Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Adjusting brew pressure on a Duetto 3
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adjusting brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 2:24pm
Subject: Adjusting brew pressure on a Duetto 3

Hello everyone. Yet another stupid question here...

The only instructions I can find for adjusting brew pressure for a Alex Duetto appear to be for the 2.0 version.

Is it the same for the 3.0 version? Removing the phillips screws on the top tray and then undoing two bolts at the front to remove the outer shell?

Then, clockwise to increase pressure, anti-clockwise to decrease pressure.. Adjust pressure with a blind portafilter while the pump is running until the brew pressure reads 9.5 bar?

I'm thinking that it is going to become mandatory to adjust the pressure once I plumb in this machine.

Thanks.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 7:23pm
Subject: Re: Adjusting brew pressure on a Duetto 3

Hey Bud,

Did you get this sorted out?  Given the few changes made between the DII and the D3.0, I would expect the brew pressure adjustment to be the same.  I think you've pretty well summed it up, though I think the pressure you set it at is user dependent.  You are probably right about having to change it again once you plumb in - though I base this only on things I've read previously (ie, no personal experience...yet).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 10:57pm
Subject: Re: Adjusting brew pressure on a Duetto 3 and install

emradguy Said:

Did you get this sorted out?

Posted April 1, 2013 link

Not yet, I'm actually still waiting on my plumber to source the right BSP to NPT adapters. These things are as rare as hens teeth...

The plumber I contracted out said he's done these installs before and knows what needs to be done, sourcing the parts is difficult.

My wife insisted that if a hole was going to get drilled in the kitchen counter, we would get a licensed plumber to do the install so that she
doesn't wake up in the morning and find that the kitchen is now a wading pool.

So far, I already have the open trap and the "Dishwasher" style fitting already installed on the cold water pipe, but getting hoses and
adapters for the in-line canister water softener is proving to be more difficult than I thought. It isn't helping either that the hose which came
with the machine isn't long enough. On the upside, it does fit the water softener, so I think it is a BSP fitting.

I embarrassingly admit that at first I thought this would be about as easy to hook up as my dishwasher, but since all of the fittings are not
really to North American standard and I really don't want to use compression fittings, it's taking a little longer to hook up than I thought.

Go figure, BSP everywhere else in the world, NPT in North America...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
qualin
qualin

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 5:39pm

I'm getting frustrated.. I took the top off, 4 Phillips screws. I see the two front 10mm hex bolts but there isn't any clearance to get at them.

I'm assuming, from the instruction manual, that removing these two bolts should cause the side covers to slide off?

It looks like I may have to make a trip to Canadian Tire...

EDIT:

Made the trip to Canadian Tire and after buying a 26 piece combination wrench set, the bolts came off quite easy. Kind of helps when I have
the right tools, pliers wasn't cutting it. Anyway, to make a long story short, everything appears to be up and running just fine now. Whew!

Pics to be included...

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 6:00pm

Yeah, that's right. Try an open end wrench. Works fine for me.

qualin
qualin

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 7:15pm

The brew pressure gauge is now reading 3.5 bar when not brewing. Judging from other threads on this board, this isn't too high to me, but it still makes
me wonder if I should buy a pressure regulator.

Before I did my brew pressure adjustment, it was brewing at 12.5 bar. Wayyy too high.

I set it to 9.5 bar with a blind portafilter in place. Without a portafilter in place, it reads 9 bar. I believe this is where it is supposed to be.
Part of me kind of hopes that I don't have to dial in my grinder again...

I admit I'm a little tempted just to drill a small hole through the outer cabinet so I don't have to take the machine apart again.

One thing I am noticing is that while brewing, the brew pressure gauge moves a little bit back and forth and the sound of the pump is quite different.

qualin: pressure_gauge.jpg
(Click for larger image)

qualin
qualin

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 7:49pm

It's kind of difficult to try and show the whole thing in 233x302 image, (Stupid 75k limit)

You'll have to use an image editor and zoom in on it to see the whole thing..

Basically, the whole setup is like this:

1. Dishwasher style cut off valve leading to 1/2" male "Dishwasher" style hose.
  2. "Dishwasher" style hose to 1/2" NPT to 3/8" NPT adapter. (I need to eventually find a 1/2" NPT to 3/8" BSP later.)
  3. Extended 5 foot 3/8" BSP to 3/8" BPS 90 degree hose.

Then the included plastic hose which came with the water softener for salt water flushing goes to an open trap. (Good advice BTW)

So far so good. Everything is holding pressure quite well for right now. I admit I'm a little worried about that adapter, but I was
reassured that it shouldn't be an issue.. unless I want to actually take the adapter off... Apparently, the technician used generous
amounts of teflon tape and torque to get it on there since they didn't have any fittings in-store.

Whew... That was a good 1/2 hour worth of work.. $35 for a new water softener to machine 90 degree hose. (Included one was too short.)
$75 labor to fix the leaky top valve (Valve seat needed to be re-tightened) and $85 for a wrench set so I can adjust brew pressure...

At least I don't have to worry about filling the reservoir ever again...

Thanks for all the input everyone..

qualin: tank.jpg
(Click for larger image)

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:48am

qualin Said:

...$85 for a wrench set so I can adjust brew pressure...

Posted April 23, 2013 link

I don't think you can attribute that whole cost to the Duetto brew pressure, as you only needed a single 10mm open end - or you bought a really expensive wrench...lol

Funny you mentioned wanting to drill a hole in the shell...I was thinking the same thing, maybe then put in a grommet to make it look nice afterwards.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adjusting brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276699066162)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+