Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Has anyone seen a polished Silva
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Has anyone seen...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 7:46am
Subject: Has anyone seen a polished Silva

I was thinking about putting a high polish on mine.  I have seen someone take brushed stainless and turned it into a beautiful mirror like finish.  I have search google and the forum trying to find a picture.  I think it would look great but I wanted to see it.  Yes I know the amount of work this takes.  That's not a bad thing since all I have is time and love a good challenge.  Let me know if anyone has seen this.

If I had to guess at what it looks like I would pick an Isomac Venus.  That unit has the squared side and boxy front.  Let me know if I am on the right track.

Alex
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:22am
Subject: Re: Has anyone seen a polished Silva

haven't seen anyone do that, but I don't see how it can be different than polishing any other brushed stainless surface.  In fact, since the machine has flat sides, it might be "easy".  Certainly, it's going to take a very long time, even if you use something much larger than a Dremel, but hey...it's your time, not mine.  Me, I'd rather spend my time making improvements to my technique and learning more about espresso minutia.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Burd
Burd

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:42am

emradguy Said:

Me, I'd rather spend my time making improvements to my technique and learning more about espresso minutia.

Posted September 20, 2012 link

I don't work anymore so I have a day full of nothing to do.  Totally empty schedule.  Improving my technique and learning more, I currently do that, but I can't fill everyday with it.  Tinkering with things keeps me busy and productive.  See when I said I have nothing but time I wasn't kidding :)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:49am

I know from my work and connections from machine shops that there are businesses that do nothing but polish metal, they usually have good prices, they will know the best and fastest way to do the job and the best part is that if you don't like the finished work, ....... you have someone else to blame! :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burd
Burd

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 12:01pm

Haha, I like being able to blame someone besides me for a change.  I think I will do that next week, see what a local shop would charge or if they will point me in the right way since it's a small job (famous last words).
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 12:15pm

I'm totally envious of your free time!  I wish I could explore all of my hobbies to their fullest.  Someone said to me recently that if I won the lottery and retired, that I'd get bored doing just my hobbies, but I am more than certain I would not.  To name a few...woodworking, kung fu, espresso pursuits, and cooking.  Oh, there are so many other things I'd like to dabble in...ah, but I digress...I was thinking...I did polish a carving knife that the professional sharpener scratched (bastard).  I must say, I was rather pissed off, as it was an 8" carver from my Wustof "dream set".  Anyhow, I used the polishing pad with my Dremel and some #6 high gloss compound to get the scratch out, and it actually went rather quickly.  What I found most difficult was getting the shine uniform though.  I'm wondering if I had spent more time on it, would it have come out better, and if I would have gone over it by hand at the end, would that have produced prettier results?  Maybe one day I'll have the time to try the latter.

Please post some pics of your polished Silvia afterwards.

Burd
Burd

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 12:28pm

Hmmm...Where can I pick up this #6 compound?  I have the pads sitting around.  What I will do first is take off the cup warmer lid and polish the underside so if it goes completely wrong it's hidden on the inside.  If it works well I can get a larger pad for a bench grinder and just go slow and take my time.  I will also jump on "that popular video site" and look at some polishing videos.  That's where I got the idea from. Some guy was polishing a semi-truck stainless gas tank.  He used an angle grinder and did like a 12x12 section in less than 5 minutes.  Then again, he has probably been doing it for 20 years, so his speed won't be anywhere near my speed.

Like I said I'll give that small spot a go tonight or tomorrow when I get that #6 compound.  I will be sure to show you a photo of what it did and how hard it actually was to do the small spot.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 5:49am

Ron, my guess is that the reason the finish was not even was due to the size of the pad you use on a Dremel tool. This is a VERY small pad and I doubt that with many more hours of work, you would have had much different of a result.
Polishing compound comes in many grits. The thing to remember when polishing is that when you change to a finer grit, you need to rotate the work 90 deg and continue to polish until you remove ALL the marks from the prior grit. they are easily seen as you are working 90 deg to them. You continue to go finer and finer until you achieve the desired result.

there is only so much you can do with home tools, they are just not designed to do big jobs. Unless you want to spend many times the labor doing it yourself with small tools, you need to invest in tools that can do the job. This is part of the advantage the polish shop has over working at home, they have the tools to do the job quickly AND to a higher standard than most can achieve at home.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burd
Burd

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 10:56am

Just picked up some materials to start.  I picked up 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit 3M high end wet/dry paper.  I went to an auto paint supply house.  We called the 3M rep from there and he said start with this.  I will see how close the 2000 gets.  If I can't use a liquid polish at 2000 grit then I will go back and pick up the 3000 then see where I'm at again.  A few local custom car painters are the ones that told me to go to 2000 then a liquid metal polisher to smooth it out and get rid of the haze.  I spoke to a custom cycle shop and that's how he does it also.  I will be doing it all by hand, no power tools.  Yes this will take me much longer but as strange as it seems, I enjoy tinkering and I will appreciate the end result that much more.  I'm not in a hurry so why rush.  I thought about having someone do it for me but the cost doesn't seem worth it.  Besides if I do the work and get a scratch a year from now I will know how to polish it out.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 12:17pm

good points Wayne.  The compound I used was a thick paste, almost a wax really.  I bought it at Lowe's or HD - can't remember which.  For high grit woodworking, I use micro-mesh, which goes to something sick like 20,000 grit.  Not sure if you can use it on metal though.  I bought mine at Rockler, but it is also available at Woodcraft and other woodworking specialty shops.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Has anyone seen...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262761116028)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+