Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
My Appia modding thread (was Automation of HX cooling flush?)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > My Appia modding...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 2:21pm
Subject: Re: My Appia modding thread (was Automation of HX cooling flush?)

I actually used 3 strips.  I covered the ends first securing them by the connections I was cutting holes for.  Then I cut a long piece the width of the boiler and wrapped it around one and a half times.  to technically there is one layer on either side, 2 layers on the bottom and 3 layers on the top.  I then used stainless steep ties around the circumference to secure it all.

Edit: had to fix my geometry jargon. :D
 View Profile Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 3:10pm

ddubick Said:

I actually used 3 strips.  I covered the ends first securing them by the connections I was cutting holes for.  Then I cut a long piece the width of the boiler and wrapped it around one and a half times.  to technically there is one layer on either side, 2 layers on the bottom and 3 layers on the top.  I then used stainless steep ties around the diameter to secure it all.

Posted March 2, 2013 link

OK - thank you.
ddubick

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 8:27am

Finally got my order from ereplacementparts.com... took forever but a good way for Canadians to get parts from Nuovo Simonelli.

Finally got the proper pipe for my steam wand so no more flushing condensation out of the tube before I steam (makeshift pipe had an indirect path to the boiler with a dip in it so water would collect in the low spot).

Ordered all of the different sizes of gicleurs.  Going to experiment with how they affect my flushing times and brew temps.  

Just gotta get some time.  I think working on the car might take precedence now that it's starting to get a little warmer out.
schildtmann

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 2:14am

I am thinking of doing something similar on my appia what kind of RTD probes have you used? thinking of diameter / Thread Diameter
ddubick

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 10:32am

I've been using varying lengths from this ebay seller from Korea.  I've been buying the 1/4 thread and then bought a couple of adapters to fit the various holes I wanted to stick them in.

Click Here (www.ebay.ca)

PT thread is supposed to be the same as BST and seems to work for me.
schildtmann

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 10:57am

I can read from the thread that you used a 100 mm for the boiler can you by any change remember the lengths for the ones you used in the group head
ddubick

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 7:42am

30mm like I linked there.
ddubick

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 3:09pm

Haven't been making many changes lately.

Since the gicleur calmed down the overheated group I barely have to flush anymore so the original purpose of my project has gone unused for quite a while.

It still nice having temp readouts from multiple points in the HX and group.

I still use my auto-backflush function that I programmed in.

But I finally figured out something to try - Pre-infusion.

Going to try programming the 3-way to open a few seconds early to pre-infuse the puck with line pressure, then kick on the pump.

Of course I'm reading now that the Appia line already has it's own preinfusion...

Quote from NS literature:

DOUBLE PRE-INFUSION {SOFT INFUSION}
With traditional pre-infusion technology, the extraction starts at 0 bar and reaches 9 bars in about 8 seconds. With double pre-infusion, the extraction starts at 0 bar and reaches 9 bar in about 16 seconds, allowing twice the amount of grounds to be presoaked before the full extraction takes place. This process allows for more crema and aroma to be extracted while also lowering employee's possible tamping/grinder inconsistencies.

Which makes me wonder if I've been grinding too coarse and timing my shots wrong.  If it's pre-infusing for 16 seconds should I be timing my shots more towards the 35-40 second range instead of 28-30?

Also if I add line-pressure pre-infusion how would it affect things?

Any thoughts?

Guess I'll have to experiment.
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 8:34pm

If you take a look at the grouphead there's a big nut under which there is a big empty chamber. That's the soft infusion chamber. As the air inside compresses or it fills with water, the brew pressure slowly ramps-up to 9BAR. Sixteen seconds is way long of an estimate, with my Scace device I was seeing more like five to six on the Appia I rebuilt, but the end result is the same: You are wetting the puck of coffee so that it swells-up and is more resilient to channelling when the full 9BAR comes out of the shower screen. Adding line pressure preinfusion to this system would be like adding a manual window crank to a power window motor on a car. I doubt the effectiveness or commercial viability of a 16-second double preinfusion which would lower the production capacity of a $5100 single-group machine to about 60 drinks per hour in a busy shop.
None of the machines used in the WBC or by roasters have all these gizmos tacked on to them, so if your end goal is to learn as much as you can about crafting a god-shot - which many baristi far more talented than I have done on the Appia with no modifications - it would seem your time and effort is better spent with a professional barista and a paid training course. Hacking up your espresso machine with unauthorized modifications may well negatively affect its thermal efficiency in ways you might not have predicted, making the perfect shot even more elusive. Learn how to pull a good shot first, then you'll know whether your machine needs modifications at all. Good Luck
ddubick

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 5:58pm

Thanks for your input skydragondave.

I understood that's what the big chamber is for.  I always knew that the Appia has some sort of pre-infusion (SIS system) but had never actually read the propaganda for it until searching when I was thinking of this modification.

Some of what I've done was to try to tame the commercial beast for home use (the automated cooling flush and eventually the smaller aperture gicleurs) and some has been trying to add advanced features to a very capable but not top-of-the-line machine.

In the end I find experimenting fun and if my wife says that the coffee is suffering it's easy enough to change back. :)

PS. The WBC Aurelia II T3 isn't a gizmo packed machine?  It looks like one of the most feature rich machines you can get.  If I had one I definitely wouldn't tinker with it. ;)
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > My Appia modding...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236821174622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+