Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
PID on a Saeco Aroma
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > PID on a Saeco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:53pm
Subject: Re: PID on a Saeco Aroma

Go back on the Auber site and you can compare to Gaggia.  That will let you know that the base price of about $150 is for brew only, not steam.  If you are DIY inclined, the Auber PID controller, correct RTD and then you get your SSR or order theirs since you have shipping.  I have the SYL 1512 and the SYL 2362.  The 1/32 DIN, like the SYL 1512 have a nice small box, but the 1/16 DIN, not so small a box.  I use the 1/16 without a box.  Box is about $20 for the 1/32 DIN to buy, included with a kit.

Steam can be added to their basic, or to DIY using a small power supply and wiring.  That is described on the thread I mentioned.  I spent about $85 - $100 and have brew, steam, and add heat during brew. That was DIY with me making and figuring the wires.  As mentioned, the last several pages on the thread earlier is describing that.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
LeSyphon

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:04pm

But as I said I don't know the RTD... they only sell it with the 150$ kit....
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:40pm

They sell the RTD mentioned in the Saeco kit only in the kit.  It sounds threaded as they specifically mentioned that.  Is your present stat threaded in or clamped. If threaded, what threads.  Open the case and look at the stats.  Take one off or loose and note threaded stud or flat.  They are describing the Saeco as one RTD fits all, and that is a threaded RTD and yours may not have that at least based on what I can tell from the partsguru site.  Even if threaded, if you have an overclamp the one that you showed should work.

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

Please post jpeg or describe yours.

D4F also at
LeSyphon

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:22pm

I'm not home for lik 2-3 days so as soon as I got home I will post some pictures!!!

oh and here a funny answer frome the sales departement of auberins :

Me : I saw that kit but I was woundering what make it so expensive? You can find PID/SSR/Thermocouples on ebay at like 40$ for the whole kit... I know your kit is mostly sure more quality where the 110$(minus maybe 20$ for enclosure and wire) more come from?

Answer : It is designed for the different market. For people has plenty of time but less fund, buying components on ebay will save money and have fun.

lol what a s**t salesman!!!
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:40pm

They probably felt that you thought that they didnot deserve their fee and were saying "have fun" you will see.

You can easily spend $40 on ebay, $20 + shipping for the RTD, and then the box if you choose.  Next you have to find connectors and wire in Canada.  I have already helped a fellow there and he found supplies less readily available and a bit more money than US.  You need wire and connectors.  I used 2 size wires and connectors.  I have 10 wires to the PID and did not want 10 #14 awg in a bundle.  The fellow on HB said that he used 16 awg for all, but if you add steam then 8 wires to the PID.  If you add steam, you need a small power supply, or possible another AC - AC type SSR.  I found DIY enjoyable and a challange, but I had some Auber instructions that I got with their PID.  If you want quick and easy then the kit is a good buy, all supplies, wires made and good instructions.  If you get close to $80 - $100 and a few hours of searching and making wires, you will understand.  

You may want to reserve your judgement of the salesman until you are done :)

D4F also at
LeSyphon

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:00pm

What I meant for the sales man it just that if I was him I would have try to sale not to challenge..  

Anyway, I read the 10 first page of the 30 page thread but start to be late for appoimtement... but to conclude on your thread what is your routine... do you wait a long time before pulling yours shot???

Oh and what is better..  another ssr or a power supply? I would prefer the ssr because I can hide it in the machine ...
D4F

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:22pm

LeSyphon Said:

I read the 10 first page of the 30 page thread but start to be late for appoimtement... but to conclude on your thread what is your routine... do you wait a long time before pulling yours shot???

Oh and what is better..  another ssr or a power supply? I would prefer the ssr because I can hide it in the machine ...

Posted March 6, 2013 link

I am not completely sure that I understand, the "wait a long time" but if that refers to warm up, then I wait for the machine to warm up.  I have measures temperatures in various places and it takes a minimum of 15 minutes to warm up.  Use a timer or a routine where you get up and turn it on and then get ready for 15 minutes.  Temperature with or without PID is much more consistent with a fully warmed and equilabrated machine.  

You are brave to tackle the thread from the beginning  :)  That is the best way to understand and you will see my routine and some temperatures as you go through.  Power supplies are about the same size as SSR, or smaller.  I switched to one of these temporarily just to see that it works.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

SSR need to be mounted and have a heatsink.  In a Gaggia Classic the heatsink is the case, but there is not a lot of spare room.  My power supplies are on the floor over the water reservoir.  The standard SSR uses DC input to switch on or off and the PID SSR output is DC.  The PID alarm is what ever you put in.  If you do not put a DC power supply in the machine you will have AC and then you need an AC to AC SSR.  They are less common that DC-AC.  We found one for Tasseloff.  You can search his Silvia thread on CG.

D4F also at
LeSyphon

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:47pm

So you recommand me to buy only 2 power supply and no ssr??? or I'm making a mistake here??
D4F

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 1:04pm

You will need an SSR.  You need a second SSR or power supply for the second function, steam control.  I think that you will understand that as you read further in the PID thread.  Find info about the Skene diagram vs second SSR.

The picture was of 2 cheap power supplies and USB cords.  At that price you can afford a spare, or a wiring mistake :)

D4F also at
LeSyphon

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 3:50pm

I read almost all the thread and I finally understand the 1 SSR + 1 USB Charger....

So can you help me decide which PID, SSR and wire to buy??

I will get a photo real soon of the inside of the Aroma to see which thermocouple or RDT I need (still confuse with the difference in therminology)

Thanks!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > PID on a Saeco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236901044846)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+