Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Adding LEDs to my Isomac - Electrical help?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adding LEDs to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 1:03pm
Subject: Adding LEDs to my Isomac - Electrical help?

I am getting ready to add the Ikea Dioder LEDs that Mark mentions in this coffeed post. The lights are powered by connections to a transformer, which is powered by a 2-conductor power cord with inline switch.

I want to mount the transformer into the machine housing, and feed it by tapping into the machine's AC input. I will dispense with the switch since the machine is on a timer, and the LEDs will just be on when the machine is powered.

The transformer is marked "Electronic Transformer for Low Voltage LED Lamps - INput 120V-60Hz 0.1A Output 12VDC 5W Max. CAUTION: Risk of electric shock. Dry location use only."

That last bit makes me hesitate (appropriately I think) about mounting in in the machine's enclosure. I am planning to mount it VERY high in the enclosure, at the front away from water tank, but it is possible that it might be splashed in very extreme circumstances (e.g. the heating circuit goes crazy and the pressure relief valve starts spraying water into the cabinet). I am not worried too much about damaging the transformer, but I am concerned about short-circuits, and my electrical knowledge is a bit limited in this regard.

My mediocre electrical knowledge and reasoning says: If the transformer gets wet, the risk of electrocution is from direct contact with water that makes a circuit from line-water-me-ground -- is that right? Assuming the machine's cabinet is grounded appropriately using the Earth lead from the AC power, then the risk of electrocution in this case goes to nil, since the circuit will be through the Earth ciircuit, right? Or is there a risk because the transformer is not fed by a 3-conductor wire with Earth grounding itself?

Any help/advice is certainly appreciated. :) I can of course always mount the transformer exterior to the enclosure and feed only the DC wires into the enclosure.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SwingT

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 1:53pm
Subject: Re: Adding LEDs to my Isomac - Electrical help?

I think this is a great thread, because this is a great idea I would like to apply to a vivaldi II.

Found a link with on a page of one photo

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418

if this is the product, I think you're probably pretty good to go as is, just mount the transformer high  -

The picture is not great - but the transformer seems to be pretty well sealed. The disclaimer is pretty much standard from what I can tell.

Where and how you tie into the AC - and how you rout your lines, how you physically mount the transformer are what I see as you major areas of concern.

Note: I am not an electrical engineer, I have no electrical or electronic certifications  -  I do have a certain amount of experience with a soldering iron and custom audio equipment.
 View Profile Link to this post
SwingT

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 1:57pm

I really like this idea.

The more I look at it - I think you may be better to run external.

Particularly if you can determine a good way to route the lines.

On the Vivaldi II, it looks like I can route them up beside the grouphead and out thru the cup tray
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 8:34pm

SwingT Said:

Found a link with on a page of one photo ... The picture is not great - but the transformer seems to be pretty well sealed. The disclaimer is pretty much standard from what I can tell.

Posted September 5, 2009 link

Yes - it is pretty well sealed. A photo is attached. Clips and also screws hold the case together. The seal at the wire entry/exit is not as tight.

I am actually using the round LEDs because the Relax does not have enough room to mount the strips

Where and how you tie into the AC - and how you rout your lines, how you physically mount the transformer are what I see as you major areas of concern.

Yes. The AC lines can be routed from the power terminal strip, along the bottom and sides of the enclosure, secured by cable ties. I am ordering some fiberglass sheathing material to protect the insulation. The DC lines will run through an opening at the group head.

dana_leighton: trans.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 8:48pm

You are correct that with the case grounded you won't get shocked. Your plan sounds good and safe to me. Maybe you could post some picks when you get done, sounds cool.
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 10:46pm

Hi Dana,

I can give you a circuit to drive the LEDs from the AC supply with no transformer.  It is simple and efficient and if you don't need line isolation it works fine. Let me know the specs of the LEDs and I'll calculate the values, draw the schematic, and scan it.  I'm still not much good at CAD.

I am out of town now but after the weekend I should have access to a scanner.

Basically the circuit is a bridge rectifier and a film capacitor to set the current.  

Phil

dana_leighton Said:

I am getting ready to add the Ikea Dioder LEDs that Mark mentions in this coffeed post. The lights are powered by connections to a transformer, which is powered by a 2-conductor power cord with inline switch.

I want to mount the transformer into the machine housing, and feed it by tapping into the machine's AC input. I will dispense with the switch since the machine is on a timer, and the LEDs will just be on when the machine is powered.

The transformer is marked "Electronic Transformer for Low Voltage LED Lamps - INput 120V-60Hz 0.1A Output 12VDC 5W Max. CAUTION: Risk of electric shock. Dry location use only."

That last bit makes me hesitate (appropriately I think) about mounting in in the machine's enclosure. I am planning to mount it VERY high in the enclosure, at the front away from water tank, but it is possible that it might be splashed in very extreme circumstances (e.g. the heating circuit goes crazy and the pressure relief valve starts spraying water into the cabinet). I am not worried too much about damaging the transformer, but I am concerned about short-circuits, and my electrical knowledge is a bit limited in this regard.

My mediocre electrical knowledge and reasoning says: If the transformer gets wet, the risk of electrocution is from direct contact with water that makes a circuit from line-water-me-ground -- is that right? Assuming the machine's cabinet is grounded appropriately using the Earth lead from the AC power, then the risk of electrocution in this case goes to nil, since the circuit will be through the Earth ciircuit, right? Or is there a risk because the transformer is not fed by a 3-conductor wire with Earth grounding itself?

Any help/advice is certainly appreciated. :) I can of course always mount the transformer exterior to the enclosure and feed only the DC wires into the enclosure.

Philip J. Keleshian
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 10:47pm

It took only about an hour to finish the installation. I skipped the fiberglass insulation because I could keep the wires away from hot water lines using cable ties and mounting bases. Here's a picture of the installation on the inside of the machine. A full gallery of pictures is at  this link

I cut the plug and switch off the AC line, and crimped quick connect and terminal blade to the wire, and connected to the AC barrier block. The AC line runs up the side of the case to the transformer, then the DC line exits to where the machine's controls are.

dana_leighton: LED1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 10:51pm

This view is from the machine's right side. When the DC line enters the area where the controls are, it terminates in a 4-terminal block that the LED's DC lines plug into. This rests on top of the switches away from the hot water lines. Similarly, the LED's wires are bundled up and rest on wires away from the hot lines. The LED wires feed through the opening where the group head is and are secured by cable ties and mounting bases so they stay away from the heat.

dana_leighton: LED5.jpg
(Click for larger image)

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 10:56pm

And the final mounting of the LEDs. There are 2 more in the package, and if these go not give enough light, then I may mount the other 2 on the side of the case, although that will make case removal a bit more complicated.

dana_leighton: LED6.jpg
(Click for larger image)

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Sep 5, 2009, 10:59pm

PJK Said:

I can give you a circuit to drive the LEDs from the AC supply with no transformer.

Oh wow -- Thanks so much for the offer Phil. I've got the transformer mounted fine now, and there's plenty of room in the case. If it burns up I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Dana.

showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adding LEDs to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328598976135)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+