Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
nuova simonelli appia not working , please help !!!
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > nuova simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
coffeeaddict78

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: nuova simonelli appia single...
Grinder: rancilio
Roaster: poppery 2
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 6:51am
Subject: nuova simonelli appia not working , please help !!!

Hello everybody , new member here , just bought my first espresso machine ( a used auto appia 1 group )  . The previous owner  hooked it up to a garden hose for me when I went to see it , as he was using it in a catering business and didn't have it plumbed in . He had a pod kit on it , he pulled a shot of espresso and we also tested the steam wand and hot water dispenser , everything worked perfectly so we made a deal and took it home .
The machine was sitting on my kitchen counter for a month as I was really busy with work and now I finally have it plumbed in.
When I turn the machine on , the lights come on and what I believe is the water pump kicks in (loud humming )for about 5 seconds and then stops . However , when i hit the brew button, water is not coming out of the group and the hot water dispenser and  steam wand are not working either !!! I also left the machine on for over an hour and the boiler is not getting hot at all !!!
Please help !!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 5:31am
Subject: Re: nuova simonelli appia not working , please help !!!

That is a nice machine.
As it worked when you made the deal and does not now, a connection may have shaken loose in transportation.

The machine has auto fill on the boiler and the machine checks the water level when first turned on, I suspect that this is what you are hearing for 5 seconds though now, it should be full and not doing that anymore.

Is it plumbed in? Do you have positive water pressure ? The steam and hot water systems require a hot boiler to work so if you are not getting any heat, they will not work.

There should be an over temp safety switch on the boiler, there should be a reset button in the center. Start by pressing the button, if it clicks, you have reset it. Some machines have a non resetable over temp though and I am not sure of which your machine has.

Look for loose or unconnected wires on the heater and at the Pressure stat, this is in the circuit that heats the water.

You are going to need a good grinder to get the most from that machine, a Rocky will work but is pretty far from what will do justice to that machine.

EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE MACHINE BEFORE OPENING IT UP, YOU ARE PLACING YOUR HANDS NEAR AND ON LIVE CIRCUITS, YOU MAY BE INJURED OR KILLED IF YOU TOUCH THE WRONG THING AND THE MACHINE IS LIVE.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeeaddict78

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 8:10am

I opened her up last night , checked for loose connections and everything looked fine ! I tried resetting the over temp safety switch but it was pushed in already !  

The machine is plumbed in using 1/4" tubing , an inline water filter and chris' prv . However , the boiler was half full when I brought the machine home and  water level didn't  change after I plumbed it in  !

I noticed a few days ago while reading the user's manual online that nuova simonelli says to not use tubing smaller than 3/8 " . Could that be the issue ?!

Thank you
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 8:55am

Well, the simple stuff has been taken care of, more in depth looking is going to be needed.

There is an air space in the boiler, it will NOT be full to the top. There is a water level probe in the boiler, when the water is at the proper level, the water makes contact with the probe, completing the circuit and stopping the pump filling the boiler.

I am using 1/4" ice maker line to fill my ECM, the run is about 15 feet of water line and it works fine, the pump may run slightly longer to fill the boiler but that would not prevent the machine from turning on.

The fact that when you push the brew button, nothing happens points to either a lack of power getting to the brain box or a problem with the box. You should get water flow even if the water is cold, there are two independent systems at work here.

I don't remember, if there is a water level sight glass, (your comments indicate that there is) as long as the water is in the normal range on the glass and the machine is level, (not on it's side etc, flat on the counter is good enough) the water level should be close enough. My machine will turn the pump on at startup as when hot, it maintains the water level properly, then when cool, the water level is slightly lower so it bumps the water up just a little to get to the probe. About 5 seconds, like you said yours is on.

You will know in 5 min or so if it is warming up, if your room is quiet, you may even hear the element heating the water in the boiler sooner but 5 min is enough to start to feel heat in the boiler. My machine reaches boiler temp in 5 to 6 minutes and the vacuum breaker closes.

The problem still sounds like a loose wire or bad connection, I really doubt the brain box has failed but power  to it might have.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeeaddict78

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 4:20pm

Here's a short video I recorded of what the machine is doing after startup :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3zfFnez7G8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The machine has a water level sight glass and the level is right in the middle  .

Is there a possibility that a  clogged valve could be causing all of this ?
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 4:43pm

Is that a 220v machine?
coffeeaddict78

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 5:57am

It's a 110
ddubick

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 8:07am

Something definately wrong there.  You have no line water pressure, the pump is running dry.

I hope you didn't damage it running it dry for that long.

The bottom pressure gauge should be showing around 4-5 bars of pressure if you have it plumbed in properly (the blue colored section of the dial).

Hope you get it working, I love my Appia.  How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 8:50am

ddubick Said:

Something definately wrong there.  You have no line water pressure, the pump is running dry.

I hope you didn't damage it running it dry for that long.

Posted July 19, 2013 link

+1
coffeeaddict78

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 9:56am

Is the pump trying to pump water out of the boiler or the water line ? According to the water level sight glass the boiler has water in it already !

Paid 1300 for the machine and the md50 grinder , it was a package deal .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > nuova simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237756967545)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+