Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
NS Oscar - To Mod or not to Mod? (+ a couple noob questions...sorry)
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > NS Oscar - To...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 5:49am
Subject: NS Oscar - To Mod or not to Mod? (+ a couple noob questions...sorry)

(While the Oscar is a great beginners HX machine, a couple things have peaked my interest in regards to improving its performance:

1. Pressure: From what I understand, factory setting has brew pressure at a maximum 15 bar
    OPV Mod - Worth it?  It appears a few people have felt the need to do the mod and this website even offers a kit (http://www.elektros.it/en/oscar_modification_kit.html),
    However, nixter (Click Here (coffeegeek.com)) argues that brew pressure is regulated by grind and dose and an OPV would be unnecessary.

2. Vacuum Breaker
    From what I understand, it's necessary if you plan on putting the Oscar on a timer.  Is there a guide/instructions on how to do this mod?  I have a tendency to screw things up when tampering with mechanics...

3. Gauges (thanks for the link Helen!) - This youtube video shows an Oscar with pressure gauges: http://youtu.be/J_xr3ywD0FQ
    May be novel, but I think it's neat.  Again, I have no idea where to begin if I want to attempt this mod.

PS: (warning: really noob questions below)

1. What is this red tube, and is anything supposed to come out of it (when I backflush, water only gushes out of the clear tube on the right)?  Here's a picture of it with a blue arrow pointed towards it: http://i.imgur.com/ToImG.jpg

2. I have a sirai p-stat.  When I adjust it towards the (+), does this increase boiler temperature, therefore increasing brew temperature?  Does it also affect brew pressure?

Thanks!!

Daviiid
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 7:02am
Subject: Re: NS Oscar - To Mod or not to Mod? (+ a couple noob questions...sorry)

A: is the neplax, or expansion valve. Which is an OPV, although I don't believe it's adjustable on the Oscar (I know it's not on my Ellimatic). Stick the blind basket in and run the pump too long and you should see something come out of it. Generally, you don't want to. The OPV mod I've seen puts the OPV on the cold water side of the HX, rather than on the hot water side. The mod that was extensively documented on HB for adding an OPV to the cold water side of an Ellimatic was designed to dump cold water, rather than heated water, back into the reservoir, rather than into the Elli's tiny drip tray.

B: On HX machines, the pstat controls boiler pressure (and hence temperature). It will not affect brew pressure, as that's controlled by the pump, not the boiler pressure. The effect on brew temperature is a little more complex. A higher pressure (ie. hotter) boiler temp will heat the water in the heat exchanger tube faster. So you'll need to do cooling flushes more often and the 'water dance' will be more energetic and probably last a little longer. Unless the boiler is so hot that it manages to superheat the water from the reservoir in the time it takes to pass through the tube, you'll still have decent brew temperature. A higher pressure boiler makes it easier to pull a larger number of back to back shots, but it's a balancing act between recovery time and excessive flushing.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 7:05am
Subject: Re: NS Oscar - To Mod or not to Mod? (+ a couple noob questions...sorry)

BTW, if you download the Oscar parts list from nuovasimonelliusa.com, it's got diagrams with all those parts labeled. Good reference to have.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 8:56am

When Chris Coffee gets the vacuum breaker with the tube in I plan to do this as well as add the glacieurs from musica.  See Márcio's thread at home-barista.  I am thinking of adding the gauges as well.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

See my list with english that Stefano65 helped me with.

Click Here (s156.photobucket.com)

Coffeenoobie: th_OscarHydraulic-Diagram[1].jpg

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 9:11am

I do not intend to move the OPV or add one.

Coffeenoobie

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 9:33am

Adding the vac breaker is a dead easy thing to do.
I documented doing it to my Oscar here. http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/387722#387722
I also talked about it to Helen here : http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571308

You really do not need a "kit" to add one. All you need are two compression fittings to match the copper tube from the boiler to brew head, a 90 deg fitting that has the same inlet and outlet (the straight through side of the "T") and a threaded hole to fit an elbow and a Vac breaker. Assemble as shown in the first pic of my thread, use a tubing cutter (hack saw etc but a tubing cutter is easiest and neatest) remove a section of tube so that the ends of the tube fit into the compression fittings of the T and tighten everything up.

1/4" breaker, http://www.espressoparts.com/W_517?&search_id=1909811
3/8" http://www.espressoparts.com/R_415?&search_id=1909811

or any generic breaker will work, just keep an eye to size.

I also added a "drip tray" and cover over my instal on my Oscar so that it contained any water from spraying around inside Oscar. I think I used a SPAM can bent to fit YMMV!

Also, I never had an issue of over pressure on Oscar and I really did not miss the gauges and now that I am dialed in on my current machine, I don't use them much at all though they are both there.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 9:54am

I think I would like the gauges but I believe that Marco said that the musica glaciers made the most difference in the Oscar.  I just need someone go in with me to order them because they have a 25 dollar min order and the parts are cheap.

Coffeenoobie

ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 12:13pm

thanks for all the great responses.  i found them really helpful!

That Marcio fella is a modding machine (he even went as far as adding a PID)!

The vacuum breaker looks fairly simple and I would probably do that first.

Thanks again everyone!

Daviiid
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 3:24pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I think I would like the gauges but I believe that Marco said that the musica glaciers made the most difference in the Oscar.  I just need someone go in with me to order them because they have a 25 dollar min order and the parts are cheap.

Posted September 26, 2012 link

I keep readIng about these glaciers.  What are they and why do I want some?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 4:05pm

They are restrictors that help the temp in the group stay more stable.  Helps the thermosiphon. Musica comes with them in the same group head and boiler that Oscar has. They are cheap like $2.50 each and you only need 2 and NS requires a 25$ minimum order.    Mario talks about them in the thread. He said that on a very slow pour the temps spike way up.  I really want to try them.  That is one of the mods I want to do when I take my oscar apart for the deep scale job.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > NS Oscar - To...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262615919113)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+