Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Coding a universal Arduino Coffee Control unit with pid
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Coding a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
tinyenormous

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: gaggia coffee
Grinder: bodium bistro burr / Hario...
Drip: v60 / aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 8:28am
Subject: Re: Coding a universal Arduino Coffee Control unit with pid

Ouch!
Pressure sensors are pricey!
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=ffec5663

That's going to be on the "wait until I can find a surplus sensor" list for now. I bet it could still easily be controlled (blindly) by pwm/modulating the pump pressure.

Ross
 View Profile Link to this post
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:17am

There's a Korean poster on YouTube that has a PWM for his vibe pump that seems to have good control.  You'd likely have to test it in various environments, but I would guess you can dial in the pressure with this and have it be relatively stable for pressure?  Of course an analog meter to keep an eye on things wouldn't hurt either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ugl5pp5zaQ

What I would like to do is convert his PWM controller into using either a spring loaded slide rheostat or a 1/4 turn rheostat so that you could put a mini manual electro-lever on the machine for pulling shots.  Pull down harder against a spring for more pressure, ease up for less, etc...  Put in an analog pressure meter next to the lever and you'd have a very nice manual addon to that PWM system.

I did read somewhere that the Ulka pumps do tend to loose some flow as they age, so you might have to tune your PWM settings from time to time.

Ah... To have an endless supply of cash to spend on such mods!  LOL
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:33pm

Ross,
You can control the pump vis the controller.  It is similar to PWM but not called PWM.  Look up Phase control (phase fired control, signal chopping etc).  Essentially to control the ac coil you still need to have something that is similar to an AC signal (60 hz that is).  The way you control it is to delay the turn on time from when the voltage is at zero.  To do this you must have something that senses the zero crossing of the AC voltage.  Google it for more info.

You also need to have a type of relay that is a random fire type, meaning that it can turn on anywhere in the AC Wave.  It is more typical to find a zero crossing SSR, meaning that it always turns on only when the voltage is zero.

BillC
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 4:51pm

Looks like a fun project, I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I "eventually" want to do some modding to my Elektra project machine and a data logger would be useful.
joshblake

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 9:44pm

]Just came across this topic! I love the idea's here! I've actually already completed a lot of the feature-set that everyone is looking for including the AC-phase chopping to allow pressure control at the pump. Check it out: http://josh.to/crema. I'll be dropping the source code and hardware files under the Creative Commons Share-Alike Attribution license for anyone that's interested!

Regarding pressure transducers - I believe Auber Instruments sells them for a reasonable price that provides a ratiometric voltage output dependent upon the pressure Click Here (www.auberins.com).

I've been considering adding a 16-bit DAC to allow for a voltage dependent output to allow for Linear-Voltage-Dependent-SSRs as well as geared pumps (from Fluid-o-tech etc.). Although I have no immediate need for these features myself.

Cheers!

Josh.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Coding a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189079046249)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+