Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
getting ready to plumb-in, what's the best order
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > getting ready to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 7:49am
Subject: getting ready to plumb-in, what's the best order

I've gotten some great advice already about plumbing in my Duetto II. Such as, installing a rubber mat behind the pump to reduce noise. I also have looked at Randy's plumb in guide.  However, I'm still a little uncertain about the best setup for the water pathway.  Here's what I'm thinking...please correct me if I'm wrong...

Source water (5 gal bottle) -> sediment filter (1 micron from CCS) -> commercial tank softener (already own) -> carbon filter (10 micron from CCS) -> pump & accumulator (sureflo combo from EP) - > machine (my DII)

Thanks in advance!  I plan to start accumulating the gear I need very soon.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 10:04am
Subject: Re: getting ready to plumb-in, what's the best order

I have not used a pump like that, but:

Source water (5 gal bottle) -> pump -> commercial tank softener (already own) -> carbon filter (10 micron from CCS) ->  accumulator ->  sediment filter (1 micron from CCS)- > machine (my DII)

I would think that it would be best to put the pump as early as possible to avoid cavitation (starvation from having to draw through so many resistance sources.
You also want the particulate filter just before the machine to protect that pump. You could put the accumulator after the sediment filter (instead of before it) as well.
Since you are using a larger commercial softener I do not think it needs to be protected from particulate matter. A nylon filter sock for the pump's intake would take care of that (dust, hair, grit, insects, etc.).

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 10:53am

cool, thanks Randy!

Would you recommend a different pump?  I only looked at EP and CCS for pumps, and found the EP pump/accumulator combo to fit my persona more than the pump CCS sells.  (faik, CCS doesn't even carry accumulators) However, certainly open to other ideas, especially if I don't really need to spend $340 on the pump and accumulator.

frcn
frcn

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 11:27am

If the pump + Accumulator costs that much, is there no way to plumb in?
All you would need to replace those two components is a way to tap off an existing water line. Then all you would need, at the most, would be:
Tap from water source -> shut off -> particle filter -> softener -> carbon filter -> a pressure regulator -> machine
Much like I did.

PS - I have no experience with the various pumps available. Most folks run a flojet out of a bottle from what I have read on the forums.

Visit My Website
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:20pm

My location sucks for plumbing in.  We bought a spec home from a builder, and I'm using a wine bar off the dining room for my espresso bar.  the wine bar shares a wall with the garage.  The kitchen is on the opposite end of the dining room, after going through a butler's pantry.  The whole area is on the first floor, so of course it's a PIA to bring lines in from the attic.  

At the time of purchase, the builder gave me a price of $1800 to put a sink in the wine bar and plumb the area.  We didn't want to add that cost in to our mortgage, and were running our savings dry to buy the house - so we decided to wait.  The builder no longer wants to manage the project.  The sub doesn't seem interested either - so I haven't been able to get an estimate from them (though he actually came to look - just never sent me the estimate...even after being reminded twice).  I did get a different plumbing company to come by and give me an estimate to put in the lines for hot and cold at the sink and a drain - and it was over 10k (wtf?).  Well, maybe I ought to try harder to get the builders new sub to give me an estimate (though so far I've only being able to get him on the phone - i.e., haven't gotten him to actually come to the house)...but I'm pretty tired of filling the dang reservoir, and have had this commercial softener tank laying in wait for several years now (more than I'd care to admit).  

So, I have sort of fallen into just doing to under counter thing since I can do all of it myself. I've considered moving the whole espresso setup to the "breakfast area", but with two small kids in the house, my wife is not yet ready to give that area up to me.  It'll realistically be probably 10 years before I can win that battle, and I'd have to run the line through a long bank of cabinets (maybe 20-25 feet) to get from the sink and dishwasher - though at least I'd have a reasonable shot at doing a real plumb-in job. So there lies my dilemma!

If you have better ideas, I'd love to hear 'em. :)

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 2:23pm

So here's another thought...

Being a home fewer as well...I have a couple Cornelius kegs laying around. Why couldn't I fill one with fresh water and use a CO2 tank to drive the water through the filters? I could set the pressure to 30 psi.

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:21pm

if you are using a bottle and a water pump you have total control over the water that goes into the system.

In that case I would just fill the bottle with good water and not bother with all the extra filters in conditioners. hey your mileage may vary !

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:53pm

Yeah, But I still need a good source of water. I've been filling the reservoir from the fridge dispenser, so yeah it's filtered, but still harder than I'd like...and it's not too practical to fill a 5gal bottle from there. Now, I'm also thinking of installing a second filter set under my kitchen sink, which would dispense above via a faucet (replacing the built in soap dispenser). Maybe I should set up a T down there with a hose I could use to fill the bottle and only install the single filter system. Hmmm...Wayne, I think you're on to something here...  :)

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:58pm

Still need the same equipment, but the setup takes less thinking through

frcn
frcn

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 5:25pm

Using John Guest plumbing fittings makes plumbing runs so very easy. The fittings are simple to use and dependable and the likes are flexible and can be easily routed. But it sounds like you have no crawl space under the house (slab?). That would make it a bit more difficult unless there is already a water line for something else in the attic.

But if the coffee bar backs up against the garage, is there a water source in there to tap into? maybe the water heater's  input or something?

Visit My Website
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > getting ready to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283053874969)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+