Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Heavily Modifided 'Starbucks Barista' SIN 006
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Heavily...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lowesdown
Lowesdown
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 1:19pm
Subject: Heavily Modifided 'Starbucks Barista' SIN 006

So after much creeping on many forums I wanted to show off my heavily modified Starbucks barista.

It all started when I saw it sitting on the shelf in my buddies garage. I asked him what the status was, he said broken. I said I can recycle it as he switched to a pods machine.

The first mod was a PID from auber instruments, very simple install and great shots started flowing from the machine. I found the working area fairly dim and didnt like the ping pong ball in the resivoir idea, i wired in IKEA LED pucks mounted to illuminate the water chamber and the work surface. Once I had worked at it and dialed in my espresso, the next progression was lattes. Unfortunately the boiler for steaming isn't to powerful. I saw one picture online of someone with a steam thermostat override switch.

So I wanted to get the word out and hopefully help those looking to modify these bad boys!

How the switch works: it closes the thermostat, telling the boiler to kick on.

*use a momentary switch* I blew up the supply line to the boils by forgetting a regular switch in the on position. ($5 part to fix it)

I made sure to use high temp wire (extra from my PID install)
And drilled it into the side casing right below the steam knob, so I can bypass the thermostat while steaming. I make sure to watch the temp readout as I override to make sure it doesn't get too high.

I can now make enough micro foamed milk to make one latte, all I need. Now it's just dialing in my latte art.

Any questions ask away, I want to help those who are looking to mod one of these now, with up to date information. And hopefully support.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 4:06pm
Subject: Re: Heavily Modifided 'Starbucks Barista' SIN 006

Welcome to the board.
Congratulations on getting it fired up again. I tend to favor the PID that includes regulating the steam function also. You may have wired your by pas switch in the wrong place as there is an over temp safety to prevent too high of a temp. hang around, we have a lot you can learn.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 4:08pm

I forgot to ask, what grinder do you have? It is MUCH more important than the machine as is fresh, less than two weeks from the day it was roasted on.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 4:12pm

I forgot to ask, what grinder do you have? It is MUCH more important than the machine as is fresh, less than two weeks from the day it was roasted on coffee

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Lowesdown
Lowesdown

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 4:21pm

Well, for my grinder I have a Baratza virtuoso presciso, and my beans are locally roasted and I'm never more than two weeks past roast date.

As far as thermal cutoff it boiled the water in the inlet tube so hot it melted, but never tripped the thermal cutoff.

The switch is only wired so I can basically turn the boiler on during steam function. I haven't eliminated the existing thermostat.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 5:26pm

Scott, nice to see you posting on CG.

It looks like you've made some nice mods to your Barista. Since you mentioned having high temperature wiring left over, I will assume that you made up your own wiring and did not buy a kit. It would be fairly easy to hook up the alarm function of the controller to run the steam temperature when you flip normal steam switch. Many of us have done a do-it-yourself install including do-it-yourself alarm function steam control. If you have not already looked, it involves wiring an AC to DC power supply 4.5 V up to about 24 V. Many of the small cell phone hands-free device chargers have lithium batteries and run at about 4.5 up to 5.5 V. The AC voltage from your steam switch turns on the DC voltage  which in turn will run the SSR. The positive line of the DC voltage source runs through the PID controller across the alarm switch which then regulates on and off at your specified temperatures such as between 290 and 291 Fahrenheit or corresponding centigrade. Since you have already gotten this far it should be a very easy hook up.  Ask if you have further interest in this.

Watching the controller temperature and using a momentary switch is also a simple solution as you done.

You may be interested in the following thread as most of the SBDU machines works similarly.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Lowesdown
Lowesdown

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 12:46am

I haven't yet done the alarm function, what extra is needed to make this happen?

I also have spare parts from another machine. I'm playing with the idea of making it into a double boiler machine. Thoughts?
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 7:04pm

I started with this

http://www.skenedesign.com/Silvia/

That shows a power source, such as cell phone charger used to obtain a DC source.  A 9v battery can also be used and changed as needed, seldom I suspect.  Diodes keep the power supplyDC and DC from the PID from having problems.

The short version is that you are disconnecting the wires from the steam switch to turn on the steam because the alarm function will do that via a high PID alarm temperature.  The Steam switch instead turns on the DC power supply which has the positive line go through the PID alarm.  The alarm controls the DC, obviously only when there is DC because you use the steam switch, to drive the temperature over your SV and that shuts off the PID functions.  

See page 27 and a couple pages following

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Power supply on 25 and 26 and 25 will help if you look at the Gaggia diagram noted and see what the switch does.

Diodes and list page 19

You could probably skim many of the pages 16 - about 30.  You already have done the PID and you can just look for diodes, power supplies ...

Please look at the PID thread and let me know more specifically what you want to know.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Heavily...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248471021652)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+