Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 28 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:50pm
Subject: Re: PID Controller Instructions and How To Install PID on Gaggia & Steam

what is the wiring for the alarms. like from the SSR+ it plugs into terminal 6 and what are the other two SSR+ attaches? Which wires go into J1 and J2 and which goes to NO or NC for each?

Click Here (auberins.com)

I assume terminals 3, 11 and 12 are not used.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:29pm
Subject: Re: PID Controller Instructions and Gaggia PID install

One power supply positive goes to either 4 or 5 and out of the other or 4 or 5 to the diode to SSR positive.  Note to self, which supply is on 4,5 the one on the steam switch or brew switch?  It does not matter which you choose, just that you know for setting the alarm.

The other power supply positive goes to 13 or 14 and then out of the other of that pair to a diode in the line and to the SSR positive.

No wire 3, 11, 12.

You will start to see how it works.

The front switch turns on the appropriate supply which goes to the SSR via the controller alarm pair.  When power to the supply is off, power to the alarm is off, and power to the SSR is off except via PID lines 6,7.  PID 6,7 control the SSR by your set temperature.  The alarms would over ride the PID set temperature driving it to the higher temperature, thus you keep the power switch off, steam or pump.  The alarm pairs are switching open and closed but have nothing to control until you switch on the supply.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:35pm
Subject: Re: PID Controller Instructions and How To Install PID on Gaggia & Steam

so it doesnt matter which terminal the SSR+ or the + lead from DC charger go? So I can put the SSR+ in 4 and the +lead from the DC charger into 5? Then do the same with 13 and 14 for the other DC charger?
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:45pm

Yes, the alarm pair is a switched pair that is opening or closing.  Simply makes the connection between 4 and 5 and 13 and 14.  There is no direction just a temperature adjusted connection on 4 - 5 or disconnect. Same for 13 - 14.

The current flows to 4 and out 5 or to 5 and out 4.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:56pm

now it turns on and such. I have the Su set to 230 for now, how is yours set? I think before its set its up to 800, yikes ha.

Now when it turns on, the brew switch blinks on and off without being pressed. Now I had to have mixed that up or else it should not come on until i press the switch. Any idea? On the PID, the output switch is blinking as well.

Is the top row on the PID for the current temperature reading? The PV? Because mine seems to be staying at around 69/70

When I press the steam switch, should a light pop on next to Al1 on the left side? and when i press the brew switch, one pop on next to Al2?
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:06pm

If you are concerned, unhook the SSR output so that it cannot heat, or unplug one of the lines out of the SSR to the stat lines.  If you do that insulate the line while you work.  The machine can get overly hot while you are trying to program the PID controller, so be careful.

The brew light is a LED that blinks on and off with heating or up to temperature.  It still blinks with the PID running it.  The PID and SSR replaced the OEM stat, the LED still is in the circuit.

Set the SV to about 214F.  At 230F you will be making steam.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:17pm

D4F Said:

If you are concerned, unhook the SSR output so that it cannot heat, or unplug one of the lines out of the SSR to the stat lines.  If you do that insulate the line while you work.  The machine can get overly hot while you are trying to program the PID controller, so be careful.

The brew light is a LED that blinks on and off with heating or up to temperature.  It still blinks with the PID running it.  The PID and SSR replaced the OEM stat, the LED still is in the circuit.

Set the SV to about 214F.  At 230F you will be making steam.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

So the Brew light is supposed to blink? The Out on the PID screen and the SSR light also blink. Is this all how it's supposed to be?

should the PV on the screen display the current temperature? like I said, mine stays around 70.
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:19pm

SV of 214F.  PV is the top and will display actual temperature.

Alarm for adding heat during brew, your 1 or 2 however you wired it.  Remember that you figured and marked the switch, to power supply, to output to alarm so that you know.  Alarm for brew switch about 255F for low alarm and 254F for high alarm.  Yes, low is more than high.

Alarm for steam is 285F for low alarm and 284F for high alarm, yes low more than high again.

Alarms are not controlled by PID algorithms and will overshoot and undershoot, oscillate.  That is normal.

P = start 3.0
I = 100
D = 25

Yes I allow some overshoot of the SV as it will heat slightly faster, so there is a little oscillation, nothing like the alarms.  The oscillation fairly quickly subsides and the PID shows steady temperature in several minutes. It is still 15 - 20 minutes for the machine to fully warm.

Yes, OUT, SSR and brew switch light blink and the PV should go up fairly rapidly.  OUTut is output to SSR, so those lights blink together, and brew light LED is similar.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:33pm

since my PV isnt moving. There must be something up with the RTD sensor. In face, I removed both RTD cables but left the jumper in and it still says 71.
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:33pm

You will have to go through the PID controller set up if not already done.  That was part of what you need to do with initial power up.  

You had to do INTY.

OUTY is 2 and the rest of that menu is default, no change.

ON the PID menu the values are as noted prior and the remainder of that menu left as default.

71F must be room and you are not heating.  Broken RTD should be EEEE same as not hooked up.

You have 3 wires into the SSR + with diodes on the connector and 3 leads into SSR - ?

D4F also at
showing page 28 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234798908234)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+