Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Saeco Royal SUP016 restoration (hopefully).
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Saeco Royal...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DanS1
DanS1
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 3:08pm
Subject: Saeco Royal SUP016 restoration (hopefully).

Hello, noob here and hope this is posted in the correct area. Mods please relocate if needed.

I was wondering if anyone could help with ideas to get this machine going (given to me in unknown condition). The "Ventilate" message comes
on immediately and remains after the initial start-up message "Warming up..". Symptoms are as follows,

1. With a full water tank, opening/turning steamer hot-water knob fully counter-clockwise and pressing the "Hot water" button provides hot water briefly.
  2. Pump comes on briefly during the dispensing, always for ~5 secs, when performing step 1 above. *
    * Pump comes on briefly as it seems to be measuring an exact amount or timing out before stopping. By unplugging the water flow sensor at the control board and pressing the "Hot Water" button, the pump will run continuously, enough to fill a small soup bowl then stops (~45 secs?). The same measurements each time.

What I've tried and noticed so far,
  1. Since this machine has 2 pumps, flow sensors, heaters, etc. I tried swapping the flow sensors at both the pump and control board ends. No
    changes were made with the problem. With the flow sensor plugged in I get the short ~5 second run on the pump suggesting the sensor is being "seen" by the controller. By unplugging the sensor from the board the pump runs a lot longer, about 45 seconds or so each and every time (thermal/temp. fuse on pump opening possibly?). Both flow sensors perform the same and have the same readings when checked with a multimeter.  I found by inspecting these sensors that they can be opened for cleaning and inspection with a twist to separate the unit.  Both of these were clean and free to rotate inside.
  2. I did a close inspection of all tubes, hoses and fittings and found no leaks. Water was still filled in the hose from the water tank fitting down
    through the flow sensor and over to the pump input.
  3. Since the pump appears to be working I just checked it over and left it in place. I measured its coil resistance for short/open and to compare with the other pump. The in-line fuse checked good.
  4. I tried the "Prog. H. Water" by pressing the hot water button and holding it down for a while. No change and still get the short ~5 second pump run and water output no matter how long or short you press it.
  5. I have no control over the central brew unit or coffee dispersing or grinder functions. I'm guessing this is due to being stuck in the "Ventilate"
    mode.
    Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
    Regards,
    Dan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 4:09pm
Subject: Re: Saeco Royal SUP016 restoration (hopefully).

http://www.partsguru.com/user/SaecoRoyalline.html

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
DanS1
DanS1

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 5:25pm
Subject: Re: Saeco Royal SUP016 restoration (hopefully).

Thank you frcn! I don't know how many times I looked at that site and couldn't find anything I needed until now. Today (from your link) I see the wiring diagram which I definitely can use! I can now verify connections and correct if needed. Thanks again!

Dan
DanS1
DanS1

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: Saeco Royal SUP016 restoration (hopefully). Done deal.

Update and wrap-up that may be helpful to someone else later.
My SUP016 is now working great and all functions perform as they should. The wiring diagram that member frcn pointed me to helped a lot. I found 2 issues using the diagram and corrected them. The input power (L and N) lines going to the power control board were reversed although I don't believe this was my problem but switched them around anyway.
The computer board underneath the power control board has multiple sensor input connections.  I found the connection going to the "grounds amount" micro-switch, located just above the side service door, to be faulty. The micro-switch itself wasn't completely closing (when the correct ground beans amount is ready) and provided erratic readings for the computer board. I replaced this switch and all is well.
I now get the "System Ready" message and no more persistent "Ventilate". It appears that the "Ventilate" message is used (as opposed to, maybe "Error") as a catch all to cover multiple instances not just air in the water lines, leaks, or bad water flow.
Cheers.

Dan
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 5:12pm
Subject: Re: Saeco Royal SUP016 restoration (hopefully). Done deal.

Glad to have helped, but if you don't tell anyone I helped get a super-auto working, neither will I.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Saeco Royal...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407176971436)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+