Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Boiler problems
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Boiler problems  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 7:42am
Subject: Boiler problems

How possible is it to repair a boiler? Specifically an Ellimatic boiler? Apparently, when the person who rebuilt the Ellimatic I bought put it back together, he didn't use all the parts, thinking that it didn't matter. He also didn't torque down bolts in places that were a little difficult to reach. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out and realize that the mystery chrome bar that hadn't been reinstalled was the reinforcer from the boiler to the frame that is, once you examine the design, the part that exists precisely to keep the area where the group head is brazed to the boiler from flexing when you lock the portafilter in and out. Unfortunately, the couple of weeks it took me to figure out was enough time for a small fracture to occur at the brazing joint.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to have the boiler rebrazed, but I'm unsure how to go about finding someone to do it. Sourcing a new boiler is not horribily likely, and finding a broken Elli or Ellimatic with an intact boiler will likely take some time. So, I'm a little peeved this morning, both with myself for not braining it out sooner and at the mindset that if you've got parts left over when you're reassembling something, they probably aren't needed so don't bother with them.

And, I'm without espresso, since the home Caravel is waiting on a replacement heating element to arrive from Hungary.

Grump.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 8:10am
Subject: Re: Boiler problems

If you can't find someone who does boiler repair professionally, brazing is fairly easy (in terms of that sort of thing) so any good welding shop should be able to handle it. if not, check custom bicycle frame builders, sculptors, or custom motorcycle or metal fabrication shops.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 3:09pm

Yup, that's a crack in the boiler, alright.

GVDub: Boiler Crack.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GVDub

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 8:39pm

So, not having had the reinforcing piece reinstalled has caused sufficient flex in the group head where it's brazed to the boiler to open small cracks on both sides of the braze. I'm thinking that the only solution is to run a new braze all the way around the group head andhor point. Either that or try and source a new Ellimatic boiler.

Here's the object lesson - if you've got parts left over after you finsih reassembling something, figure out where the "surplus" parts are supposed to go, then dissassemble to whatever point is necessary to properly install the parts you didn't get in the first time. And, for Ghu's sake, don't sell your incorrectly assembled device to somebody as "fully functional", because it may not stay that way for long if that "extra" part was a critical sub-assembly you didn't understand when you took it apart.

If it's brazeable, that's not a biggie. Since my wife works at a trade school with an excellent welding department, I may be able to get an instructor to use it as part of a lesson. If I can't get it done there, I can hit one of the local shops and have it done there. If I have to source a boiler, on the other hand, I'm looking at unknown price and time.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

That's all I've got to say.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:07am

I was going to offer to give it a go but if your wife has access to a weld shop, that would be a much easier way to go.
I see no reason to think it should not be able to be brazed, it is a straight forward process.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
GVDub

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:24am

calblacksmith Said:

I was going to offer to give it a go but if your wife has access to a weld shop, that would be a much easier way to go.
I see no reason to think it should not be able to be brazed, it is a straight forward process.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

Thanks, Wayne, and I may yet take you up on that if nobody at Trade Tech is interested. I need an excuse to come out and check out your shop, anyway.

You coming in for the Roasting Charrette this Sunday?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 6:15am

I am afraid not, I am still trying to recover from the property rebuild and the mess that comes along with having most of your things packed into boxes and put in storage for 4 months.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
GVDub

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 7:01pm

Understand perfectly. We're looking to find a new apartment in the near future, so I'm getting ready to live out of boxes for the time it takes to get settled and get stuff out of storage.

On the boiler front, one of the senior welding instructors at LATTC is going to take a look at it tomorrow. If she decides it's a simple enough repair, I may even have it back tomorrow night (fingers crossed) for reassembly and testing over the weekend.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Boiler problems  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239840984344)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+