Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Air driven shot to increase thermal stability of small boiler?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Air driven shot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jroach

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa,...
Grinder: La Cimbali 6S, Baratza...
Drip: EVA Solo, Moka, Press Pot,...
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 4:07pm
Subject: Re: Air driven shot to increase thermal stability of small boiler?

I'm claiming low caffeine levels...  

Started to sketch out the system, the air over hydraulic has a 'piston' that transmits the force from the larger area to the smaller area.  so the force on either side is equal with differing areas.  Been a foggy day.  

Good luck,

Ciao
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 9:14am

The Myprressi Twist certainly has some fresh ideas.  It looks like it has a 4F intra shot temp drop and that you can control starting temperature with the number of times you preheat by filling/dumping the bowl.  That sounds a little cumbersome and inaccurate.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1GbNc2hoI

A system that is continuously bringing new hot water into the head should not suffer from the heat loss/drop that it has.  And PID control would provide an accurate and convenient starting temp.

As an aside, I often see claims along the lines of "the heavy brass ... maintains accurate temperature".  Water stores more heat than brass.  So if you want to achieve steady temperatures through thermal mass, add more heated water to a system and don't be concerned with how much brass it has.  Insulation is also beneficial for achieving consistent temperatures throughout a system.  IMO, there is nothing wrong thermally with aluminum, stainless steel and plastic parts.
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:36am

To clarify a bit about pressure/force.  Pressure is a measure of force per unit area (in the USA it is lbs per square inch - we use the units of Bar for espresso machines).  So if you know what the pressure is you can figure out what the force is on an item in the system just by knowing the square area.    There are "pressure loses" in the system due to restrictions and change in orifice size so the pressure may vary slightly in the overall system.  Electric valve take advantage of this by using a small orifice in the valve.  The valve piston is pressed against the orifice by a spring (spring provides a force).  The valve manufacturer needs to make sure the valve will hold the 9 bar pressure (they usually hold about 12 bar).  To be able to use a small spring in a small valve package they need to have a pretty small force acting on the spring.  This is accomplished by reducing the valve orifice size to an open area that when you calculate the force (pressure X area) it is less than the force of the spring.  This is why the orifice on the electric valves for espresso machines (holding back the 9 bar pressure)are about 1.2mm or less in diameter.  

THe measure of pressure in espresso machine is important so the force acting on the coffee is the same for all machines.  Portafilters may change in diameter and the overall force on the portafilter changes with the diameter of the basket but the force on the coffee remains the same for a given pressure.  You can prove this by looking 1 square inch of coffee in any machine.

BillC
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:41am

JonR,
Great idea.  If you need any parts let me know.   There have been a couple of ideas similar over the years.  Make sure you do not expose the heating element!  The only issue I heard what the the air reservoir had to be pretty large to maintain constant pressure.   I look forward to hearing your results!!!  There are a few capsule machine that use similar methods.

BillC
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:50am

billc Said:

The only issue I heard what the the air reservoir had to be pretty large to maintain constant pressure.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Using a cartridge/regulator as in the Mypressi may be a good alternative. True there would be the ongoing cost of the cartridges, but cost per shot is really not much from what I've read on the Mypressi and the space savings of the nice small package may be worth it.
jonr

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 7:44pm

billc Said:

JonR,
I heard what the the air reservoir had to be pretty large to maintain constant pressure.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

In my case, I'd use an air compressor/tank that I happen to have.  It will pump up to 10 bars and then that gets regulated down to 9.   Of course most people wouldn't want to plumb to an air compressor in the basement.

I'm not sure that people would go for the 4 shots/cartridge that the Mypressi gets in a countertop machine. But I don't know of a small, inexpensive way to produce air pressures like that (~50 bars).

For a practical machine that minimized the effect of incoming cool water, I think an near neutrally buoyant insulated baffle that keeps the incoming water separate from the outgoing might work.  When the shot stops, the baffle could slowly sink back into position near the bottom of the boiler.  Or maybe just staggered fixed baffles would be enough to minimize mixing.

Then there are all of the ways to add heat on the fly as cooler water comes in.   Ie, automated temperature surfing and thermo blocks.
jonr

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 7:36am

Thinking about Bill's comment, if one wanted to keep things small, then the air/water pre-pressurized tanks used in well water systems provide a model.  Ie, the boiler could contain an air bladder pre-pressurized to 9 bars.    Say you then pressurize the tank/bladder to 12 bars by adding water with the water pump.  Using Boyle's law and a 2.5 oz shot size, I get 8 oz for the needed bladder size (10.5 oz minimum total boiler size).  That seems quite reasonable - no external air compressor or air tank needed.  The water pump would run before the shot, but not run at all during the shot (remember, the idea is to avoid incoming cool water which disturbs the temperature).

I assume there are flexible plastics that could handle the temperatures involved.  An added plus is that the water pump could be downsized. It needs to pump up to 12 bars, but it doesn't need to do it quickly.  With a pressure regulator on the output, intra shot pressure would be a steady 9 bars and pulsations from a vibe pump would be gone.  And of course the boiler temperature should be steadier and with only a few oz of water in it, the boiler would heat up quickly.

A downside is that the Gaggia boiler is too small to try this design.
jonr

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:37am

Continuing with the out of the box thinking, what if an air pump could reverse direction?   Pulling a vacuum on water causes it to immediately boil and cool down.  So the idea would be to have the entire system (boiler, group and tubing) slightly overheated (say ~210F) and then have the pump first drop the pressure to .8 bars (absolute) which would cause all of the water to boil and quickly drop to 200F.  Then reverse and push the uniform 200F water out at 9 bars.  The advantage is that it should create a more even temperature everywhere in the system.  Water maintained at 200F in a boiler isn't hot enough to maintain a group head at 200F.  But 210F (or whatever) would be.

I have no idea if this would be less expensive that something more traditional - say a large boiler maintained at 200F and an electrically heated group.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 1:46am

If you try to change the original design, you may damage the machine or may change the operation procedure. Removing the copper tube inside may leak that portion because you change it with 9 bar air which is not fitted or may not fit.

If you happen to meet a problem on your espresso, the original designer is knowledgeable on how to improve its design... Never introduce anything that can give you more problems. Just change your espresso machine to a better one.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kolu
kolu

Espresso: Faema E92 SE, Futuramat...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Macap M4D,...
Drip: Kalita Wave
Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013, 5:49am

I was thinking about that a bit more - didn't such high air pressure end up in dissolving a rather big amount of air in the water? I mean it will be much like a making of sparkling water/soda.

Which isn't really the right substance to make your coffee from - just try making espresso from bottled sparkling water and you'll know what I'm talking about :)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Air driven shot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261949062347)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+