Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 33 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 1:08pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic PID Temperature Stability

It looks like the the only thing making an up-the-wand air driven shot non-trivial to test is the copper tube in the boiler that forces the flow to come from the top of the boiler.  That needs to be removed so that water flows out as air comes in.
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:05am

From watching a pressure gauge, I can see that an air driven shot will have a faster pressure ramp up than the pump.   Ie, 0->9 bars almost immediately instead of over 10 seconds or so.   Even faster than a rotary pump.   I don't know if this is good or bad - maybe a slow ramp up creates some pre-infusion.  I suppose than a restriction in the air line could be added to slow it back down.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 9:11am

D4F Said:

Jon, an interesting post, welcome to CG.  As you develop your concept further you may wish to start a new thread. I'm not sure that I've seen the idea of adding air pressure in an SBDU machine. A new thread makes it much easier for others to search your idea.

Posted June 25, 2013 link

More interesting ideas.  I have some thoughts and comments and would be happy to share them on a new thread.  You are posting on a thread with 30 pages most about PID and your ideas deserve a new topic, new thread not just post buried in these pages.  You might even find others with ideas if you start with a title like Compressed Air Espresso or Air Driven SBDU. Choose the new topic carefully as that makes your concept more easily searchable.  I am again asking you not to hijack this thread and trying to show you that there is benefit to you of starting another.  

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jonr

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 6:16pm

OK, done.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:52am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam

Hey,

With that 1/16 PID. I want to put it in a project box now but i'm not particularly fond of the ones on aubers web site, especially for $30 shipped. Do you have any other compact project boxes that you've used before or are familiar with?

thanks.
D4F

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 7:30pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam

You can search project boxes at various electronic stores or on the internet, but this is about the size you need. I left mine out, but almost got this one.

Click Here (www.radioshack.com)

Unfortunately no size is perfect and will either be too large or require some fitting.  The posts to hold the screws for the bottom are often the difficult part.  You may need to use a Dremel and flatten the inner aspect of the post to widen that dimension.  Of course you have to cut the end between the posts to make your square hole.  Cut down along the posts and break off the bottom 3rd side.  I have used similar for other projects and they are fairly easy to work with.  I find that a slight under cut and then sand/file and fit works fine.  Of course a hole in the back for the wires to enter.  When I switched PIDs, the equivalent to moving wires through the box, I simply remover a wire and labeled it with a small piece of tape and rolled it up to go through the hole and then reconnected everything. I did not want to think through each connection again.

I will assume that you kept the rubber collar for the PID as it may help the fit.

D4F also at
jonr

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 8:32am

I had a chance to reread this entire topic (lots of good info!).  My conclusion (mirroring what others have said) is that the Classic would benefit from a controller that uses PID for steady state boiler temperature control but switches to open loop control for the brew.  Ie, when you are ready to brew, the controller would turn on the heater and then a few seconds later, you would switch the pump on.  During the brew, the heater would be controlled to some % of full power (around 2/3, should vary based on incoming water temp and ambient temp and should vary throughout the shot).  An Arduino would be a good choice to do this PID + table lookup control.  There are also Arduinos smaller than your thumb, so mounting is easier.

With such a controller (or manual temp surfing equivalents), I see no reason that espresso from a Classic isn't as good as from multi thousand dollar machines (and better than my $1500 HE machine where brew temp is sensitive to lots of variables).
D4F

Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013, 9:16am

Using the Classic as usual with brew heat, when I finish a pull the PID shows a high temperature since heat was added in the brew.  The idea is to match heat calories to cool water calories and stop the intrashot drop.  It finally occurred to me that the temperature took fairly long to fall back to set value, but you do not have to wait for that.  The extra heat is about the right amount to take the place of the pre-shot steam switch.

At the end of the pull, I switched off the machine and waited a brief time and the temperature fell quickly toward normal.  Of course the PID had been also stabilizing against rapid fall of temperature, it is active on either side of set.  You can get an idea of the heat match that you set up if you turn off the machine for several seconds and let the water mix without the PID trying to stabilize the fall from “undershoot.”  You can also cool the machine much more quickly as the water will bring the temperature down and you can see, and use that with the PID not adding heat.  In practice, you may have not added a full amount of heat calories to compensate the cool water as it is layered and not well mixed and the PID keeps pumping in heat.  A reading after several seconds may give you a reading a few degrees below set.

While this may not add much to the actual use of the alarm function to add heat with brew, it does help with the understanding of the process.  Once again the PID is actually “stabilizing the sensor” temperature.  Similar to shortly after you turn on the machine and you see the set value reached and it looks stable.  Turn it off a few seconds and see if the temperature falls much.  Of course, until the machine temperature is stable.

D4F also at
jonr

Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013, 12:20pm

A couple of general comments.  PID doesn't do very well with rapidly changing conditions like water flow starting and stopping.  The result is typically undershoot and overshoot.  Always keep in mind that the temperature sensor may not be reading the actual temperature of the water.  For example, if you measure near the heating coils, you may see wide swings in temperature when the actual water temperature is pretty stable (or lagging the sensor).

My low mass PT1000 RTD arrived today so I can proceed with an Arduino controlled system (with PID during non brew, open loop control just prior to and during brew).
jonr

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 12:32pm

I got computer control of boiler temp working today.  I'll start another topic about it.
showing page 33 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293411970139)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+