Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Why is no water going to brew head?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Why is no water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 3:56am
Subject: Why is no water going to brew head?

This is an issue unrelated to the boiler (from a previous thread) so I thought it best to make a new topic/thread.

Everything appears to be working.  Boiler fills, heats, steam produced, hot water available.  Cycles fine. Computer calls for brew so it seems fine

When brew is engaged cold water comes out of the overflow into the drip pan not through the brew head.

If I put my finger over the spout, hot water then flows to the brew head.

Is this a bad or clogged 3 way valve?

This is new machine to me so I do not know anything about its history other than what I am finding out now.

Machine is a Livia 90 automatic. Seems to be a nice machine with a few minor issues that do not seem to be terminal.

moosepucky: brew_overflow.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 8:41am
Subject: Re: No water flow through brew head

Where would I find a service manual for the Livia 90 (or the Bezzera BZ99 which is the same machine)?

How would I test the 3 way valve?

Doing a continuity check shows all 3 connectors open (with no power applied).  with power on top and left side have continuity.  With brew running all 3 pins have continuity. This does not sound right.

what voltages should I be seeing on the connections?

moosepucky: 3-way-valve.jpg
(Click for larger image)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 10:40am

A 3-way solenoid coil normally has three wires. Ground (is often green) and two others. Disconnect all wires. The two line connection points on the coil itself (common and line) should show infinite resistance (little or no needle movement) in one direction, and then reverse the test leads and it should show low resistance (continuity) in the other. if that is not the case either the meter or the coil is faulty.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 12:58pm

frcn Said:

A 3-way solenoid coil normally has three wires. Ground (is often green) and two others. Disconnect all wires. The two line connection points on the coil itself (common and line) should show infinite resistance (little or no needle movement) in one direction, and then reverse the test leads and it should show low resistance (continuity) in the other. if that is not the case either the meter or the coil is faulty.

Posted August 1, 2013 link

Top wire is green/yellow stripe.  Goes to a spade on the bottom of the boiler then on to the fill valve so this is probably ground for both the 3 way and fill valve.  I get continuity between that lug/wire and chassis/frame (ground)

Left is blue and goes to the pump (110v line)

Right is beige and goes to a lug on the bottom of the computer.

I get an open across left and right lugs (computer and pump) both directions (no reading) either unplugged or with the wires plugged onto the lugs. This is with the machine turned off and unplugged (no AC voltage to it).  Should I be testing with the machine powered up?

Is the relay "serviceable" or is it a "toss it part"

I found the 3 way valve on the Sirai web site: http://www.sirai.com/inglese/pdf/l/L377-V03C-V05C.pdf

No pricing, just the schematic of the valve and relay (is interesting and I saved it).  Unfortunately nothing there that is helpful to trouble shoot the valve.

BTW I have a Fluke 77 III for a multimeter so if there were something readable I would see it.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 1:27pm

moosepucky Said:

I get an open across left and right lugs (computer and pump) both directions (no reading) unplugged

Posted August 1, 2013 link

That's all you need to know. The coil is bad. it is an electromagnetic coil powered by AC voltage. if you pass AC current through a coil what you have is a personal pleasure device (vibrator). There is an internal diode in the coil that is the likely failure. The diode only lets electricity flow in one direction which makes the 60CPS AC line into a 30 CPS DC and that makes the coil into an electromagnet. If the coil slides off the 3-way it may be available separately. otherwise replacement of the 3-way assembly is required. Contact one of the sellers of the machine and check that out.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Why is no water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280099868774)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+