Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Can't steam and brew at the same time with Oscar :(
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Can't steam and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 1:16am
Subject: Can't steam and brew at the same time with Oscar :(

Hey guys, so something i came to realize on my oscar is that i'm unable to steam and brew at the same time.  When i open up the steam at all while the shot is pulling, the pressure gets abnormal and i'll have a very fast spritzing flow.  When i close the steam, i can get a proper pull.

anyone ever have this issue or any ideas on how to fix this?

also, not sure if anyone has experienced it but when i first turn on oscar, the machine will shake lightly for a few minutes.  It's not the regular pump noise.  I'm thinking it's still pump related as i'm guessing that's the only part that can actually cause that amount of vibration on the machine.  I ordered a new ulka. Hopefully that'll fix this.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 5:53am
Subject: Re: Can't steam and brew at the same time with Oscar :(

There isn't anything that should cause the machine to shake when you turn it on. The only time the pump comes on is when the machine fills the boiler or when you pull a shot.

The pressures in the boiler and in the brew circuit are two different things, the steam pressure has no connection to the brew pressure unless the pump comes on to fill the boiler at the same time as you are pulling a shot. This is the only time I can see the brew pressure being affected.

The pump operates the whole time you are pulling a shot and the pump is what builds the pressure for the shot.

The steam pressure is regulated by the Pstat and the heater and other than using the pump to fill the boiler, they are different things.

If the boiler fill opens while pulling a shot, the affect will be to LOWER the pressure of the shot, if anything as the pressure in the brew system is fixed and can not be increased without mechanical adjustment by you or a service tech.

I do not see how a lower pressure would cause spritizing and an increase in flow of the pull.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 10:25am

Let us know how you are doing Frank.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
frank828

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 2:02pm

So I'm just waiting for the new pump to come in and I'll see if it helps anything.  Probably early next week.

For now I'm just using it as is.  Oscar is still giving me great tasting espresso as long as I only do one thing at a time.
frank828

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 2:42pm

calblacksmith Said:

There isn't anything that should cause the machine to shake when you turn it on. The only time the pump comes on is when the machine fills the boiler or when you pull a shot.

The pressures in the boiler and in the brew circuit are two different things, the steam pressure has no connection to the brew pressure unless the pump comes on to fill the boiler at the same time as you are pulling a shot. This is the only time I can see the brew pressure being affected.

The pump operates the whole time you are pulling a shot and the pump is what builds the pressure for the shot.

The steam pressure is regulated by the Pstat and the heater and other than using the pump to fill the boiler, they are different things.

If the boiler fill opens while pulling a shot, the affect will be to LOWER the pressure of the shot, if anything as the pressure in the brew system is fixed and can not be increased without mechanical adjustment by you or a service tech.

I do not see how a lower pressure would cause spritizing and an increase in flow of the pull.

Posted September 18, 2012 link

I'm hoping that somehow a new pump will be my elixer.  I kinda wanted an excuse to get a new pump anyways. :p

If it doesn't fix it, I'm wondering if maybe there might be a solenoid problem.  I haven't looked through everything to really figure it out yet but in my head I wonder if a solenoid is letting water through somewhere it shouldn't.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 10:26am

Well, I ended up cleaning my 3 way by taking it apart and soaking.  I took apart mostly the 2 way above the boiler on the left side but it seemed fine.  I replaced the safety valve on the left side of the boiler it was faulty.  I took photos of that so you can see it.  Maybe your steam wand has a leak. I want to replace mine it is ugly (beat up by first owner) and I am not sure it seals well because sometimes I hear it hiss when it is closed.

Coffeenoobie

frank828

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 12:04pm

Hmm I'll have to check the steam wand.  I actually replaced the entire wand and valve early on because the old wand was pretty gross.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 2:01pm

it can't hurt to check it while you are in there.

Coffeenoobie

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Can't steam and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240247964859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+