Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 4:32pm
Subject: Re: V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?

Yeah, the tip is a screw on.  But if you look at the pictures (online, EspressoParts has a good picture - Note, I do not work for or with EspressoParts, just they have an AWESOME website!) and you will see the tip of the wand has a larger diameter then the pipe.  The wand and tip meet on the larger diameter of the wand.  I suppose I could make an extension rod to extend the tip, but I'd also have to shorten the top end... that and hurry up and make that stand.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 4:41pm

Thanks, I now see how it is different at the tip.  What is the OD of the wand above that point.  Thread and use the V2 tip?  I like the top end swivel but could live with a slightly shorter wand and the V2 single hole tip.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 5:03pm

The V3 is installed now so I'll have to measure when I get home.  I have no experience with the V2 so I couldn't say.  All I can comment on is that the V2 pipe looks like it's roughly the same as the Classic and the V3 is MUCH beefier.  I think the articulation of the V3 is one of its advantages over the V2.  It is longer and I also thought it's ridiculously long and "maybe this was a mistake" but I now find that instead of steaming from the side, it seems to be more comfortable to steam from the front of the machine, and that wouldn't be possible without the articulation.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 5:53pm

As long as you are measuring, how about pipe ID which will help more with threading and matching tip.  

The tip on the V2 has thread of 0.190" and a drill of 0.151" will go up in the tube above the threads on the V2.

Thanks.

D4F also at
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 8:13pm

The V3 tip looks like it is a M10-1.0.  I measured the hole with my calipers at approximately 5mm.  Given this stuff is metric, I'll feel pretty confident that these numbers are correct.

I tried the V_529 adapter and it fit similarly to how it fit on the Classic.  I also put the Classic wand in the tip and it went in the tip nicely, so... M10-1.0.  10mm equates to roughly 0.393 so it prob ably won't work for you.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 8:33pm

The ID above the tip if the tip is cut back to the uniform dimension of the rest of the wand.  I just slipped a drill bit in backwards.  That ID on mine is about 0.151"  where I could thread a new section for the V2 tip.

D4F also at
daduck748

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:09pm

I've been TKO with the bug and I'm feeling better now.  I still have eye strain and feel dizzy so... no machinework for a little bit (workaholics like me, it'll be no later then tomorrow :P).

Regarding the ID of the smaller diameter tube, I'll have to either bring my pin gauges home or bring the wand to the shop.  I'll let you know as soon as I can work on that.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:19pm

I felt OK enough to go down and play with the wand.  Even sick people have to eat, right?

So, I thought I'd try it... why the heck not?  I had some RICE MILK in the fridge.

The results, I made some stable foam on top but the milk was still very watery so unless my skills are not up to par (which they aren't), you can't texture rice milk.

Next, the soy milk.  I'm guessing the result will be the same.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
Aden

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:25pm

I tried almond milk (because that's pretty much what I use for everything but coffee. Result: Thumb's down...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
daduck748

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:49pm

I was taught to stay away from almond milk, especially for the cafe due to nut allergies.  It hits home because my 3.5yo daughter is allergic to hazelnuts, but she'll shy away from anything that looks like a nut.

I hear almond milk is popular in Colorado, though... not that that means anything.  It's the bug I tell ya!

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231390953064)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+