Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Oscar pumping water into drip tray--not 3-way?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Oscar pumping...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
joey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:16am
Subject: Oscar pumping water into drip tray--not 3-way?

I've had oscar for a little while.  Did backflushing every-other week or so.  A few days ago I noticed the pump would randomly turn on and off.  It started getting more frequent.  As of yesterday when I turn the machine on the pump would turn on.  I thought maybe the water got low but thats not the case--the water was pumping right into the drip tray.  
I assumed the 3-way was dirty from the searches here and what other sites suggested.  I went to take it off and in the bottom orifice there were small bits of green plastic.  Since the 3-way is off I'm going to clean it but where did the green plastic come from?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 1:49am
Subject: Re: Oscar pumping water into drip tray--not 3-way?

check here

#01000090 one way retaining valve $6

then here

how to gain access

HTH

Gluck
 View Profile Link to this post
joey

Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 8:17am

Thanks plindy--that was bad and I did change it.  I also put the 3-way back together, checked my water level sensor probe (which was clean) and put it back together.  
Started it up and I still have water trickling from the 3-way to the drip tray.  The pump is also running constantly.  Bad 3-way?  But would a bad 3-way make the pump run constantly?
plindy
plindy

Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 3:28am

3 way , don't think so
but a failed or failing brew switch would , there is a plastic slider inside the switch which can break... it makes a momentary connection to the 3 way to start the "pre infusion" without engaging the pump.
push the brew switch  several times and see if the pump stops
#04200051 mounting tabs for the switch usually break on removl
wires to three way look similar ?
Gluck

plindy: 66.jpg
(Click for larger image)
joey

Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 4:52pm

rapidly pressing the brew button did not make the brewing stop.  but while trying i noticed that the heating element light was not turning on...  great..  
while trying to make the brewing stop by pressing the brew button rapidly i tried turning the machine on and off rapidly.  the heat light kicked on and off as i did that though.  would a bad brew switch make the heating element not turn on?
plindy
plindy

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 2:39am

maybe
The on/off and the brew switch are the same
the brew switch is connected to almost everything , directly or thru the brain box

download oscar instruction
manual
page 53 has the only electrical info

as best as I can figure out the brain

1 Tank sensor
2 Level sensor
3 GND
4 Pump - brew
5 Element
6 2-way solenoid
7 Pump - autofill
8 Neutral
9 No water light
10 Power IN

HTH

plindy: elettricooscar.jpg
(Click for larger image)
joey

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 5:38am

i just thought of something...  when i said that the machine is constantly pumping i should have worded it differently.  the machine makes a quieter pumping sound to fill the boiler sometimes when the brew switch is not engaged.  it makes a louder pumping sound when the switch is engaged.  its the quieter pumping thats going constantly.  
if i press the power button the quieter pumping sound starts and the heat element switches on for just a second then off but the quiet pumping continues.  if i press the brew button the louder pumping starts.  does that make sense?  i hope its not the brain and it's just the brew switch--or am i looking at something else?
plindy
plindy

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 3:39am

confirm boiler is full to level probe
it can take over 2 min to fill
confirm thermostat button is pushed in
if the pump runs for a min does it fill the drip tray?

If you get a new switch hook up the wires to it and test it  before trying to remove old switch
joey

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 7:11pm

my oscar is older so it doesnt have a thermostat switch--it has a thermal fuse.  when it's blown the light stays on but the boiler doesnt heat (at least that's what happened when the fuse blew once before)
I did order a new brew switch, I will try that once it arrives.
I just now turned oscar on and let it go for 2 minutes and it didnt stop.  it just kept pumping and water kept trickling into the drip tray (via the hose on the right hand side which is the 3-way, correct?).  the drip tray did not however fill up.  In one minute 2/3 of a cup of water went in and 100% went into the drip tray.
after this i took the fill sensor off--the boiler isn't even half full of water (which i'm assuming is why the element never turned on).  This now gives me more questions than answers.  To sum it up, what would cause the pump to pump water through the 3-way into the drip tray and not fill up the boiler?
plindy
plindy

Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 3:35am

My understanding was early or older oscar's had thermostat switch on the side of the boiler above the heating element , later or newer oscar's had the thermal fuse in the heating element.

Yes the discharge for the 3way is on the right side.
Did you completely disassemble the 3way , after removing it from the group head?
Do the spring loaded seals within the piston move freely , as does the piston in the long body?
No bits of scale or green valve blocking the seals ability to seal?

Was the tip of the fill sensor wet when you removed it?
If not , funnel a few ounces of water in until it is.
There should be a little less than 3" of empty space for the steam in the boiler.

To sum up , a blocked 2way , and a partially open 3way  could cause your condition.
both could be electrical or mechanical. To disassemble the 2way , use the nut from the 3way and the 2way to double nut , force against each other , to unscrew the long part from the brass body. Check and clean piston , seals , and springs  for free movement.

HTH
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Oscar pumping...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38129901886)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+