Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rancillio Silvia and Rocky Maintenance
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancillio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
worldzfree

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 7:53pm
Subject: Rancillio Silvia and Rocky Maintenance

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I have a Rancillio Silvia and Rancillio Rocky that I bought back in the early 2000's.  I want to give them both a in depth/overhaul maintenance and wanted to see if anyone could recommend a good maintenance to perform.  Since I have owned them both the majority of the maintenance has been quarterly.  I usually perform:

*Only use Brita filtered water
*Use a nylon brush to scrub out the group/portafilter gasket area after each use
*Empty and rinse out the portafilter after each use
*Descaler run the through the system (Urnex Dezcal)
*Backflush (Urnex Cafiza)

Based on what I have read thus far I plan on replacing the following.

*Replace the group/portafilter gasket
*Replace the steam wand seals (I get a very minor leak sometimes)
*Fix the steam knob so it closes fully and doesn't allow a few drops here and there to come out

I could easily enough take it into a shop here in Seattle but I am one of those hands on type of people and wouldn't mind learning more about my machines while I am at it.  Once I have all this done I will probably go down the route of putting a PID on this unit.  Can anyone recommend any additional things that most likely need to be inspected and replaced as well as any really nice mods?  

-Cheers
-Andrew
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 8:40pm
Subject: Re: Rancillio Silvia and Rocky Maintenance

I hope this is not the first group gasket replacement in that amount of time!

If you have not done so, a replacement brew thermostat is in order. They often do not last this long.

Also get the four O-rings for the steam valve and wand, and get the sealing gasket for the steam valve (parts list calls it the cock gasket). Disassemble, clean and reassemble the valve completely.

A packet of Dow 111 for the steam valve O-rings would sloe be called for.

New Burrs for Rocky.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
worldzfree

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 8:47pm

Yeah, a little embarrassed over here.  I haven't replaced the gasket.  I'll get more in tune with doing that.  Is that most likely a once a year thing?

Thanks for all the other recommended items to replace.  Do you recommend I should also replace the OPV with a newer adjustable version?
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 10:16pm

You will find it a bit of a challenge to get he old one out. It will be rock hard. if you deive a drywall screw into it in one are a few times it should break up one area enough to get a small chisel in to pry.

Once every 18 months to two years should be OK for the group gasket. When you put the new one in you will be amazed at how spongy it feels when you lock the PF in.

The adjustable OPV is only useful if you have a pressure gauge, but once set you don't need to readjust it. There is a method to adjust the old-style though, buy adding washers. I believe i read that VW beetle (old style) copper washes are the correct size.  

New, two more things - first, that heating element has a lot of time on it. It may be worth an inspection. But where do we draw lines?

I started with Rocky and Silvia (if you didn't already learn that from my website), and now have, at street value, about $3500 worth in my machine+grinder combo. Maybe it's time for you to move up?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tasseloff

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 9:16am

Concerning the steam valve, I'm also just about to rebuilt mine. I received the part last week, and will borrow some tools this week from a friend to take it appart and rebuilt it. I ordered a kit with the seals,gasket from stefano's espresso care. It came with the DOW111 lubricant, which seems essential from what I gather.

I'll let you know how the rebuilt goes. I'll probably post it in my other thread where I also started documenting my PID upgrade (that's what happens when you start spending too much time here ;)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancillio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.219615936279)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+