Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Astoria steam wand swap with La Marzocco
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Astoria steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kaotik78

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astoria JUN, Rancilio S27,...
Grinder: Macap M4, Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr.Coffee
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 5:10am
Subject: Astoria steam wand swap with La Marzocco

Hey all,

After dealing with the inability to achieve latte art capable milk I've embarked on a little journey over the past year.

My Astoria came with a 5 hole tip which is a bit much, so I had ordered a few different tips last year from espressoparts to see if a four hole tip would make a difference. I snagged a replacement wand that had a unique tip on it as well from orphan espresso. Figuring I would go all out and fix it once and for all.

Well little did I know, but the threads on the steam tips vary, I would have thought it would have been standardized, nope. So I mix and matched up parts to use the new wand I purchased with the tips since the old wand and new tip would not work. I had absolutely zero success with the new setup either. A tad slower to steam but nothing resembling wet paint, and certainly not for pouring latte art. So I just put it out of my mind for a while and continued through the rest of the year with what I had.

Last month I remembered (senior moment) I have a Rancilio  S27 I'm restoring and I went down and grabbed the tip from it and it threaded on my Astoria wand. Wouldn't you know, the thing fit. I grabbed some milk and started to steam. Now it's not going to win any speed races by any means but in the end it slowly but surely crept to 140 degrees and looked like wet paint. I got all excited, pulled a snot and gave it a pour, amazingly enough all the practice and failures resulted in a rosetta, but more importantly it tasted so much better for some reason as well.

I vowed to keep using the tip regardless of the time it takes to steam now, but wanted to find a more suitable tip. I ordered a La Marzocco four hole tip last week only to find out that it doesn't fit any Astoria/CMA wand. Not giving up, I have decided to go further to putting this debacle to rest by ordering the wand to match the La Marzocco tip and fitting the entire unit on my Astoria. Hopefully parts will arrive within a week and I can finally get some good results. I just wanted to share since I've been mia here for some time now.
 View Profile Link to this post
kaotik78

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astoria JUN, Rancilio S27,...
Grinder: Macap M4, Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr.Coffee
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 3:48am
Subject: Re: Astoria steam wand swap with La Marzocco

Parts arrived yesterday, right as I got home as a matter of fact, talk about timing.

First thing I did was try to get the OEM steam/water nut that came off my 5 hole Astoria steam wand over the bends in the La Marzocco wand. That ended up to be not possible. I was left scratching my head  then I realized I had bought a Rancilio S27 replacement wand from Orphan Espresso and ended up using that on my Astoria and maybe the steam/water nut had a slightly larger diameter to get over the bends. I set worth and took the wand/nut off and I did a double take when it fit right over the Marzocco wand.

I used the OEM Astoria spring/seat and seal for the La Marzocco wand with some food grade lube and teflon seals all snagged from Espresso Parts.

In this photo you can see the OEM nut won't make it over. From left to right, the Astoria OEM wand, La Marzocco, Rancilio S27
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8570484531_b97b7a6a6b.jpg

A quick shot  of the ID of each wand. Top down, Astoria, La Marzocco, Rancilio S27
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8519/8571579240_c4f6138265.jpg

After installation I noticed that the tip doesn't thread up flush with the wand, leaving a small gap between wand and tip, these parts are all La Marzocco so it's boggling as to why this gap would be there unless it's by design. All I can think of is that milk is gonna get stuck in there eventually. One other observation is that the wand needed a bit of teflon tape as the tip would leak out back through the threads, none of my other machines do this, so this was a first for me.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8108/8570485931_e18aa4fa6d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8571642544_e5fab5479b.jpg

It looks like the wand is maxed out but it can go out further, I'd range around another inch of swing.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8386/8571581446_1c016d67ea.jpg

So that's it. Now I've got to test it all out, sadly I ran out of espresso so I couldn't pull any shots. A side note, this La Marzocco wand will fit on the Rancilio S27 as well for those who are looking to swap tips/wands etc.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Astoria steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.169188022614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+