Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Oscar leaking from the center of the heating element
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Oscar leaking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:36pm
Subject: Oscar leaking from the center of the heating element

I screwed up my descale yesterday and the result was a leak from the center of my heating element. Looking at the NS parts list for the Oscar I am confused on page 7 (   Click Here (www.nuovasimonelliusa.com) ) part 09500014 is part of a heating element or a seperate part. The leak is definitely spitting water from the center of the heating element and not the threads where the heating element attaches ( although there is evidence of water leaking there).

I need to strip the shell off of Oscar to do the repair and I have not had to do this yet. Does anyone have any links on taking Oscar apart (Helen I am hoping you do)?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 3:19pm
Subject: Re: Oscar leaking from the center of the heating element

Rob, I don't know if this will help, there are some parts manuals at Simonelli for Oscar.
Sorry to hear of the troubles. I think you already have this information as you specify parts and pages but here it is for those who may need it for their problems.

http://nuovasimonelliusa.com/oscar.html

I really don't see how a descale would hurt a part that was not marginal anyway so perhaps this was a blessing so you could take care of this before it caused a problem in your kitchen later.

As always, if there is anything I can help with, just ask. My public email is there for anyone to use.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 4:31pm

calblacksmith Said:

I really don't see how a descale would hurt a part that was not marginal anyway so perhaps this was a blessing so you could take care of this before it caused a problem in your kitchen later.

As always, if there is anything I can help with, just ask. My public email is there for anyone to use.

Posted December 6, 2012 link

Fine I will confess my screw up. I decided to descale yesterday even though I have been very absent minded of late, I filled the boiler with descale and brought up to temp, after some group flushes it was time to overfill the boiler to get solution to the top. Normally when I do this I disconnect the wire going to the overflow and open the steam valve, then reconnect wire and let the machine heat the water and solution until the most the excess steams out, shut the steam valve and let heat, cool and repeat. This time however I filled the boiler completely, shut the stem valve and walked away while it heated up and I got distracted, something had to give and it wasn't my over pressure valve (come to think of it I should replace this while Oscar is apart).
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 5:19pm

If i remember, you should have access to most of the boiler and the internals by just removing the top shell.  The top shell is held on by 6 screws(two shorter on the front, 4 longer in the middle and back under the tank cover).  If you need to go further to remove the chassis, i remember i had to remove the pump and gicar from the bottom and possibly also the front panel that is held on by the two screws you can see from the front and the screws behind the button panel.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 5:39am

frank828 Said:

If i remember, you should have access to most of the boiler and the internals by just removing the top shell.  The top shell is held on by 6 screws(two shorter on the front, 4 longer in the middle and back under the tank cover).  If you need to go further to remove the chassis, i remember i had to remove the pump and gicar from the bottom and possibly also the front panel that is held on by the two screws you can see from the front and the screws behind the button panel.

Posted December 6, 2012 link

I have had the Oscar broken down to the point where I had to disconnect wires from the gicar and pump but chickened out and stopped. This time it is necessary to take it all apart to access the heating element. I am sure if I am organized and take pictures of the process I should be fine putting it all back together.

I wish I had saved links to previous posts since for some reason you have to get creative with searches on info for the Oscar.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:56am

http://www.elektros.it/en/tips-and-tricks.html

Sorry busy getting the tree up and I missed this.  Hope it helps.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 6:30am

Coffeenoobie Said:

http://www.elektros.it/en/tips-and-tricks.html

Sorry busy getting the tree up and I missed this.  Hope it helps.

Posted December 9, 2012 link

Thank you Helen, that was exactly the link I was thinking about!

My daughter is pushing to be on the naughty list this year, I keep threatening not to get the tree but I have to break down today and come up with a new threat.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:38am

They moved it so my bookmark was broken.  But it had the domain so I was able to find the page.  They added a folder /en/ to the address.

Coffeenoobie

greglepore

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 1:19pm

The part you refer to is the overtemp fuse. It is a seperate part.

The case comes off fairly easilly-there are screws in the bottom that need to come out, and you need to remove the power cord from the brain.

The opv should have opened, but in my experience they open easily. The pressurestat should have shut off the heat as well, if the pressure actually rose.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:59pm

How is it going Rob?

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Oscar leaking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289574146271)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+