Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Brew pressure gauge on Nuova Simonelli Commercial HX
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Brew pressure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 4:35pm
Subject: Brew pressure gauge on Nuova Simonelli Commercial HX

Hi all,
As I understand hydraulics, pressure is exerted equally in all directions. So, would I be able to tap into my HX tube at the top to install my brew pressure gauge, or do I need to install it after the gigleur orifice? On a Mac or Program, would this be between the bottom of the three-way solenoid and the group head itself? And does anyone know where I could get a tee that would fit in here?
Thanks very much
 View Profile Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:51am
Subject: Re: Brew pressure gauge on Nuova Simonelli Commercial HX

You should have a pump pressure guage.  During the brew cycle this would equal brew pressure.  As you said pressure is exerted equally, that includes all the way back to the pump.
skydragondave

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 1:42pm

Does the gigleur orifice create any pressure drop when there's flow across it? What's the purpose of the gigleur orifice and how does one calibrate it using different orifice sizes? What are we aiming for when calibrating it?

Thanks again
ddubick

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:16pm

Sorry, I probably should have let someone else weigh in on this.

Are you interested in seeing the exact pre-infusion pressure ramp?
skydragondave

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 3:10pm

I'll take any help I can get. No worries!
All the machines I own have rotary pumps, so there's very little ramping to speak of. I'd like to have a gauge in there to help me keep an eye on my grind and tamp. I could do that with a naked PF but I'd like to try modding the machine for preinfusion at some point. That's probably another discussion.
A gauge would also help me keep an eye on the gigleur and warn me if it gets plugged or restricted so I'm not running around trying to adjust my grind and tamp when there's a problem elsewhere.
I realise that more experience with these machines will do all of this for me, but until then I need to fill-in some of the blanks. I think having a gauge in there will help me get more consistent shots, rather than having to rely on palate alone. If it's as simple as a tee and a gauge somewhere, why not.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:04am

HI.
To tap into the system, I doubt you will find a threaded T fitting, more than likely, you will need to use a compression fitting style T. Anyplace in the line to the GH will give you the pressure of the brew, regardless of any other devices inline in the system.

I think there may be a pre infusion device of some sort in the brew system. You don't say which NS machine you have.

The chances of something in the machine malfunctioning by getting plugged is pretty small, small enough that I would not give it a second thought. Sure it can happen but these machines are pretty simple as far as they go. I would say that 99.9999% of the time, if there is an issue with the shot, it is in the coffee or methodology of your shot prep.

Go ahead if it makes you more comfortable to install a gauge but the shot pull and result in the cup will tell all anyway.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Brew pressure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191941022873)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+