Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Espresso Restoration Project
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
snick45

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:18am
Subject: Espresso Restoration Project

Hey all,

First off, I love the site and have been using many forums here for reference in my coffee endeavors. Now that I have a project to work on, I figured I would create and account, share it with you all, and see if anyone wants to pitch in any advice on what I'm doing. So here goes my first post!

I recently saw a Craigslist ad for espresso and restaurant equipment in a city not too far away from me, about 150 miles. I'm working towards starting a coffee shop and roastery relatively soon, so I am slowly trying to accumulate equipment at a cheap price through various sellers. So I called the guy up, asked him a few preliminaries about the machines, and decided that I was going to go take a look. So I jumped in my 95 Corolla and booked it up the mountain. Two hours later, I got to the guy's house and he showed me the equipment. The seller told me that he had closed a shop a few years ago and was just looking to get rid of the stuff.

So here is a list of the big items I bought:

- 1 Laurentis single group Model Number SME 1N, manufactured in 1994 (essentially an Astoria)
- 1 La San Marco Gorizia two group (not sure model number) manufactured in 1994 (told me outright that the machine was broken, had it diagnosed as needing a heating element)
- 2 La San Marco espresso grinders (I believe SM90)
- 1 Rossi Espresso Grinder model RR45SPM

I got those five items along with various pieces to each machine, a conveyor belt toaster oven for bagels, and an electric chaffing dish... All for 500 dollars. I think it was quite a bargain, what do you guys think?

So I'm going to start working on cleaning and taking the machines apart if need be. I'm just interested in seeing how they work and get a better idea of how to fix them. Please feel free to give me any advice along the way, especially when it comes to the deep cleaning (What chemicals to use if I need to de-scale, de-lime, and de-calcify the parts). Also, here is a link to photos of all that I got (Be sure to indlude the "@N06" at the end):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99815996@N06/

I'll be sure to update the thread as I go.

Nick
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 10:27am
Subject: Re: Espresso Restoration Project

Nick,
Welcome to the board.

Craigslist is a good place to look if you can take your time and wait for the good deals.

Everything for $500, not too bad, a bit close to retail IMHO for the work you need to do to clean things up and get them going again but not bad overall.

They are in rough condition as most well used commercial gear is. To clean the stuff up, a good disasembly will be required. Most of the SS parts can be cleaned with a stiff brush and dish soap uh just don't do that with stuff that has electric parts on it!

For the broken items, did the seller tell you what was wrong or is it a blind purchase?
Make all the connections for water and proper electric wiring, then get brave and turn it on to see what the issues may be. It could be minor or you may be looking at a total rebuild.

Congrats on getting your dream started, business is a tough road to start on, it takes backing and a lot of work on your part but it can happen for you!

As you face different issues on the gear, let us know, we love to spend your money!

Kidding (not really) LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 8:55pm

Buying such second hand items is a great savings in your part. Hope everything is working well. But anyway there is what we call as lucky purchase if it is doing well. Bear in mind that the greatest percentage of buying used items is more maintenance job. It will compensate anyway to the price of what you had paid to the previous owner which is much lower compared to buying a brand new one. Maybe you can make money out of those items to buy a new one soon.

To de-scale, de-lime or de-calcify the parts, you can use soap and cleanser since it can fight against lime scale that can be dissolved with acid for a complete removal. Be sure if you use vinegar or citric acid, it must have an appropriate acidity levels. Too high may damage the machine inner parts. You can have a ratio of 20 parts of water to one part acid.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 10:26pm

I can't be alone here...  How many of us have dreamed of one day owning a conveyor belt toaster oven for bagels. If I had one of those I probably would never leave the house!  ;-)

Anyone here ever see the Sam Shepherd play, "The True West"? Remember the toast scene?
I was fortunate enough to see it live, in a small theater off Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood. The two stars? Dennis and Randy Quaid playing the brothers in the play.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
snick45

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 3:45pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

calblacksmith Said:

For the broken items, did the seller tell you what was wrong or is it a blind purchase?

Posted August 5, 2013 link

So the La San Marco two group machine, the seller told me that the machine needs a heating element. I'm currently debating whether I want to dive into fixing that machine (likely there are other problems) or resell it to another who would like to work on it.

I've gotten the Laurentis hooked up in my apartment and I've almost got it to work. However, I think that there is a pump issue. The machine heats up, the steam wand works, and the hot water wand works as well, but shots won't pull. In fact, I haven't gotten any water to come out of the head yet. When I hit a button to pull a shot, the machine clicks and recognizes that it has been hit, but nothing else happens. Any thoughts on that?
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251801013947)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+