Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
rancillio silvia, weak steamer
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > rancillio...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
twilkers

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 8:59am
Subject: rancillio silvia, weak steamer

Hi,

had our silvia for a couple years now, awesome machine.  this morning the steaming was weak and I smelled a burnt odor.  the water was very low so I filled it up.  the steamer didn't come back to full strength and the steamed milk tasted burnt.  

can someone guide me through the troubleshooting?  I'm thinking heating element, maybe thermostat.  

my biggest concern is the burnt taste.

thanks,
tim
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 1:50pm
Subject: Re: rancillio silvia, weak steamer

Burnt odor and taste, and weak steam seem like a wand that is partially clogged with milk.  Take off the tip and try a pipe cleaner in the tube and soak the tip.  You can remove the wand to clean.  Milk can get up into the wand, especially if you allow cooling belore cleaning.

Bad tstat should not smell/taste.  Bad element will often trip GFI.  Start with the wand and report back.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
twilkers

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 6:46am

cleaned wand and replaced.  got some stuff out.  fired it up this morning, after steam light is off, steam is still weak and burnt odor remained.  

additional observation is that the steam pressure degrades quickly (much quicker than before) and the light never comes on as it used to (as the pressure decreased).  sort of seems like a temp sensor is not kicking on the heating element or the element cannot deliver the heating capacity it used to.

what's next?

thanks,
tim
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 7:04am

Your comment about the water being very low, points to the possibility of a partially melted heater. Just a random thought.
The heaters are easily damaged with low water levels, this could lead to the burnt smell. Or not, check everything and rule out what does not fit.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
earlds
earlds
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 8:03am

Wayne, I felt the same way about Bush W. and still do .but I did not see fit to shove my political views down your throat.But since you brought it up I will just point out democracy is hard when you disagree with the currant  elected party,but that doesnt make the other guy a tyrant ,an American President ,by the way is in no position to ever be a tyrant  , .And oh yeh I agree with you ,it sounds like low water levels may have damaged the heating coil .
Don
JGG
JGG

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 8:16am

Based on what you've reported, I am still leaning toward a plumbing problem.  

The fact that the steam light does not turn back on suggests to me that the temperature/pressure inside the boiler are probably OK.  But replacing the steam thermostat is easy and cheap so might be worth trying as a troubleshooting step.

If your machine is not on a GFI-protected circuit, then I would strongly suggest fixing that situation right away.  If the element is burnt out, a GFI will normally flag this for you immediately.  It might also protect you from a nasty shock if live AC is reaching the machine frame from an exposed nichrome wire inside the boiler.

How long between flipping on the steam switch and steaming temperature reached (indicated by the light turning off)?  My experience is that this takes around 90 seconds if everything is working OK.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
twilkers

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 9:16am

ok, descaled and it seems to take care of it.  we have never descaled this machine.  how often should we descale?  steam is strong now and no burnt smell.  

unit is on GFI circuit.

is there a relationship between descaling and the steam temp sensor?

thanks for help guys,
tim
earlds
earlds
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 9:24am

I think Jim has the most logical diagnoses on this one ,I jumped on the low boiler trail and overlooked the obvious . Experience is everything .Im lucky to still be on my original sensors after so many years.Much better to have to replace a sensor than a boiler ,thats for sure.
Don
twilkers

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:00am

ok, during the post descaling purge, I noted something again.  I was running water through the steamer to get rid of that funky smell/taste so let steam run for a long time.  it would almost run out of steam with significantly reduced pressure and the heat light would not come on.  

there is a faint ordor, not sure if it's burnt or metallic.

ideas?

thanks,
tim
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:26pm

twilkers Said:

I was running water through the steamer to get rid of that funky smell/taste so let steam run for a long time.  it would almost run out of steam with significantly reduced pressure and the heat light would not come on.

Posted November 12, 2012 link

How long steaming, or how much water steamed out?  If you get the water down far enough, you could be overheating the element I believe.  Are you talking longer than normal use?  I would ask you to reproduce and then fill it with water with the wand open and running the pump.  Time the fill.  The pumps will run about 10cc/sec unobstructed, and you get an idea of how empty the boiler was.  I can't advise repeating and risk running it low, but if you find yourself is a similar low steam circumstance, check the fill time.

As far as running water through the steamer, just run the pump with the wand open as opposed to prolonged steaming to low water.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > rancillio...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290439128876)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+