Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gran Gaggia
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gran Gaggia  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
FeltedOwls

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 3:13pm
Subject: Gran Gaggia

Hey guys i just bought myself a used gran gaggia machine.
Would it be possible to install a 3 way solenoid valve into the machine? As I usually pull shots back to back as people come over to my place for coffee.
Ive also purchased a pid, ssr, thermocouple but i have to idea how to remove the knob for frothing on the top of the machine to actually pull off the top panel of the machine.
Attached is my machine. I have to remove the knob to change any parts in my machine including the steam wand.
More over, ive found out that the portafilter leaks when i flip the switch to induce water to the portafilter.
Please help me out.

And has anybody modded this machine? is so, please do tell me what other mods could i look at for this machine.
Thanks.

FeltedOwls: gran.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 3:40pm
Subject: Re: Gran Gaggia

A great site to use for understanding your machine and modding.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaHomeEspressoMakers.html

You have completely different internals than most of the standard Classic type machines.  I do not see a way to install a 3 Way.  Look at the parts diagram for the Gran Gaggia and then the Classic.  The Classic 3 way fits machines with the proper inlet part #20 of the Classic diagram.  It is not an add on part even on other Gaggias without that Group/Unit body, and yours is totally different.

FeltedOwls Said:

Would it be possible to install a 3 way solenoid valve into the machine? As I usually pull shots back to back as people come over to my place for coffee.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

I do not think that the lack of 3 way will slow you much.  A few seconds to let it bleed off pressure so that you do not get sprayed before taking off the PF.  Your bigger time problem is re-stabilization of the temperature.

Your parts diagram shows the clip, #43, which looks like a tension spring to me.  If so, pull up on the knob and it will slide off.  The "spring" fills a space and supplies grip or tension.

PF leak most likely from need to replace #59.  A parts supplier can probably tell you the proper thickness.  There are similar of different thickness for various Gaggias.

At a guess, you will want the Rancilio V1 steam wand, IF you can verify fit.  It appears much like the Classic tube from valve to fixed "nut" at the far end of #39.

Will you need help with the PID?  What parts do you have?  Which type thermocouple?  What is your thermocouple attachment to the boiler?

PID ideas in the first half, and the last about half is a PID install and probably enough to help with wiring.  I believe that your wiring diagram is similar if you account for positions.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 3:46pm

The next area to work on is your grinder, or post what you have.  Are you going to use a non-pressurized basket or "Perfect Crema" basket? Do you have access to freshly roasted, days, beans?

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 4:28pm

I looked a bit more info.  You may not have the heavy brass PF with the screw on bottom spouts, but a light weight one with built in spouts.  The heavy is better for temperature and I believe the Classic brass type may fit.

The boiler size was not confirmed.  I am not sure if it is small like the Classic, or larger.  It appears to have only 1 element as opposed to the Classic style of 2 elements in the boiler wall.  You can look at the parts diagrams and your machine.  If 1 element as I suspect, then power is limited and that will affect how rapidly you can make a second brew.  I do not think that it will necessarily affect shot quality, but readiness time for temperature stability and further shots.

Sorry to post in pieces, I have not looked at the Gran Gaggia for a while, and have not owned one.

D4F also at
FeltedOwls

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 4:14am

I bought the steam wand as well, now the problem is my older steam wand is broken and the silvia doesnt seem to fit. im using a delonghi burr grinder. and fresh beans.
FeltedOwls

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 4:49am

found problem, has to remove the male nut and change with female nut, remove the metal ring and remove whole steam wand part from boiler, will post pictures soon. now, we wait for pid kit, and ill try to install it. the boiler still leaks a tad, will try to open up boiler in a few days and see if there is anything loose.
D4F

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 9:30am

Good to see that you are making headway.  The only steam wand change should be to remove the Silvia wand nut and reuse the Gaggia nut, 41 on the diagram.  Sounds like you figured that.  Keep posting progress :)

D4F also at
FeltedOwls

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 1:42pm

once again, i am stuck.
the thermocouple i bought doesnt fit the boiler. what size do you think would fet? M4-0.7 as the classic?
FeltedOwls

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 2:06pm

and what does M4-0.7 mean anyway? sorry complete newbie with these stuff.
D4F

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 2:30pm

What PID, thermocouple and SSR did you get?  You perhaps looked already at the Auber RTD sensors.

Click Here (www.auberins.com)                  

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

I will assume that you got a 1/4 20 screw in thermocouple, or similar metric, if you bought a simple PID, SSR, and thermocouple combo.  The Auber M4-0.7 is likely correct.  You call or email them to confirm or take your screw in bimetal to the hardware store and match the thread.

If you want to be economical, then something like this

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

I have used the green one with the plug cut off and a small bit of wire stripped to connect to the PID controller.  

If you already have your stuff the Auber RTD gets expensive for it and shipping.  You also need thermal paste though you can often get small quantities from electrical supply stores.  You can remove the leads from the bimetal and just use it as a screw clamp, or get a screw and washer to fit.  Warning, the bimetals have brass threads, do not over tighten or the stud simply breaks off.

Metric thread designation for m4-0.7 size and pitch of thread.

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gran Gaggia  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254649877548)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+