14, 2013 link

The Auber PID is $37 and the Box $25 or $15.50, if black, and SSR on ebay for $5 and thermocouples for <$5.  You can use 1 SSR and 2 $1 diodes and the type of power supply below.  Or diodes and 9v battery (at least on Gaggia).  I do not care which way you choose, just making sure that you know that you do not have to use 2 SSR's and have that drive your costs.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 1:17pm

Burner0000 Said:

Has the Auber retrofit kit. Supplies to build myself from Auber directly will cost almost the same as the retrofit kit itself.

If that is a normal deal in Canada with Auber supplies, then others are probably interested in the source.

D4F also at
Burner0000

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 1:51pm

D4F Said:

The Auber PID is $37 and the Box $25 or $15.50, if black, and SSR on ebay for $5 and thermocouples for <$5.  You can use 1 SSR and 2 $1 diodes and the type of power supply below.  Or diodes and 9v battery.  I do not care which way you choose, just making sure that you know that you do not have to use 2 SSR's and have that drive your costs.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

How would I hook up diodes?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > PID type for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270861148834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+