Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Grimac MIA ELE GICAR BOARD HUNT (was Modifying a Volumetric...)
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Grimac MIA ELE...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 9:34am
Subject: Re: Modifying a Volumetric Single Group HX machine to a non Volumetric semi

1st Line has a 115vac version of that controller available.  Perhaps they can find the 230vac version for you too?

Gicar-Brain-Unit-9-5-17-85G00-115V-La-Vittoria-Classica-V1GE-148p1149

Out of Romania I see what appears to be the same part in 230v for about US$165:
Part 402245

Good luck!
 View Profile Link to this post
jpboyt

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:40am
Subject: Re: Modifying a Volumetric Single Group HX machine to a non Volumetric semi

Missing Mr. Boyt...
Hello. I do stop in here on occasion. The particular box probably can be repaired. I have fixed many that have been used as "fuses" in the middle of something else dying. I'm not at the shop right now but I also may have a used replacement box. If someone wanted to buy the 110 volt version new, I can replace the transformer with a 230volt. I install a fair amount of 230 volt transformers, often because someone puts a 110v box in a 220 machine. If there is still fiberglass circuit board I can fix it. When Mr Sparky blows a hole in the board I have to get more creative. Boyt Enterprises is how the IRS knows me.
jpboyt
jannus

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS ElliMatic & OLD Via...
Grinder: mazzer sj
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: yup
Roaster: nope
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:33am

Welcome back mr Boyt!   Perhaps you can also confirm my theory regarding fitting different replacement controllers?

Mayong_md, I've looked at my ellimatic, and it's got a Giemme MFC2SN 230V box.  Obviously it is similar to the standard Gicar in that it can do boiler autofill, has a safety and indicator for the water reservoir level, and can work with a pressurestat, element, etc.  Not sure how much of those things are just wired in series with the element (for example), and how much actually goes to the controller as inputs.

I also found this thread
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
that seems to cover a bit on the same subject.

Cheers,
Jan
jpboyt

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 4:45pm

I looked on the shelf and I have one of the Gicar 9.5.17.85 boxes. Studying the schematic on the side shows this controller to turn on a Solid State Relay (SSR) to enable heating. SSR normally provides power to the pressurestat. SSR is controlled by a low water sensor. This prevents dry boiler heating.
Biggest challlenge with trying to find  replacement for this box has to do with connectors. If it was me and I had to have a new box I would try the Romania source. Voltage is correct and price is cheaper. If you want it repaired, then a small business in Wilkeson, Washington, USA is probably your best choice. There are other boxes that could be persuaded to work but they do require changing most of the the wire terminations. Sticking with the 16 pin touchpad even limits the choices more. There may be Giemme boxes that will interchange funtionally but you are still stuck with a transformer swap out. This box, as used in the USA, is primarily used in home machines. The MFC2SN 230V box is more commonly found in 115V machines. I don't remember what comes in what.... I just fix the circuit boards. :-)
Age must be catching up with me.
 There was a day when "Small block Chevy" was the answer to any motor swap question.
   Can't think of the equivalent answer here.

jpboyt
mayong_md

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 9:19pm
Subject: Re: Grimac MIA ELE GICAR BOARD HUNT (was Modifying a Volumetric...)

BTW, I retitled the thread to a more appropriate one. I guess, with all the newer inputs, my hopes are up again in terms of getting the board replaced. I'll reserve the major mod if the search doesn't turn out :-(

DanoM: Thanks you very much for the links. I'll try 1st Line. Re: the Romania site, I tried their online shopping option but seems they only honor local-Romanian purchases. I sent them an email instead and hope to get a response.

Jannus: Thanks again for the leads. I bookmarked the pages. I may have to go that route (swapping board brands) if Mr. Boyt can't help ;-)

jpboyt: thanks for the quick response time. Also, for bringing back the hope in that I might be able to minimize mod'ing my MIA. The Gicar that's available in 1st Line Equipment, it has the same connectors and schema, except for the voltage. Can you mod this for use into a 230V machine? Is this what you meant by changing the board transformer?

Thanks to all - again! CG rocks!
mayong_md

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 4:32am
Subject: Re: Grimac MIA ELE GICAR BOARD HUNT (was Modifying a Volumetric...)

]I was able to get this from my searches. A schema of the electricals of the La Valentina ELE, a very close relative of the MIA.
Maybe this can help identify possible replacement boards.

Click Here (i756.photobucket.com)

Thanks
vinalopo
vinalopo

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV; La...
Grinder: Compak k3 touch; Ascaso...
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 12:15pm

Have you tried to contacto Grimac? they have a spare parts search form (http://www.grimac.it/eng/ricambi.php) or the controller manufacturer (info@gicarsrl.com) or this coffee parts seller (http://www.chisko.com/contattaci.aspx they resell nuova ricambi parts)?

if you need help with the Italian language let me know
mayong_md

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:21am
Subject: Thank you MR. Boyt.

Hello again forumers,

@vinalopo: thanks for the input. Yes, I did get in touch with gicar, and they pointed me to grimac.it. They never replied, though. Grimac Royal Falcon, through Mr. Marcantonio, sent me a reply. He says he'll try to source the box for me and still hasn't updated supply status.

To all: well, it seems my quest for the box MAY soon be over. Through the input of GVDub, I have met - through email, Mr. JP Boyt, who has found 2 boxes for me. He has mailed them to the Philippines. It will take about 3-4 weeks to get here. I really hope those boxes are what I need. I would not want to think of a back up plan, as I would not like to break the trend of "THE SECRET". I am thinking POSITIVE on this one. This is it.

Thanks Mr. Boyt, for putting up with my late night (as to your timezone) emails. I will keep in touch.

Next post will be a success story sometime in August :-)

See ya'all
Mario
mayong_md

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 3:51am
Subject: Re: Thank you MR. Boyt.

I HAVE COFFEE!

Gicar boards arrived today. Installed. and Voila! No more continuous beeping. It was nerve wracking to wait for the pump to fill boiler, but when it did, NO OVERFILLING ISSUE.

Thanks to MR BOYT!!!

Thanks GVDUB again, too.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Grimac MIA ELE...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22275185585)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+