Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Duetto Steam Wand Mod - Loving It!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Duetto Steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 5:37am
Subject: Duetto Steam Wand Mod - Loving It!

On the advise of Emradguy I pulled the tube out of the steam wand on my Duetto and it is hands down the way to go, at least for me. It purges more quickly, the steam is dryer and the micro-foam is better. I feel like the steaming is now equal with the other features and price of the machine.

If I could just get around to adding a cut off switch for the low water alarm my life would be complete.

Thank Ron

John

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 6:45am
Subject: Re: Duetto Steam Wand Mod - Loving It!

You're welcome John!  As I said in our private email discussion, I got the idea from another member sevral months ago (buried thread), and haven't looked back.  Like you, I was very frustrated that this great machine couldn't produce microfoam better than my old Silvia.  This wand mod is the key!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:27am

Finally....

Everyone should realise that your average prosumer no-burn steam wand is a BAD thing. My Duetto does not have a no burn steam wand and it steams great. I wouldn't have a no burn steam wand on it if one was given to me....wait, I was given one, and never fitted it. Perhaps if more people said they didn't want no burn steam wands we could all get back to steaming better. They are a retail+manufacturer created based on a perception and the wrong question.

If you had been asked "We are thinking of putting a no burn steam wand on our machine, because a few people have mentioned burning themselves, it will of course reduce steaming effectiveness....what do you think". I suspect the answer would not have been a resounding yes...we would have all used the rubber sleeve on the wand to move it.

There are a LOT of so called "improvements" to prosumer coffee machines that either make them work worse, more expensive and sometimes even more unreliable......incredible when it does nothing for the consumer, but is all done because of what they think the consumer wants via the misguided efforts of Retailers.

Must remember not to burn myself on my old Duettos no burn steam wand....or the nice looking chrome acorn nuts on my even nicer bakelite style steam and water knobs (which sadly have not been standard fitments for years).
wsurfn

Espresso: Duetto 2
Grinder: K30
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 6:39pm

+1

I also came to this conclusion on my own. I decided to buy a La Marzocco FB70 wand with a reduced 4 hole tip. I was afraid to pull out the tube off in case it failed, and I wanted to try the LM tip.

I am so happy with this set up. I also like the 1 cm longer wand too. I am sure it is similar and a lot cheaper to just pull out the tube.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 3:06am

DavecUK Said:

There are a LOT of so called "improvements" to prosumer coffee machines that either make them work worse, more expensive and sometimes even more unreliable......incredible when it does nothing for the consumer, but is all done because of what they think the consumer wants via the misguided efforts of Retailers.

Posted October 6, 2012 link

So I am going to highjack my own thread. What else do i need to know about my 2 year old Duetto? What else should i consider un-improving?

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DavecUK

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 6:57am

Fit a pressurestat and use that to switch the steam boiler via the SSR will improve your steaming....you can run up to 1.35 bar with no problems, even 1.4. Take no notice of any limits set in the PID controller (for temperature when calculated back to bar pressure) as I am the one who suggested those values for Izzo to use in the steam boiler.

I wrote an article about PIDs and steaming last June Click Here (coffeetime.wikidot.com)

The Wiki also contains details of many of the other mods I did on my Prototype Duetto, a lot of which have gradually been implemented one way or another. Electronic low water detection would be a nice one, if the have the old standard tank on the spring platform. Get an old Expobar 2.8 litre tank and remove the spring platform....bingo nice large internal tank.

Another mod if you have an early Duetto with a failed Gicar single channel PID and onboard hahn transformers is the repair of said PID by outboarding the transformers from the failed board (plus using a small resistor to lower the voltage slightly to put less load on the Gicar and voltage controller.......then it won't fail again. I need to do the article though, in over a year now I have not got around to it, but have repaired more than one early model Duetto this way. Those very early Gicars simple had a few components that were not rated for the temperatures they were being subjected to. Mine never failed yet, because I added extra ventilation and specific insulation at the TOP of the steam boiler as well as the sides.

A lot of it is in the Wiki though.....check your model and mod away.

P.S. Another article I need to write is the use of a specific central heating water pump washer on the brew boiler element for any early duettos with persistent leaks in this area....works much better than the teflon ones (and also my first fix using hawk special fibre and Teflon tape, which can leak again after a few years)...another of those articles I never got around to writing.
mute

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:24am

Does the tube just pull out? Is it reversible?

For those of you who have removed it, are you using anything to adjust your wands like: http://www.espressoparts.com/W15295?&search_id=1923336?

I'm getting tired of the wet steam on my duetto, but I also hate burning myself on my steam wand constantly...
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 8:49am

mute Said:

Does the tube just pull out? Is it reversible?

Posted October 18, 2012 link

Dunno was so pleased I did not even bother keeping the insert. I figured if i did not like it money would fix it anyway.

mute Said:

For those of you who have removed it, are you using anything to adjust your wands like: http://www.espressoparts.com/W15295?&search_id=1923336?

Link is broken

mute Said:

I'm getting tired of the wet steam on my duetto, but I also hate burning myself on my steam wand constantly...

I am now convinced now that no burns are "THE SPAWN OF SATAN" and have no plans of owning another period regardless of make and model of the machine i am using.

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 11:35am

jwoodyu Said:

I am now convinced now that no burns are "THE SPAWN OF SATAN" and have no plans of owning another period regardless of make and model of the machine i am using.

I would tend to think that it would be machine/wand specific when it comes to issues. I have a no burn wand on my machine and there are no issues with turning out wet paint milk, time after time and quickly, so I guess like just about everything in this hobby YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 1:07pm

calblacksmith Said:

I would tend to think that it would be machine/wand specific when it comes to issues. I have a no burn wand on my machine and there are no issues with turning out wet paint milk, time after time and quickly, so I guess like just about everything in this hobby YMMV!

Don't get me wrong I am talking about degrees of very solid and great. I could turn out wet paint when it was no burn just not as easily when steaming in the big jug. I can pick up a student horn start  "KILLING IT!" but why would I when I don't have to? Seriously I will concede the SPAWN OF SATAN on ALL machines.

None the less do allow me to say "I don't find the "burn me" wand to be a big issue and if I ever have even the slightest doubt about a machines steaming in the future the no burn hits the crapper first."

showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Duetto Steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328701972961)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+