Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 9 first page previous page
Author Messages
tasseloff

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 9:49am
Subject: Re: Subject: Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade

The PID is held in place with a good strong solid velcro so I can remove it whenever needed (like when I make an error to plug in the RTD wires)

tasseloff: P1140054.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
tasseloff

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 10:05am

D4F Said:

Looks great!  Looking forward to your impressions of brewing and steaming, and the espresso.

Posted October 11, 2012 link

I'm sipping a good espresso right now :) Can't say I notice a huge difference as compared to before, but i'll need to play a bit with temperatures and other settings. I'll update later on with a video or two!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 10:20am

You used the machine for long enough to be easily able to adjust/surf the temperature before the PID, so the espresso may be the same.  I like the ability to adjust the temperature by a degree or two for different coffees.  You may notice some difference with steam as the temperature band is tighter, so better steam.

I hope that it was a fun project.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
tasseloff

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 8:02am

D4F Said:

You used the machine for long enough to be easily able to adjust/surf the temperature before the PID, so the espresso may be the same.  I like the ability to adjust the temperature by a degree or two for different coffees.  You may notice some difference with steam as the temperature band is tighter, so better steam.

I hope that it was a fun project.

Posted October 11, 2012 link

Well, I had indeed gotten used to temp-surfing, however I must say that my impression is now that I have much more consistency between shots. Before, the taste would vary a bit even with temp-surfing, now however its always closer to be the same. This is great, it means I can see if I actually taste a difference at different temperatures.
Steaming milk is also much more efficient.

Overall, if any other fellow Canadian wants to try it out, here are the average costs:
he PID/PID case/RTD sensor/SSR from Auber cost me about $106
The AC SSR for steam control was (from ebay, but could've also used a power adapter instead) $6
The wires/connectors ran close to  (silicon wire which I got from china on ebay) $ 20
The velcro to stick the PID in place was around $5
Tie-wraps 2$

Total: ~$140

So basically, not too bad, but not cheap either. It could be done for slightly less, by installing the PID directly in the machine (no need for velcro/tape or the external case). Some PID kits are also available for cheaper (one was ~$75 shipped on ebay), but possibly not the same in quality, and wires/connectors will still need to be bought.

Anyway, I'm off to pull another shot. I'll post a video later on if I have some time.

I want thank you D4F for all the help you provided, as well as other members, it was much easier with your first hand experiences!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 8:43am

My pleasure helping.

For those who are looking at that price, that is a PID with brew and steam control, and the housing box, not just the basic kit.  It is possible to mount it in the machine without the box, or set it on top of a machine without a housing case, if the wires are long enough.

Happy to hear that you like it and that it meets your expectation.  It is actually difficult to realize how much a PID helps without actually seeing someone use it live, or getting to use one.

If you have an SBDU machine, GET A PID!

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
coffeeee
coffeeee

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 3:03am
Subject: Re: Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade

seems you are doing very well

As to the leakage in the pump outlet, it is a known issue and you can find some articles on it.
don't neglect it as it will increase the corrosion on the chassis.
You can see my mod to this issue here

As to the electric wiring, in Silvia manual you can find the manufacturer electric scheme.
you can also see images and diagrams in my mods page here

have fun

Coffee is not a drink...it is an adventure...
Author of Rancilio Silvia Mega-Mod and Rocky Timer Mod (see my website)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tasseloff

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 9:37am

coffeeee Said:

seems you are doing very well

As to the leakage in the pump outlet, it is a known issue and you can find some articles on it.
don't neglect it as it will increase the corrosion on the chassis.
You can see my mod to this issue here

As to the electric wiring, in Silvia manual you can find the manufacturer electric scheme.
you can also see images and diagrams in my mods page here

have fun

Posted October 13, 2012 link

Thanks for the link! I didn't know it was a common issue, and thought it was just me that didn't tighten the thing well enough last time when I changed the pump. Since I don't feel like taking the Silvia apart right now I will probably wait 1-2 weeks before doing it, plus I will be able to see if there are some new watermarks or if it doesn't leak anymore. Nonetheless I will probably try your mod, it seems simple and logic enough.

A very nice and detailed page you have there, you sure seem to have gone all the way as possible mods!
coffeeee
coffeeee

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 4:44am

tasseloff Said:

Thanks for the link! I didn't know it was a common issue, and thought it was just me that didn't tighten the thing well enough last time when I changed the pump. Since I don't feel like taking the Silvia apart right now I will probably wait 1-2 weeks before doing it, plus I will be able to see if there are some new watermarks or if it doesn't leak anymore. Nonetheless I will probably try your mod, it seems simple and logic enough.

A very nice and detailed page you have there, you sure seem to have gone all the way as possible mods!

Posted October 13, 2012 link

My pleasure
as for the leak I remember a site showing full chassis repair due to this kind of leak in this particular location where Rancilio neglected to add a small drain hole that could avoid it ;-(

Coffee is not a drink...it is an adventure...
Author of Rancilio Silvia Mega-Mod and Rocky Timer Mod (see my website)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 9 of 9 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275613069534)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+