Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 4:18pm
Subject: Re: V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?

Here's a picture of the the safest way to hold the adapter for boring.  It is definitely not necessary but highly recommended.  Although the more mechanically inclined members will have no problems with this, I wouldn't want anyone getting hurt boring out this part... and I take no responsibility for any injuries that may occur.

For those in the know, or want to know, this lathe is nothing special.  It is a standard Jet 9x20 manual lathe.

daduck748: IMG_2224.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
 View Profile Link to this post
daduck748

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:14pm

D4F Said:

As long as you are measuring, how about pipe ID which will help more with threading and matching tip.  

The tip on the V2 has thread of 0.190" and a drill of 0.151" will go up in the tube above the threads on the V2.

Thanks.

Posted January 8, 2013 link

OK, I brought my small-pin gauge set home and measured the ID of the smaller diameter pipe.  I went up to a 0.195" gauge, went up about an inch and seized.  It feels like another 0.002" or so, but I don't want to risk scratching up the inside.  With thread standards so loose, roughtly +0.002" is well within tolerance of a 0.195" hole.

If this works out for you, this would translate to either a 1/4-20 or M6-1.0 thread.  Either way, the hole is 0.195".

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:22am

So, if I understand correctly, the hole size is as large as the thread OD, so no go with the V2 tip.  I would have to look for larger tip thread from something else.  What is the small part of the tube OD.  Thanks.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
daduck748

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:13am

If you really have your heart set on it, there's an option for you.  It would require 1 extra step and a 2-tool investments... plus parts.

You could get a SPI tap for, say for a M4-0.7 or M5-0.8 Helicoil.  This would cut into the appropriate threads into the V3 pipe.  Then you install your Helicoil.  Now you've essenntially reduced the diameter to accept a smaller thread.

So you would need
- SPI tap for M4 or M5.  You'd have determine which is appropriate.
- Helicoil install tool.  You might be able to do it with a small enough tweezers but it'll be diffcult to break the tab when you're done
- M4 or M5 Helicoil.  You should be able to get these from McMaster or Olander.

I'm just going to assume everything is metric on all these machines.  I think it's a pretty safe call.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:51am

Or chuck a piece of brass in the lathe, bore a center hole and nozzle hole, mine is about 0.053", and then chose the neck and thread size and tap the wand tube to fit the tip just made.  Not as simple as I would like.  I prefer nice solutions that most of could duplicate with home tools and if purchases are necessary, then for common or multi use items.  

One of the reasons that I liked the PID controller mod was that most of us are capable.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
daduck748

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:23pm

Here is the latest V3 steam wand for my Classic.

I've done away with the entire Gaggia steam valve assembly and replaced it with standard sized fittings.  The V3 steam valve is now tucked under about an inch to give more ground clearance, and more of that "factory" look.

The steam valve (the valve itself) was replaced with a 90 degree ball valve.  It turns 1/4 turn, much like a commercial steam levers.  I'll be changing the lever out for something that looks nice; probably machine something out of stainless steel, weld on a handle and polish it up.

daduck748: IMG_3051.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:24pm

Here is the original and new system, side by side for comparison.

daduck748: IMG_3049.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:26pm

It's so massive that the plumbing needs to be fully assembled and bolted to the boiler and set in place, all at once.  This will make things difficult for me to get into the "brain".

There is a little rust on top of the new black oxide bolt, but it's on the outside of the boiler.  I didn't have stainless steel M6x10 bolts on hand so I cut what I had.  I'll replace those with stainless steel bolts at a later time.

daduck748: IMG_3050.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
jvidamins

Espresso: Gaggia Classic w/PID and...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 6:09pm

So, daduck748, what is the simplest way for someone to get the silvia v3 wand on the gaggia classic?  Is the solution to replace the valve so you can use commonly found connectors/adapters?  I would think it would have to be a solution that doesn't require one to get any parts "made".  Would be interested to get your final thoughts on this and perhaps a parts list of what we'd have to get.  That'd be awesome!

www.realtyparadigm.com
www.flatfeetopia.com
daduck748

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 7:01pm

No, what I did was a bit more advanced and really a part if a "system" that involves multiple aspects if MY machine and its implementation.  That's why I had to replace my steam valve.

I think there is a parts list throughout this thread, but I can put something together shortly, since I'm out and about at the moment.

It's been a long time since I've done this so just from memory, it was quite simple.  I think I greatly simplified the modification to simply an adapter I bought from EspressoParts.  This adapter was not a PERFECT fit but it will work out-of-the-box if you don't mind hodge-podging it.  It will all fit but I think one side, the M10 side (the Gaggia side) had to be chased with a M10 tap to fit properly.  I think the Silvia side is a 1/2 or 3/4 BSPP or something that fit the steam wand, which fit perfectly.  However, you can't screw it in all the way because the tension spring needs room.  You don't need the spring, but then you would rely on the ball sitting against the adapter for tension; metal-rubbing-metal is never a good thing.  This is why I bored out the bug side of the adapter.

Other than that, it's a straight forward install.

I think I've had this on my machine for I don't know... call it a year and I simply live it.  The old Gaggia wand sucked and is a lot harder to clean than Gaggia makes it out to be.  I have a Breville milk frother I use to use to froth my milk, which took FOREVER.  Now with the Silvia V3, I get GREAT frothed/steamed milk for my lattes.  I use less milk, which dilutes the espresso less, and the steamed milk really brings out the sweetness of the milk and accentuates the espresso taste... yum... and it only takes about 30-45 seconds, vs 2 minutes with the Breville.

If you dig through this thread, I mentioned the EP part number to buy.  I'll look for it when I get home.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255182027817)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+