Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tasseloff

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 7:05pm
Subject: Re: Subject: Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade

Alright, looks like the IN4001 diodes shouldn't be too hard to find (actually its 1N4001 I think?)

I already have some thermal paste that i used a long time ago to put under the cpu of my laptop...its probably 4-5 years old though, but its still in the little tube and not dried up so I guess it might still do the job.

Yeah for the thesis caffeine is a must, so i might not be able to install the PID right away but ill surely go buy the cables & connectors this week :-)

Oh for Arduinese well, I'm in computer science so its not too foreign for me, although my electronics skills are maybe not up to par. Still, I've founds lots of stuff to read and I think it will definitely be the next part of the project :-D

D4F Said:

The diodes are IN4001.  I posted a picture on the Gaggia thread to help.  I chose to post it there and mention it here so that it will be found under both Gaggia and Silvia, and SBDU.

Do not forget a small quantity of thermal paste at the electronic store.  Helps with the sensor, though there may be enough on the brew-stat and in the threads to work.

You need to finish the thesis so that you can enjoy the project, or finish the project to have enough espresso to finish the thesis?

Thesis in foreign language, Arduinese?

Posted September 1, 2012 link

View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 7:16pm

I had already looked them up in the internet as IN4001.  After your post I tried 1N4001 and found the same.  Odd, it's either!

My thermal paste was years old and was fine.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
tasseloff

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 11:28am

I went out to the local radioshack store to try and find all the wires and plugs, but didn't find all I was looking for. I also had a look at 2 other places but not successful either. Can't believe I'd be ordering wire over the internet, but it seems actually cheaper when coming from HK... I found this for the SSR load side, what do you think?
Click Here (www.ebay.ca)
Still need to locate some 105C wire for the internals though I'm sure I can find it on ebay as well. I'm also missing the piggyback connectors, I haven't seen these anywhere, I might check the autoparts shop later this week...
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 11:50am

tasseloff Said:

I'm also missing the piggyback connectors, I haven't seen these anywhere, I might check the autoparts shop later this week...

Posted September 2, 2012 link

I'm sure I've seen piggyback connectors at Canadian Tire.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
D4F

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 12:22pm

SSR load side needs to be same awg as house basically, for USA 14 AWG.  If I got the ebay correctly, it was 24 you show, way too small.  I found this-

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Look up a local hoppy shop for radiocontrol planes or cars.  Either 14 or 12 awg, I am using 14.

I like this wire for inside, but any 24 awg or 26 awg that is temperature rated.  

Click Here (www.skycraftsurplus.com)

You might find a small roll of 26 awg wire 105C in an electronic store.  You will have several small wired to - from the PID and they can get bulky.  All except the above load wires carry very little current.

I found the spade connectors and piggybacks connectors at an electronic store, but not bigbox electronic.  I had already found the piggyback connectors in the auto store.  Search piggyback spade in your area, hopefully as noted in the post above.

I spent more time finding the parts and wire that the actual install.  Still most time was making up the wires with correct ends and insulation.

D4F also at
tasseloff

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 1:40pm

Hmm I see. I'll keep looking then. I don't know of any hobby shop locally but I'll hunt around a bit. The one you found on Amazon for 14AWG would ship to Canada but it'll come to around $14 with shipping. Hopefully I can find it cheaper locally.

Its a good thing I have you to guide me through this! :) I'll post all of the parts list and some pictures once I get everything in order (when I find the time). I guess it'll be one more guide for the famous Silvia! ;)
D4F

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 3:44pm

Amazon was only to show you the wire, hope you can find it local.  Look for hobbies, rc jets, rc helicopters, rc cars, etc.  It is used in making battery packs for li polys, NiCads, and NiMetal.  You should be able to find it in Canada at least.  I like it because it is superflex and high temperature.  I am sure that you can get 14 awg stranded wire used for appliances that is temperature rated without spending too much time on the silicone.  At least the power wire does not have to go to the PID, only SSR to machine.

Canada at least

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/results/

Click Here (www.rctoys.com)

Great idea to compile a list of supplies in Canada when you are done collecting.

You might check on the Skycraft wire and see if they will sell a small quantity, say 20 -25 ft, and send in an envelope.  It is good wire for the 26 awg.  It also needs to be thin insulation so that the wire O.D. is small.  Some of the silicone coating is fairly thick.

I am thinking of trying to keep the pertinent PID wiring, not supplies, in the Gaggia thread so that it remains complete.  I have added some wiring comments there that are generic to the PID, DC power supply and control.  I needed to bolster the "how to" in that thread.   For wiring you can use some of the info on page 15.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 11:06am

PM sent for possible supply options.

D4F also at
tasseloff

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 4:37pm

Well, I just received my packages today, both the PID and the steam valve rebuilt kit. Sadly I don't have the tools to fix the valve yet, I'll need to borrow them from a friend.

I'm surprised by the size of the PID, somehow I though it'd be bigger. And the reverse for the SSR, that thing is bigger than I thought!

One question to anyone who's installed a PID in his Silvia, how did you fix the SSR next to the 3-way valve? Double-sided tape? I'm thinking of buying some magnetized sheet that I can cut-off, so that I can possibly fix the PID next to the machine (if it holds), and also use it to stick the SSR inside.

I've also ordered a second SSR from ebay, it'll probably arrive in 3-4 weeks (from Hong Kong). This one is an AC SSR, so that it will be able to take the power directly from the main switch without needing a wallwart or other power adapter. The end result should be the same however.

I just need to find my wires and I should be almost set for the install. I'll either get some ribbon cable as D4F suggested or find something in the local stores.
tasseloff

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:51am

Well, I finally found the piggyback connectors at a local electronic store. However concerning the wires they didn't have anything 105C resistant at 22AWG...

Would 90C still do the job? I'm thinking it can hardly get hotter than this inside the machine...

I still got myself some Ribbon cable, and figured I would decide if I use it or not. However now that I look at it, the 28AWG wires are so small that I won't even be able to crimp them on connectors, so I'm unsure about using them...
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262736082077)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+