Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gran Gaggia
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gran Gaggia  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: Gran Gaggia

It sounds like you will need some help.  I am happy to do that but would like to know what you have for supplies, equipment and skills.  

How will you make wiring?  What gauge?  Solder or crimp?

What wire ends/terminals do you have?

Do you have a Digital Multi Meter or DMM?

If you have not done so, you may wish to start at page 17

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

The first pages are how and why PID, the last are supplies and how to.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
FeltedOwls

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 9:39am

]sorry my laptop broke down for a couple of days.
err here is what i have to work with.
i have basic wiring skills, noting fancy.
i have wire cutters, speaker wiring, screw drivers. thats about it.
for wire ends, i normally just tie them around the screw and screw it into ssr and pid.
i do not have a ddm
Click Here (i1232.photobucket.com)
D4F

Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 1:09pm

You will need to make up something like this wiring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832954%40N00/2330218796

Note the spade ends, male and female.  You will likely need those connectors and "piggyback" spade connectors to make the connections in the machine.  Screw in fittings at the PID and SSR is normal, but not in the machine.  Speaker wire is adequate, possible, but not desirable.  Most is not high temperature rated, 105C.  It will not necessarily melt in the machine, but has some risk.  You will need to route the wires where they cannot contact the boiler.  There are many appliance and lamp wires that ate 105C rated.  How to connect wires to spades???

You will need current carrying load wire from the SSR to the boiler heater wires.  In US that is 14 awg and high temperature rated, not speaker wire.

DMM is not required but allows you to check your work before you turn it on.

I suggest that you read the PID thread carefully starting page 17 about supplies and install before you proceed.  

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

There are suggestions such as hobby shops and hardware stores where supplies are found. I recognize that you may have to adjust the specific supply shops for your area.  

Ask questions if you need help, good luck.

D4F also at
FeltedOwls

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 3:19pm

after i remove the thermostat would i need to fill the hole with s screw? with a thermocouple tip, how do you guys attach it to the machine?
Click Here (img.directindustry.com)
im using the same thermocouple after removing the tip of the thermocouple that was way to big to fit the initial hole in the boiler from the thermocouple
D4F

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 6:58pm

See post on bottom of page 1.  You have essentially the thermocouples similar to the e-bay ones noted.  The fancy way to attach is to use a lathe and put an appropriate hole in a M4-0.7 bolt.  The more realistic way is to find a M4-0.7 bolt or screw and a washer and thread into the tstat hole and use the washer to lightly clamp the thermocouple bead in place with thermopaste or heat transfer compound. You could back out the tstat and use it as the clamp to hold the thermocouple bead against the boiler.  Again, paste.  The connecting wires will be removed from the tstat and controlled by the PID via SSR, so the tstat would just act as a bolt.  The stud on the tstat is brass, do not over tighten, finger tight, or you can twist off the stud.  Hope that helps.

D4F also at
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gran Gaggia  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192386865616)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+