Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Brasilia Espresso machine repair??
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Brasilia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
sicamoose

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:38am
Subject: Brasilia Espresso machine repair??

We just bought a new house and it came with a wicked espresso machine. I think it is a Brasilia (pic attached)?? Worked excellent for the first few months now when i make espresso grinds come up over group head. Figure needs new gasket?? I have found this website:

Click Here (www.cafeparts.com)

any suggestions? anyone have any info on this machine or maybe even where to find a manual? Anyone in the OK Valley (Vernon/Kelowna) area able to fix?

thanks so much for any help.

sicamoose: 20120918_102508.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 6:15am
Subject: Re: Brasilia Espresso machine repair??

Your pic did not attach or was not posted.
Also, what do you mean when you say the grounds come up over the group head?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sicamoose

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 7:41am

i am sure my terminology is wayyyy out of wack. when i put doser into grouphead (i honestly had to google that) grounds come out of doser (above doser) and 'spill out'........i have checked the screen and its fine.

ps resized pic and it shows above now. anyone know exactly what type of machine this is (brand, make, model?)?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:28am

Ok, that is a 2 gp commercial machine, much like the one I have.
I think our terms are still a "bit" off LOL!
The doser is on your grinder. It is a chamber that the grounds go into while waiting to be DOSED into the grounds basket which is then placed into the PORTA FILTER which is then placed into the GROUP HEAD of your espresso machine.

I am guessing that you are placing ground coffee into the basket and when you place the basket/porta filter assembly into your machines group head, you are spilling coffee. Am I close?

Are you tamping? This will reduce the volume of coffee in the basket and it also compresses the grounds so that the coffee bed presents an even and consistent resistance to the flow of water from the shower screen in your group head. Have I used enough terms to really confuse you yet? LOL!

You should be grinding your coffee fresh, just before you put it into the coffee basket to pull your shots. You can NOT use pre ground coffee, it won't work, you need a grinder that is able to grind for espresso and that is not a whirly blade type "grinder".

I don't know where you go to get a manual but it is a generic HX dual group commercial espresso machine and unless you need to repair specific parts inside, a manual really isn't need as they basically all operate the same way.

Where did you buy a new house that came with a two group commercial espresso machine? I want to move there!

I guess it is also possible that your group head gasket has worn out, that is normal maintance and they need to be replaced about every 6 months or so in a home environment, more often in commercial use. If the gasket is leaking, you will get water oozing or leaking from above the porta filter and making a mess but no coffee will be mixed in as this is only fresh water.

Please don't be afraid to answer back, we really want to help you get this worked out. Everyone starts in the same place in this hobby, it is through sharing that we learn and if you don't ask questions, we can't help you learn!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:31am

After really looking at your picture, I see your tamper  and your grinder so you are off to a good start!
Is your coffee FRESH, as in less than two weeks from the day it was roasted on?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

sicamoose

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 3:10pm

yeah, i am kind of familiar with espresso machines. I used to have an older Saeco when i Lived in Montreal. We try to use the finest quality beans we can buy because I truly do like a really really really good espresso shot. We kinda skimped on the grinder (Breville) but i thought I would try it out (will most likely get a rocky one day) - it has been working OK so far.

BUT I have this machine which i know nothing about and as much as i love it am in over my head a bit. When living in a small town far from a large city one has to rely on google to troubleshoot these things.   I ASSUME its the gasket (rubber?) in the grouphead (right terminology?)? And have found the link above in my first post there.

Would LOVE to know what you guys think......hope my initial complaint/question is clear enough (grinds overflowing out of the porta filter)

thanks
sicamoose

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 3:15pm

No I am not spilling grounds from the grinder to the grouphead. Wet grounds are coming out of ("up") the porta filter when placed into the group head and the "button" is turned on (water pressure activated). the wet grounds just kinda come out and go everywhere (probably 15% of total grounds that were put into the porta filter 'escape'). The result is a mess and a horribly weak espresso shot.

we kinda gave up on it for a while because life got busy and now am finally getting around to trouble shooting it.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 6:13am

Ok, we are closing in on the problem.
Is the porta filter coming off the machine while pulling a shot?
Are you saying that grounds are sticking to the dispersion screen after a shot is pulled and when you remove the porta filter they create a mess?
Are the grounds escaping WHILE pulling a shot?

I have read your last post several times and it seems to be saying that while pulling a shot, grounds come out of the portafilter through the space between the portafilter and the group head. The only way I can see for that situation to happen is if the rubber gasket is missing between the group head and the portafilter, this would allow the water pressure to push grounds up out of the basket and over the top of the portafilter between the portafilter and the gropup head. Remember, the brew cycle is water pushing into the basket at about 140 psi, this is enough pressure to push coffee grounds through small spaces.

Your gasket may also be broken, has it been leaking for a while or have you had to really crank the handle tight to keep it from leaking? when was the last time the gasket was changed? They should be changed about every 6 months or so as they get hard from the heat and in extreme lack of matinance, the can crack or break. If there is a crack or a chunk of it has fallen out, it will make a mess for sure!

For grinders, rocky has had better days and his steps are pretty wide for most people so adjustment is tough. The Vario is a great home grinder. I am not familiar with your Breville but my hands on with that maker has not impressed me much. The grinder is MORE important than your machine and to get the best from your machine which is of high quality and has the possibility for GREAT shots, you need a grinder to match. That should be the first thing you upgrade after fixing this issue you have on your plate, which to me, is looking more and more like a bad group head gasket.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

espressor1

Expertise: Professional
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 9:41pm

Long story short you need new group gaskets. They are cheap. Just google "Brasilia group gasket"
sicamoose

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 1:24pm

i assume i would only need one of them?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Brasilia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244945049286)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+