Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
NS Appia Volumetric keypad issues
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > NS Appia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 6:49pm
Subject: NS Appia Volumetric keypad issues

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help me. I rebuilt a Nuova Simonelli Appia with volumetric dosing and I am now at the point where I'm putting it through its paces. I noticed the power button is stuck in the "on" position, a few of the LEDs are not illuminating including the one over the power button, and when I first started the machine the pump motor would continue to run after the autofill probe had shut off the autofill solenoid. I had to unplug the machine a few times to make this symptom disappear. The machine will continue to heat whether the keypad is plugged in or not. All other functions are normal including the pressurestat, it will cycle the element on and off according to boiler pressure.

I was very careful to only remove as many wires as was required to remove the harness from the frame. Everything was labeled, and put back in its proper place. It is possible a wire may be crossed but everything matches visually to the photographs I took before disassembly.

I wonder if anyone knows how I could narrow the problem down to the keypad or control card, and what points to check with my meter. The pump was seized when I bought the unit, so I did not run it up completely before disassembly, but I'm pretty sure the power button worked as it should. Also, is there anywhere I can send either the keypad or control card for repair, or am I stuck buying new units. Thanks very much
 View Profile Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 10:12am
Subject: Re: NS Appia Volumetric keypad issues

Post a pic of your motherboard with the connections showing.  I can cross reference my machine tonight (assuming it's a 1 group).

I think I remember hooking stuff up wrong once and similar issues happening.
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 1:17pm

Thanks,
I think I may have zapped the cards when installing them into the machine as it was sitting on a stainless sideboard when I did it and there's a chance I touched the card or a wire to it before grounding myself on the sideboard. Here's a look at the card, anyhow. Thanks

Click Here (i57.photobucket.com)
ddubick

Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 7:55pm

Unfortunately everything looks fine there connection wise.
ddubick

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 12:06pm

Have you checked to see if the control panel cable is completely plugged in at the panel side (underneath the plastic cover on the backside)?

Also what do you mean the button is stuck in the 'on' position?  The model I have just has a plastic overlay with momentary switches underneath, there would be no way for it to stick.  I have seen newer appias with actual plasic buttons but I beleive they just sit on top of momentary switches.  If you have the newer plastic button model it could be that there is plastic flashing on the button or something and it's just sticking.  That being said, have you tried operating the machine with the control panel buttons detached from the front?  Perhaps the power button sticking is causing the problems with the rest?

Looks like the control board is a $350 part, it would be a shame if it was actually the cause.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > NS Appia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203628063202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+