Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Classic modified with Rancilio wand (two methods)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 7:59pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic modified with Rancilio wand (two methods)

As with many other Gaggia Classic owners I decided to mod my classic with the Rancilio wand.

While reading the forums I learned of an adapter available from espressoparts.com (part v-529) that would adapt the Rancilio wand directly to the body of the Classic destroying/modifying the original wand.

I was a bit leery of damaging my original wand by removing the nut to adapt the new Rancilio wand onto the machine so I purchased the adapter.

A few notes regarding this mod- It's a very simple mod to do but your original wand WILL meet its end when removing the retention nut (unless you have a tubing bender that can bend the tubing without damaging it). Also, when removing the wand from machine be VERY careful not to snap off the copper tubing inside the machine by torquing it from the outside. You can easily open the machine and reach inside with an open-end wrench to avoid damage.

I installed my new Rancilio wand using the adapter. What I noticed was that the adapter made the wand approximately 1/2" lower to the counter. Not a whole lot, but it did make getting a filled pitcher a bit tougher to get under the wand. The more annoying thing about the adapter seemed to be that the wand was now fixed into one position and could not be moved. If I loosened the nut to allow the wand to move, the connection would leak significantly. You may be able to find an o-ring that would solve this problem, but I didn't try.

In the mean time I ended up finding a killer deal on a used Gaggia Coffee. The Coffee has a nearly identical wand to the Classic and it just so happened that the wand on the Coffee was damaged.

I removed the wand from the Coffee and cut the tubing to salvage the nut. I then put the newly salvaged nut on the Rancilio wand and mounted it onto the Classic. I then mounted the now unused Classic wand onto the Coffee.

In practice the Rancilio wand does seem like a improvement over the original Gaggia Classic wand. I also got the Rancilio wand on sale through espressoparts so I couldn't really pass it up.

I'd recommend this mod to anyone looking to improve their milk frothing- it's very simple and relatively cheap. The only drawback is that the original wand will be damaged during the swap. I don't recommend using the adapter- it just didn't work nearly as well as I'd hoped.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 7:45am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic modified with Rancilio wand (two methods)

Does this allow to use a ball joint or no?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dorkroast
dorkroast

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 6:02pm

Well there is no "ball joint" as there is with other machines....if you don't use the adapter it does allow the wand to rotate back and forth as the original gaggia wand did. If you use the adapter the wand becomes fixed in one place and doesn't move.

Here is a picture of the finished project:

dorkroast: gaggia machine.jpeg
(Click for larger image)
dorkroast
dorkroast

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 6:26pm

Here is a picture of the adapter from espressoparts:

Ignore the teflon tape, I was trying to see if it would keep the wand from leaking while still allowing it to move- it didnt.

dorkroast: adapter.JPG
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 6:34pm

There is an O ring in the Classic, part 50.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

The ring provides the seal with the Gaggia nut.  I did not have to do anything to slide the Gaggia nut off of the Gaggia wand and it fit and sealed on the Rancilio wand.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=1970039

I do not want others to think that use of this wand is difficult.  If you try to use the adapter, then  the O ring is still up in the Gaggia and seals the adapter to Gaggia, but the adapter to wand will leak.  If you tighten it, then it will not pivot.  I have not tried the adapter, but that is my guess based on the parts, so I apologize if this is not correct.  I have installed the wand shown and it is a 15 minute easy job if the male fitting slides off of the Gaggia wand.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dorkroast
dorkroast

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 8:20pm

I'm sure you area exactly right. The o-ring didn't fall out when I removed the gaggia wand so I didn't mess with it to put the adapter back in. I'm sure the lack of an o-ring is why the wand leaks when loose with the adapter. It didn't matter a whole lot to me because I didn't like how low that adapter made the wand to the counter- made it hard to get my pitcher out without spilling milk.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214601993561)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+