Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
coffeeee
coffeeee
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 1:21am
Subject: Re: Silvia - Leak on steam valve

tasseloff Said:

is it normal that if I don't, and pull a shot right after the light has come off, it comes out as steam from the group (for 1-2 sec)?

Posted August 23, 2012 link

YES, this is the whole nature of temperature surfing, to lower the temp to needed one as stock thermostat is far from controlling it within desired margin.

Coffee is not a drink...it is an adventure...
Author of Rancilio Silvia Mega-Mod and Rocky Timer Mod (see my website)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tomcody
Tomcody

Espresso: La San Marco Practical 95E
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Timer
Drip: Arçelik 3200 Turkish Coffee...
Roaster: Air Popcorn Popper
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 10:25am

emradguy Said:

However, if you don't have an articulating wand, I highly recommend doing the upgrade.  It's super easy and will take you about 10 minutes. Seattlecoffeegear has a great video on the topic, and sells the entire valve/wand assembly.  All you have to do is remove the old one, pop in the new one and you're good to go.

Posted August 22, 2012 link

I agree the articulating wand is great.  Not to throw a wrench in the works but have you seen pidsilvia.com? Or even better this site http://www.digidive.com/coffee/index.html  I did this mod to mine. It looks clean too.

"Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love."
"A cup of coffee commits one to fourty years of friendship."
- Turkish proverbs
tasseloff

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 3:47pm

Well, I am pretty decided about ordering the PID (and here I thought I'd just come in, ask for my leak problem and go away!).

The tail PID looks neat, I may just try that! Although I don't have a drill handy nearby, I may have to borrow a few tools.

Concerning the steam control with a single set-point PID, is that actually safe? If i understand correctly, its basically setting the Silvia so that it heats up to 296 and then shuts off, then starts again when it goes below 295. So I guess its almost like using a PID although it will light-up and shut-off much more often. Thus I wonder why the Silvia wouldn't be like that by default...?

I also considering an Arduino mod actually. Ultimately I'd love to be able to connect to the machine via wireless or bluetooth with my phone just because I can. Although if I launch myself in such a project I know it'll be much longer than if I just order the PID, SSR and RTD.

So I might start with the PID standard setup and then graduate later to something fancier if I have time to work on such a project.

Tell me people, has the PID really changed your life? ;) What  I mean by that is that, I paid my machine $350, and a PID will be something like $150 more...will I even notice the taste difference? I love espressos, cappuccinos, but more often than not I wonder if the beans i'm using is not part of the problem. I buy them from a local roaster who has SO and a few blends, and usually the beans are fresh enough, but the blends are far from being exceptionnal, and the SO are good but I feel a nice blend would be better. Would I not be even better off saving up to buy a roaster with that money?

Please feel free to comment, I'm really curious as to how high you all value the PID.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 9:25pm

Looks wise, I like the Auber type install with the PID in a box between the group and wand.  It apears an easy place to install, held by doublesided tape, so fairly easy to move if you want to try another type install later.  That seems good for 1/32 PID, not so sure for 1/16.  1/32 should be fine for what you want.

PID control works well for brew temperature, not needed for steam temperature.  Steam temp can bounce a few degrees around 280 - 300F, your temperature setting.  Over and under a few degrees do not seem critical for steam, so the alarm control on the PID works well, not damped.  Silvia is not like that by default because inexpensive bimetal t-stats do not have a 1 - 2F range.  The  SkeneDesign way that I sent before works great if you DIY, and the Auber way still uses alarm function.  Very safe and reliable.  

If you want to go Arduino, do you speak that language??  You will have to learn Arduinoese to program it.

I hope that the PID does not change your life, if so, then you need to get a life, not a PID :)  You can have a fun project if you like such, but not life changing.  You can easily adjust temperature to fit coffee, by degree instead of surfing.  My PID is on a Gaggia Classic so there are some differences, but still SBDU and some similarities.  If you need reading material, ideas, and a cure for insomnia then read

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
coffeeee
coffeeee

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 4:47am

"Tell me people, has the PID really changed your life?"

NO, but it certainly changed the way you use Silvia and made it simple to use not to mention saving a lot of water and electricity and getting to the preferred temp quicker with no hassle,
I instead of using a readymade kit, I have build my own which ended cheaper and according to my requirements look at my site

Have fun

Coffee is not a drink...it is an adventure...
Author of Rancilio Silvia Mega-Mod and Rocky Timer Mod (see my website)
tasseloff

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 7:22am

Haha well my life is alright so I guess I'll just get a PID :-D.

I haven't decided where I'll place it yet, but I'm not a big fan of putting it between the wand and group because of all the "water traffic" going on around there. So I'll probably go with the tail idea, or maybe just put it on the top temporarily and figure out later what I prefer.

I'll wait for modding the whole thing with arduino but I think I'll probably order the parts soon as well, I've been tempted for a long time to play with these little controllers.

The shopping list from Auber is this:
Click Here (www.auberins.com)

Looks good enough? I have a 2001 Silvia (if I recall correctly, i'll need to check again to make sure) with the old boiler.

D4F Said:

Looks wise, I like the Auber type install with the PID in a box between the group and wand.  It apears an easy place to install, held by doublesided tape, so fairly easy to move if you want to try another type install later.  That seems good for 1/32 PID, not so sure for 1/16.  1/32 should be fine for what you want.

PID control works well for brew temperature, not needed for steam temperature.  Steam temp can bounce a few degrees around 280 - 300F, your temperature setting.  Over and under a few degrees do not seem critical for steam, so the alarm control on the PID works well, not damped.  Silvia is not like that by default because inexpensive bimetal t-stats do not have a 1 - 2F range.  The  SkeneDesign way that I sent before works great if you DIY, and the Auber way still uses alarm function.  Very safe and reliable.  

If you want to go Arduino, do you speak that language??  You will have to learn Arduinoese to program it.

I hope that the PID does not change your life, if so, then you need to get a life, not a PID :)  You can have a fun project if you like such, but not life changing.  You can easily adjust temperature to fit coffee, by degree instead of surfing.  My PID is on a Gaggia Classic so there are some differences, but still SBDU and some similarities.  If you need reading material, ideas, and a cure for insomnia then read

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

Posted August 29, 2012 link

tasseloff

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 7:24am

coffeeee Said:

"Tell me people, has the PID really changed your life?"

NO, but it certainly changed the way you use Silvia and made it simple to use not to mention saving a lot of water and electricity and getting to the preferred temp quicker with no hassle,
I instead of using a readymade kit, I have build my own which ended cheaper and according to my requirements look at my site

Have fun

Posted August 30, 2012 link

Hmm you make a really good point about water and electricity. Water is actually one of the big things that annoy me, I need to fill up Silvia everyday, but a lot of water is wasted because of the tempsurfing...
I've already looked at your site actually, and I'll probably look some more once the parts get here :-) Thanks!
D4F

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 9:36am

Make sure to confirm your manufacture date and confirm that the sensor is correct for the machine date.  

I put my PID on top just sitting there, and can set it off on top of a roll of paper towels if I want to open the machine, Gaggia.  No tape, screws, or holes.  

You could start a new thread, or since it is already started here, add "PID" to your subject line.

D4F also at
tasseloff

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 1:03pm

Just rechecked and Miss Silvia is from May 2002, so nice 10 years already!

I'll proceed to order the parts and keep the thread updated as things go along. I still need to order my O-rings for the valve leak. The online website I wanted to order it from sells the part for $3 but shipping is $15! So either I order a few other things from them at the same time, or find another place to buy it.

For the SSR, a 25A should do the trick or should I get a 40A ?
D4F

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 1:11pm
Subject: Subject: Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade

Check parts here and if they have, "PARTSSHIPFREE" not sure about Canada

http://www.espressoparts.com/

25A is normally used and plenty.  Your house line power is probably 15A.

D4F also at
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315311908722)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+