Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Can I Add a PID to my Breville Barista Express? How? What does it do?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Can I Add a PID...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jonbik

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 3:59pm
Subject: Can I Add a PID to my Breville Barista Express? How? What does it do?

Title says it all...
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 4:47pm
Subject: Re: Can I Add a PID to my Breville Barista Express? How? What does it do?

If you don't know what it does, why do you want one?  There's a very good wiki on what it does, but in short, it gives a much tighter control over fluctuations in boiler temperature, by cycling the heating element at more stringent parameters.

I would think you can add it to any machine that doesn't have it already...though I don't know your machine at all...and I may be wrong in assuming that.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 6:27am
Subject: Re: Can I Add a PID to my Breville Barista Express? How? What does it do?

Basic PID allows for temp adjustment and better brew temp overall.  Others allow for brew and steam control.

It's possible on any machine but some are harder to install than others depending on the machine.  If you are just looking for temp adjust then it's pretty simple.  

Here is a basic model.  Read the info and manual.  

PID

PID is the interface, SSR is the switch that connects directly to the heat element, Connect the PID to the SSR.

If you look at the back of the PID it's 2 terminals for PID power, temp sensor, SSR.  It's a simple install but you need to rip apart your machine for this.. If you get it installed you will have one happening machine :D
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 3:28pm

You probably can, but, since the Barista Express is a thermoblock (or "thermocoil," as Breville calls it) machine, not boiler-based, I can't think of any possible advantage to be gained from doing so.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 7:04pm

No OP reply since opening the thread and that was last log on..   I have watched this thread unsure how to respond.  I looked up the machines.  The Barista Express BES 870 has “electronic PID temperature control for increased temperature stability” and the BES 860 has “digital technology” for accurate temperature control.  This may be on an internal board as I do not see the controller or digital readout. Which machine is the OP asking about and how is the temperature controlled?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Can I Add a PID...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209395170212)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+