Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
KitchenAid Proline Dual Boiler Machine - How To Replace Switches?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > KitchenAid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1, NS Oscar,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 886
Drip: Flavia SB100 (makes a hot...
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 9:20pm
Subject: KitchenAid Proline Dual Boiler Machine - How To Replace Switches?

I have a KitchenAid Proline espresso machine, basically a dual boiler Gaggia Classic, and I am having some trouble with the "Espresso" brew button.  More often than not, it won't stay activated and I have to hold the button in for the whole duration of the shot or else it won't brew.  I know these buttons are a weak point in this machine and I was wondering if anyone has done a button mod on this machine and, if so, what replacement button/switch do you recommend?  Rocker switches?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 5:52am
Subject: Re: KitchenAid Proline Dual Boiler Machine - How To Replace Switches?

If you are going to replace the switch, you have many choices and what you use is entirely up to you. I suppose you could try to order an OEM switch but if you just take a pic or two of the switch before removing it so you can later see what wire went where, and take the switch to a REAL electronics store (radio shack USED to be an electronics store, now they are mostly a electronic GADGET store) you will have likely over a dozen choices to fit your machine, well you might need to mod the hole the switch was in but the choices will be many and varied.

Replace with a switch  of the same electronic rating and all will be well regardless of the configuration of the switch.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 12:47pm

Thanks Mr. Blacksmith!  I got the machine torn down (it still looks brand new and hardly ever used) and I don't know how to take the switch out.  I attached a couple of pics.  Do I press in on the top and bottom tabs or do I press them upward so that I can pull the switch out? Or is there some other way i am suppose to remove them?

http://imageshack.us/a/img255/1277/switch1.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/8515/switch2r.jpg
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 2:01pm

I got the switch out and cleaned the contacts (I am going to see if I can get it to work until I figure out what kind of switches I want to replace it with).  Do you recommend opening the switch to clean the inside?
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 2:13pm

Nevermind - I took the switch apart and cleaned it out with some Isopropyl Alcohol...gonna put it back together and see if the switch works better now.
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 6:06am

Be very careful with the switches.  They are no longer available anywhere in the world.  At least I have not been able to find them.  There is a company back east that has some parts but no switches.

Bill C
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 6:59am

From your pics, it looks like a round hole that the switch is mounted in. These are the easiest switches to replace. Often the switch is rectangular with spring tabs (like yours) to mount with and you need to find another switch the same size. With yours, you should be able to get a screw mount (the shaft is threaded so with two nuts (one behind or inside the machine and one on the outside)) you can set the depth of the switch.

It looks like your switch was a push/click type, you might need to go to a toggle type but if the switch is the same electrical rating and it has clearance inside the machine and the working end of the switch is on the outside of the machine then it will work. From your pic, it looks like a simple on/off switch with only 2 contacts, am I correct?

EDIT, I just looked again, you have 4 wires on that switch and it is the brew switch, so, you would need to know what the contacts are, NO or NC or a combo of the two, it seems to me without looking at a schematic that all it does is turn the pump on but there may be another function too, possibly to activate the 3 way valve after brewing, which would be a combo NC / NO (Normally Closed or Normally Open) to get a flip flop, one closes the other opens on switch activation.

It may not look exactly like the stock switch but we will be able to get something to work, heck it is only a switch!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 8:53am

Since the insides of the machine look so clean we can rule out a spill or other contamination. Odds are that the "economy" looking switch has equally "economical" contacts inside. These often have plated contact surfaces and the plating, once "arced" through by the passage of current, expose the base metal which cannot handle the current. Because of that, cleaning the contacts alone may help in the short run, but will not last. All a guess, of course, but BTDT with other devices.

If the above post stating that the switches are NLA, you could steam-punk it. Since they are not vintage nor collectible, you have little to lose. But even toggle switches instead of push-button can be used. Once you establish the type of switch (as callblacksmith stated) it will be fairly easy to source replacements that will work.

Maybe a wood base, wall mounted panel with giant knife switches?   The, during every extraction, you can call out in a maniacal voice, "IT'S ALIVE! ALIVE!!"      ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Diveval

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali D1, Cimbali S1,...
Grinder: cimbali Junior, gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Old German GMS
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 7:44pm

calblacksmith Said:

From your pics, it looks like a round hole that the switch is mounted in. These are the easiest switches to replace. Often the switch is rectangular with spring tabs (like yours) to mount with and you need to find another switch the same size. With yours, you should be able to get a screw mount (the shaft is threaded so with two nuts (one behind or inside the machine and one on the outside)) you can set the depth of the switch.

It looks like your switch was a push/click type, you might need to go to a toggle type but if the switch is the same electrical rating and it has clearance inside the machine and the working end of the switch is on the outside of the machine then it will work. From your pic, it looks like a simple on/off switch with only 2 contacts, am I correct?

EDIT, I just looked again, you have 4 wires on that switch and it is the brew switch, so, you would need to know what the contacts are, NO or NC or a combo of the two, it seems to me without looking at a schematic that all it does is turn the pump on but there may be another function too, possibly to activate the 3 way valve after brewing, which would be a combo NC / NO (Normally Closed or Normally Open) to get a flip flop, one closes the other opens on switch activation.

It may not look exactly like the stock switch but we will be able to get something to work, heck it is only a switch!

Posted December 13, 2012 link

Hi! My "hot water switch" broke, and I need to buy a replacement... But  have no clue what to buy... When pushed, water comes out of the steam wand... It has 4 wires attached to it... But don't know if I have to buy NC or what... Any help will be appreciated.

Diveval: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Diveval

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali D1, Cimbali S1,...
Grinder: cimbali Junior, gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Old German GMS
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 7:46pm

This is the switch

Diveval: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > KitchenAid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266364097595)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+