Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
ns elli matic manual
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > ns elli matic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jannus

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS ElliMatic & OLD Via...
Grinder: mazzer sj
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: yup
Roaster: nope
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 1:58pm
Subject: ns elli matic manual

Hi everyone,

After a long time of searching, I finally bought my first 'real' espresso machine, namely a NS Elli Matic.  It's in pretty good nick, but obviously quite old.  I've given it a good scrubbing, and would like to drain the boiler as a 'good start', but the drain plug is pretty stuck.  Hopefully I'll get that sorted tomorrow.

I'm really excited!!!  I've read what I can, and I've learnt that it's the predecessor of the Oscar, and shares some of it's flaws, but is a good, well-built machine.

I've done some searching, and the closest to a manual was on the NS USA site, which is only a partial blow-up diagram.  Being a techie guy, I'd really like a wiring diagram, and maybe a proper hydraulic diagram, etc.  I promise I won't start modding it until my technique is vastly refined, though!

Does anybody have a pdf that is distributable, or a link, or some info?

Thanks!
Jan
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 7:03am
Subject: Re: ns elli matic manual

Hi,
Congrats on the "new" machine.
Yes, Elli is pre Oscar and as it is getting older now you may have some issues with parts from NS. You may find them online though or non OEM parts that perform the same function may be able to be installed. I am not aware of anyplace other than NS for what you seek but it is possible someone has a PDF someplace!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 7:52am

Email sent.

I'm quite happy witih my Ellimatic, though it has its quirks. Not a lot of room between the portafilter and the drip tray, so cup size can be restricted. I've managed. Drip tray is amall, but my solution is to do the HX cooling and rinsing flushes either into the cup or shot glass to warm it, or into a collapsible silicon bowl so I don't have to empty the drip tray every two or three shots.
jannus

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 12:58pm

Thanks, cal.  :-)  I'm very excited!  It was within budget, I grabbed for less than half of the price I last saw an oldish oscar for.  Lots to learn, this is not a short term plan!

Thanks GVDub!  All the details I'd hoped for.  I see the tray can be modded with a drain, but I think I'll do what you do for now.  The driptray of this model is just that, to catch drips, not flushes!

Small clearance indeed, but I'll live with it :-)

Thanks again!  Next step is to get that drainplug off.....it'll have to be by heat & cooling to manage that by the looks of things.  

Cheers!
ellimatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Ellimatic
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 10:48am

You can descale an elli without removing the drain plug.  Get it hot, unplug, tip forward, open steam valve, water comes out at high pressure.

Put citric acid/water in a bowl.  Put inlet tube into bowl.  Plug in and refill boiler with acid mix.  Let sit.  Then get hot, unplug and drain via steam wand again.

There's a youtube video of a guy doing it with his Oscar.  Works the same way.

As to the portafilter height.  Get a hole saw slightly smaller than the portafilter body.  Cut out bottom of portafilter with a drill press.  Get a real basket as the elli's stock basket is too small and short.  Bottomless portafilter, 18g shots and much more gap between drip tray and portafilter.  And more crema.
jannus

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 4:13am

Hi Ellimatic,

Ah, that does make more sense...  I somehow misunderstood that I should just tip the machine and open the wand, which I'm afraid didn't give much results.  Will try it this way, thanks very much!  

Portabliter - will definitely try.  Cutting brass shouldn't be too hard!  :)

Cheers,
Jan
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > ns elli matic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191068887711)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+