Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Next Mod: PID my Gaggia Classic
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Next Mod: PID my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 12:21pm
Subject: Re: Next Mod: PID my Gaggia Classic

Custom laser cut EPDM rubber gasket.

daduck748: IMG_2996.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
 View Profile Link to this post
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 12:23pm

I've made these before but I hadn't worked with this particular material with an adhesive backing before.  It cut really nicely but it was a b*tch to install.  The adhesive is SUPER sticky... but forgivable enough to allow me to push it around into the correct places.

Now, the Gaggia's stainless steel face is protected by the new face plate.

daduck748: IMG_2997.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 12:25pm

I got all five buttons working, complete with independently illuminated LEDs, blue to match the LCD.  Each button is responding as expected.  Now to program each button.

I can see the finish line...

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 12:37pm

I've already been looking at the steam system.  The steam port on the sensor mount lines up perfectly... or near perfectly with the knob hole, so the plan is this:

- Since the steam port was cut to1/8 NPT, I'm going to install a ~2" 1/8 NPT brass pipe (should be fairly easy to find at Home Depot or any local hardware store) into the steam port.

- Attached to the end of the brass pipe, I'll install a 90 degree ball valve.  The knob facing the hole, obviously, and the exit facing down.  I'll have to make an adapter to go from 1/8 NPT to M10 (or M18 to fit the Silvia V3 wand directly, which should take up about 3/4" at the top of the steam wand).  A ball valve will allow full on/full off with a 90 degree turn, instead of 3-4 full turns.  Of course, this limits the precision of the stream output, but just from my experience, it's usually partially on to start, then full on, which isn't too difficult.  That's how it is on commercial machines also (1/4 turn).

- I'll fabricate a custom knob, probably out of stainless steel for that nice stainless, commercial look.

- And that SHOULD be all she wrote, unless something unexpected happens... which we all know could and most likely would.

The only problem I'm having with this setup right now is the 90 degree 1/8 NPT is hard to find.  McMaster has one but it's in the $35 range.

One of the 5 buttons will control the 3-way and raise the PID temperature to say, 235-250F to develop steam.

Well, at least SOME good comes from a slow economy.  I get a little more time to work on my PIDruino project... although I have other internal products to work on.

More to come!

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 3:21pm

More pictures of progress.

In the BUFF!

In case anyone wants to take off the Gaggia Classic emblem, be careful.  First, it's NOT plastic like we would tend to think.  It's probably tin, very soft and I nearly broke it, pulling it off.  There are, as you can see, three holes for three pins (also very soft).  Just remove the boiler from the four bolts at the bottom and unbend the pins.  The emblem should pull right out.  You probably don't need to remove the boiler, but it took all of about 60 seconds by doing so.  Otherwise, I'd say 5-10 minutes minimum.

daduck748: IMG_2998.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 3:21pm

PIDruino'ed Gaggia Classic.

daduck748: IMG_2999.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 3:22pm

The business side of things.  You can see the SD slot.  I found it to be overkill after I fitted the SD shield in it... but it looks cool.

Below is the USB port.

daduck748: IMG_3002.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 3:25pm

Here it is, giving me the current time and date (actually it's slow by ~10 minutes.  I'll have to fix that later), and the two internal thermocouples.  The heaters aren't on, so it's "room temperature" water.

The five "L's" are reading "LOW" status on each of the switches.  They individually go "H" for "HIGH" when pressed.  The LED's light up blue when pressed as well (not shown in pictures).

daduck748: IMG_3003.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 3:28pm

Well, it's not done yet.  I still have to do the following:
- Hook up the SSR for the pump
- Hook up another SSR for the 3-way (which I forgot to account for, so I think the third TC amplifier has to be sacraficed
- Install a 5 volt power supply inside the machine for the electronics
- Finish the program

The program will be a work-in-progress, so it will probably never be "done".

I have to get it at least working tonight so I can have espresso tomorrow. :D

At some point, I still have to find some suitable smoke tinted film for the face.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Fri May 3, 2013, 10:44am

Alright.  I was too excited to see this puppy in action, I hadn't finished putting in the SD and implementing the data logger, but hooked up everything else and too her for a test run.

Since the datalogger isn't connected, I have no qualitative results at this time, but I can say that starting a shot at 200F, I'm ending it (around 25 seconds) at around 175-180F consistently.  Now, that still seems a bit low, and I'll start tuning that in the software (and can only optimize it as far as the hardware will allow), but it was dropping to around 165F before the current PID algorithm.

Since my controls are completely under digital control now, I can and will implement a 'preheat/prep' sequence with the shot button.  This will not start the shot immediately.  It will get the heaters warmed up and ready for the inrush of cold/cool water, so the 'burners' will be heating the cool water as quickly as possible, but shutting down before the shot is done (maybe on a 10-15 second timer, starting when the shot button is pressed) so it doesn't overshoot the target temperature.  Hopefully, this should narrow this temperature window for a more precise espresso.

With a multi-channel thermocouple system, I have tried basing the PID function on the external TC, and although the temps between external and internal water normally remain close (within 10F of each other), there is a terrible lag (somewhere around 5 seconds).  However, with a good algorithm (my hand coded/non-PID), I am able to predict and keep the temp stable within 0.1F (non-shot).  With an implemented PID algorithm and a bunch of tuning (not done yet), I'm within about 1F (displaying the external temp, not the water temp).

I'm finding it much more difficult to keep the actual water temp within 1F with a PID algorithm.  So far, I'm within 15F.  I'll install the SD module today so I have actual numbers to work with.

So far, so good!  Espresso is much better today, probably since the temp is not dropping to 165F.  Time to close that gap.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Next Mod: PID my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27222776413)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+