Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
ECM Botticelli, fixing and pimping... one question
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > ECM Botticelli,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
coffeefromhell

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 3:09pm
Subject: ECM Botticelli, fixing and pimping... one question

Hey folks,

I'm a machinist by trade & passion and a coffee lover...

my machine history includes old olympia, dalla corte and a few others but recently got an old ECM Botticelli from a friend of mine...

The ECM was a bit in a sorry state - especially the electronics board (it's the model which features a thermostat-controller... the thing worked by measuring the temp with a NTC Sensor and a couple of ICs, SMD stuff,  and a few relays, and other components...)
the board however was fried - and I tried to change the usual suspects (transformator, capacitors, relays,...) to no avail.
Now as a lot of the small SMD components (it's a multi-layer board) aren't even labelled and I had no intention to start un-soldering those tiny things I scapped the whole electric control-board and replaced it by a normal thermostat and 230V switches.

Also I have a PID controller on order (should arrive tomorrow or the day after) and want to make it quite precise.

but here's the thing... when I tested the machine with the simple thermostat (it's not precise enough and it's too slow - but it was just to test the new set up until the pid stuff arrives) I noticed a huge pressure build up during the heat up (goes to 10bar (to which I have set the relieve valve) and when I flush it there's steam and "wild" water coming out...
when this is done, it acts normal (heat up, coffee,...)...  however when I draw a lot of coffee and it starts to reheat a few times there's again too much pressure in it's "normal" state...

Now I wonder, as I have no schematics for the original wiring, if during heat up the magnetic pressure relieve valve is "open" as well... or if that's normal for the ECM (i don't think so)...

any input welcome...

thanks

Daniel
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 4:19pm
Subject: Re: ECM Botticelli, fixing and pimping... one question

Hi and welcome!

The machine should idle or normal state, stay at about 1 bar give or take a point or two.

Off hand I would guess that the temp system you have installed , isn't doing the job. I am on my phone so I can't look up your machine. Is it a heat exchanger or double boiler (I sont think it is a SBDU) but I don't know.

The PID should take care of the temp just fine when you get it. The best place for the sensor is in thw water in the boiler but you might not be able to do that so the side or end of the boiler would then have to do.

A heat exchanger type of machine normaly uses a pressure stat to control the temp by the pressure in the boiler. A double boiler usually has a thermostat, a pstat or in modern machines a PID type setup.

The safety valve should never open when the machine is operating correctly.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee_no_sugar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 9:52am

Daniel,

Got the same machine a few weeks ago.  It had a missing drip tray, drip grid, lid and a foot.  The postal service broke the water tank and the power switch.  However, I didn't complain as I have been search ebay for a couple of years for a botticelli.  I made a couple of shots last weekend and they were both very good.  

I also noticed a 10 bar pressure while the boiler was getting hot.  I assumed it was the thermal expansion of the water.  This is my first SBDU with a pressure gauge so I wouldn't know whether this is is unusual..  The water flow from the my group head was not steamy or wild.  The flow is very smooth.  There were 4 uniform streams of water from the group head.  The pressure while brewing was 9 bar.

Too bad your gicar controller is broken.  

Wesley
coffeefromhell

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 12:29pm

Thanks for the input....

Today I had the PID controller in my PO Box ;)... finally...

and this is the result:
sorry for the mess... I have been experimenting to get the correct grind, tamper and stuff with the ECM... and I'm on quite a caffein-high (flash) at the moment ;) - well as the shots started to get better and better I simply couldn't bring myself to flush them down the drain...
and then there is always captain cook... damn that coffee...

put simply: the ECM Botticelli PID Version performs like a charm.... coffe is rich, fully textured the crema is thick and consistant,... the crema's texture & "bubble-size" is VERY fine and smooth...  and captain cook has an excellent flavor pulled from this machine.
I have to say I'm really amazed...

as you also can see I have chopped the steam wand off... I don't need it as I use a separate tool to froth the milk.
(I like my cappucinos around morning, but that's as much of a milk-drink I'll have... )

coffeefromhell: P1014168s2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
coffeefromhell

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 12:30pm

Second photo and addendum:

Forgotten to mention - the heat up problem I had was coming from the temperature "controller" I had installed previously... it was too damn un-precise and slow-acting and thus caused massive overheating... the PID has nicely taken care of that too.

coffeefromhell: P1014169s.jpg
(Click for larger image)
coffee_no_sugar

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 5:04pm

Daniel,

Using the wayback machine, the last reference to the Botticelli (original version) on the ecm website was 2001.  The Botticelli II was introduced 2001 and last appears on the ecm web site in 2006.    The original Botticelli is a nice machine but was probably too expensive for the market at that time.   The cost of the gicar controller, steam and water wands, nickel plated boiler would have made it more expensive to produce than the Silvia.  I don't know the retail price but I wouldn't be surprised if it approached a low-end HX machine.   From the parts diagram, the Botticelli II went to the cheaper and less precise button thermostats.  Production of the II stopped when ECM got out of the domestic machine market.

Wesley
autso

Espresso: ECM Botticelli ii
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behnor 1600, modded corn...
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 4:01pm

Daniel
I have a Botticelli II since new (around 2005) It's been great but recently lost brew temperature control.
Your PID looks like the perfect solution. Do you have details you could share like controller model and wiring diagram or pictures.

Thanks
Joe
j_mattias

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 1:24am

Hello,

I just bought an old ECM Bottoicelli (Casa Speciale as they are known here in berlin), and I'm having some trouble with the machine, specifically it is only heating up about 50% of the time. Took the lid off and none of the wiring looks loose (I'm no expert though), does this sound like an electrical problem or is the heater bust? Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks!
justin
autso

Espresso: ECM Botticelli ii
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behnor 1600, modded corn...
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 2:44pm

I have a botticelli II since  new and had numerous wiring problems  I have since rewired and replaced thermal switches with a PT 100 temp sensor and pid controller  The wire feeding the element would overheat with obvious discolouration and was disconnected. If it is heating up at all, I don't think it is the element. Use the steam switch. If it heats appropriately the element is fine. It would then be your wire or your internal temperature switch. There are two temperature switches inside. One controls brew temperature and the other steam temperature. There is also a resettable safety switch. I sourced them locally at an espresso repair place $8 each. I assume it is not the temperature indicator
peterd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 2:46am

Hello Autso,

Do you have wiring information or a schematic of your pid controller? I have some temp issues with my ECM botticelli II and like to install a PID.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > ECM Botticelli,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235295057297)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+