Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rancilio Silvia Fixable?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jlackey

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:08am
Subject: Rancilio Silvia Fixable?

I've got a Rancilio Silvia V1 that's starting to act up: the heating element seems to be shorting out. It intermittently stops working but comes back on if I give the machine a little smack.

The last time I had her open, the plastic wire connection covers appeared yellow and brittle.  Could a fix be as simple as replacing the wire connectors? Or is this symptomatic of a larger problem?

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on this!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Fixable?

The covers are not the problem. The metal connectors in them likely are. Pull the wires off the heating elements and thermostats (take a digital photo before beginning), and clean teh terminals with scotchbrite and use a small wire brush to clean the spade clips. use an electrical contact anti-oxident on them and reassemble. You may need to crimp the female spade clips just a bit for a tight fit.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:59am

I doubt that your heating element is shorting. It it did you would be having tripped breakers.  The heating element connectors which you mentioned can be the issue.  The high temperatures involved reduce the spring tension on the connector which in turn raises the resistance and hence the temperature at the connection.  This causes a thermal runaway at the connection.  The fix is to replace the connectors on the wires hopefully before the blade connectors on the boiler are damaged beyond use.

Phil  

jlackey Said:

I've got a Rancilio Silvia V1 that's starting to act up: the heating element seems to be shorting out. It intermittently stops working but comes back on if I give the machine a little smack.

The last time I had her open, the plastic wire connection covers appeared yellow and brittle.  Could a fix be as simple as replacing the wire connectors? Or is this symptomatic of a larger problem?

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on this!

Posted March 19, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
jlackey

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 2:11pm

Sounds good - I'll open her up and start cleaning those contacts. Is there a source for those plastic connection covers?
Tifoso

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Melitta
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 4:27pm

Does the element energize when the steam switch is operated?  If it doesn't, then you may have an intermittent connnection.

If it does energize, then it could very well be the brew T-stat, since it is always in circuit as long as the power is switched on. It therefore cycles on & off more than the steam 'stat.

That's what happened to mine. The thermostat conctacts were so pitted that they were insulated from each other. When I tried to burnish them, the internal contact arm broke. Time for new 'stat.

If you decide to open it up, DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG IT FIRST. (<: end of primary disclaimer :>)
jlackey

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 7:14pm

Thanks everyone for all the help! Turned out to be the 140 deg thermostat.

After cleaning several contacts, I noticed one of the male posts on the thermostat had some wiggle to it. I powered it up and carefully moved the wire back and forth. Sure enough, the heating element light flicked on and off.

Makes sense why my "comes back on if I give the machine a little smack" worked. The wire that went into that faulty thermo post loops upward and touches the top cover - right where I hit it.

New thermostat ordered - I'll try and update the result.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:28am

jlackey Said:

Is there a source for those plastic connection covers?

Posted March 19, 2013 link

Espressoparts carries them.
frcn
frcn

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:43am

How about a link? Their search is the worst! I searched for "Rancilio Silvia..." and a number of variations of added terms, and they brought up Rocky parts, rotary pump motors, and a lot of other stuff, but never saw the correct part.

Visit My Website
jlackey

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 7:09pm

I found them - plastic thingys & thermostat

Know what I didn't find first time on the site? The coupon code "PARTSSHIPFREE" for free shipping on all parts! Ugh!
frcn
frcn

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:10pm

I believe those are generic by the looks of them. The ones I remember for Silvia are the same external size throughout their length. Those appear as to not be able to slip over the terminals and will require cutting of the wire as they go on from the back end (wire end) of the connector. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken..

Visit My Website
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272049188614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+