Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Want to add brew pressure Gauge need Advice
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Want to add brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
monza64

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 8:44am
Subject: Want to add brew pressure Gauge need Advice

Hello Everyone

I currently own a Izzo Vivi machine that has served me well over the past few years, but I have decided I would like to add a Brew Pressure Gauge to the machine but and a bit confused as to which line I should be tapping into. I have loaded up pictures of the plumbing from each side of the machine. One side you can see the OPV. I presume the line comes from the pump to the OPV and seem to head into the bottom of the boiler (I think) , where it meets up the a line coming from the other side which seems to come from the pumps other end, I assume this is the pressure side. Where should I be tapping into the line?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

monza64: Machine 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
monza64

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 8:45am
Subject: Re: Want to add brew pressure Gauge need Advice

Sorry forgot to include the second pic

monza64: Machine1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DavecUK

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 3:07pm

Why do you want a brew pressure gauge, what for exactly....it's not a stupid question?

The answer determines what exactly you need to do.
monza64

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 4:42pm

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I guess im looking to use it as more of a measure to if i am in range of 9 bars more or less while brewing. I guess a more exact measurement would be to have a portafilter type gauge.  I was also hoping to be able to check the over all system pressure using a blind occasionally. I dont profess to be an expert in coffee thus just trying to learn more and improve my techniques and equipment in general.  Any info you are willing to share is greatly appreciated
DavecUK

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 5:47pm

OK, that's what I suspected. Well believe me or not the only reason for a brew pressure gauge, is to check the pump output is between 8.5 to 10 bar (range of whatever specific pressure you prefer) against a blind filter. The only reason for a Pressure measuring portafilter, is to check the pump output and in addition a check of preinfusion working correctly and ramp speed of the pump (not so much rotary, but vibration ramp speed).

There is no other reason, not to check whether your coffee is ground right, too fine too course....no. If the pump is at say 9 bar static pressure against a blind filter, the coffee should be grouhnd to the finness required to get a correct extraction e.g. 28 second, about 1oz, no blonding.

You would have a far better diagnostic tool, to purchase a pressure measuring portafilter and use that once a year to check the brew pressure and preinfusion. To fit one to the panel is not really worth it and less valuable as a diagnostic tool, because it can't tell you anything about preinfusion.
monza64

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 8:32pm

That is some great information you have provided and will definitely take it into consideration. One more reson for the gauge as i have one sitting around so for the cost of a t fitting may be worth throwing it in anyway.  But back to the original question does it matter what side of the 3 way fitting where the tubes meet should the fitting be place. Looking at the machine further i may have answered my own question as i dont think it matters which side long as its as far away from the pump. I guess im looking more for confirmation at this point.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 2:22am

it doesn't matter where is is as long as it is in the brew circuit, doesn't matter if it is near to the pump, but if you have the gauge why not mount it to a portafilter instead.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Want to add brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.220153808594)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+