Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
rebuilding a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > rebuilding a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
yamhill

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia PIDed, Nuova...
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: hario and chemex
Roaster: hot air & drum in the works
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 4:19pm
Subject: rebuilding a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia

I'm embarking on an ambitious rebuilding project to resuscitate a dead Aurelia three-head commercial machine.  I love challenges and learning new things, and I love coffee.  I realize that this is a long way from PIDing a Silvia, but I expect that I'll enjoy the challenge.

I'm just starting into the project and it's not even fully disassembled, but thinking ahead, I have some questions.  I've found parts and operating manuals and the like, but I can't find detailed specs on things like springs and o-rings.  I realize that I could just buy factory replacement parts, but I started to wonder about things like the springs in the steam controls.  I suspect that somewhere these springs were specified with a certain size and spring tension.  Likewise with the o-rings, I suspect that a temperature range, hardness, and critical size specs could also open other purchasing options.  Can anyone provide me with more detailed specs on springs, o-rings, and the like Nuova Simonelli machines - or point me in the right direction?  Yes I have searched the Internet with no success.

Also, I need some porta-filters.  I can easily find a Nuova Simonelli OEM replacement parts from a few sources, and a vendor or two on Amazon and Ebay, but I'm wondering if I'm missing any alternate sources.  I can't find many options.  What portafilters from other machines will fit the Aurelia?

John
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 5:18am
Subject: Re: rebuilding a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia

Good luck with the project, it really isn't a lot harder than the PID/Sylvia mod, you need to take a lot of pictures though to remind you how everything was connected before you took the machine apart.

Parts are where you find them, much like used espresso machines. Used equipment dealers would be a good place to start if you have any in your town.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > rebuilding a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.170320987701)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+