Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Simonelli Oscar with stuck reset button?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Simonelli Oscar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bendoc91

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nouva Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Oven
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 1:44am
Subject: Simonelli Oscar with stuck reset button?

Hello,

I have a Simonelli Oscar that's really underused. I've moved abroad and couldn't take it with me so I only take her out 3-4 times a year. It's been a few months since last time

This time I turned it on, everything was fine until a few days ago the steam became weak and the heating element wouldn't turn on. I let the machine cool down completely and the element still wouldn't go on. The machine wasn't heating up and the LED indicating that it was heating was off

I read here something about a red reset button on the side of the boiler so I set out looking for it. I wiggled it around a bit, and oh-glory the machine came back to life. Problem is that it only worked for about a day.
Now I played with the button a bit more but it's not helping. If I push it down manually (I know I should be hit on the nose with a newspaper for sticking my hand in a plugged in machine) the element turns on, but when I let go it turns off again. I've set the Pstat to a very high temp, and it's relatively new so I doubt this is the problem.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? What can I do to have some decent coffee before leaving home?

Thanks,

Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 6:58am
Subject: Re: Simonelli Oscar with stuck reset button?

I think that 'red reset button' is a thermal fuse on the boiler.  That can trigger if the boiler scale builds up too thick, or it can be that the reset button just needs to be replaced.

Do you have hard water that's being used for the espresso machine?  If so the boiler likely needs descaling.  There are instructions around on this site and related youtube videos that should help you with that.

If the boiler appears clean then you might look at getting a replacement thermal fuse reset button.  They can, and do, fail from time to time.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 8:15am

It is the over temp safety switch, I find it hard to make a connection with scale but I suppose it is possible. It is a mechanical switch and it sounds like the plastic inside the switch has a broken latch.

The pstat may need adjusting or replacing. You do not have a gauge on the machine so you have no indication of pressure in the boiler.

With heat and time, plastic can fail, so things may be OK in the machine but you do need to make sure.

I would NEVER tell anyone to do the following. I did it ONE time while waiting for a new switch to come in the mail, if there is no safety relief valve this can be very dangerous, the boiler can blow up, you may DIE! do not do it. I jumped the two wires so that they made a connection while waiting for my part to come in the mail on a different machine that does have pressure gauges so I could look and watch what the pressure was.

A new switch for your machine should only be a few dollars and it needs to be replaced, You also need to check for proper operation of the Pstat. All in all though, it is just likely that the switch is old and needs replacement.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bendoc91

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 8:50am

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I haven't descaled the machine in a very long time.
I just did it. I used a 50% distilled vinegar solution. Did two runs and on the second run the water still came out pretty blue. I didn't let the machine stand with the vinegar for more than ten minutes.
The fuse is still stuck.
Should I do a third one? Maybe let the machine stand with the vinegar solution for a while? Or just cut my losses and go look for a fuse?
Finding spare parts is a pain here. The importer told me that he won't sell me parts "for my own good" as I could damage the machine, and some guy who runs a coffee machine store asked for about triple what Simonelli asks for.

Calblasmith, I'm not trying to go around it, I just wanted to diagnose the problem and descale. The Oscar does have an OPV which lets out a little water that drips into the machine and makes it short circuit. Unfortunately I've seen this in the past.
My Pstat is less than a year old, I replaced it because the old one was leaky. If I understand properly this switch is what makes the familiar 'click' sound when the heating element shuts off. If so, the problem is only that it doesn't came back into place. The element shuts off at the correct temp, but it doesn't turn back on when the machine starts cooling

Thanks,

Ben
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 11:45am

The Pstat is a pressure operated switch, yes it clicks every time it turns on and every time it turns off.

For descaling, most use citiric acid or a commercial descaling solution.

So, now I am confused (more than normal) is it the Pstat or the over temp safety switch that you are holding? The Pstat is the box you replaced. The over temp safety switch has a red button in the center and is a little smaller than a dime around.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

bendoc91

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 12:07pm

It's the over temp that I'm holding. I just push it in until it clicks and then when the pstat clicks it jumps out and the boiler turns off. At this point the water that comes out of the grouphead is around 70C so it's not overheating.
I don't hold the switch, I just press on it towards the boiler until it clicks and let it go
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 2:17pm

So just replace the OT switch and reset the Pstat and all should be  fine.
You don't need to go to NS for parts, there are lots of them out there.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Simonelli Oscar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218093156815)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+