Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 1:39pm
Subject: Re: Subject: Silvia - Leak on steam valve and PID upgrade

Forgot, here is PID on top of a Gaggia since you are considering putting it on top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluei1-IkTw

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
tasseloff

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 5:38pm

D4F Said:

Check parts here and if they have, "PARTSSHIPFREE" not sure about Canada

http://www.espressoparts.com/

25A is normally used and plenty.  Your house line power is probably 15A.

Posted August 30, 2012 link

No-go for Espressoparts, its still 30$ to ship by FEDEX. I can't believe its gonna cost me more than 20$ to replace an O-ring! I could order from the Canadian retailer, and also get a hopper for my grinder which i've been thinking of buying for a while anyway, but the other problem I realized is that I can't seem to be able to find Dow 111 anywhere in Canada! The cheapest I found is from Orphan Espresso (they ship here) and it comes to about $8. They don't seem to carry the Rancilio O-rings so not possible to just get the two from them. Other than that stephano's espresso care has it, but it would also cost over 20$ shipping included. Seems like that might the be cheapest option for the moment. Any other retailers I should check?
D4F

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 6:34pm

I found this

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

You need 2 O-rings, or the kit?

http://www.jlhufford.com/shipping.asp

If you just need the O-rings, they may have a parts number that is available outside of the espresso markets.  They may be Viton high temperature, but if you get a part number you may find them.

D4F also at
tasseloff

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 6:59pm

Ahh you're a real search engine wizard! :-D
Thanks! so about $6 for the lubricant, now only need to find the o-rings locally if possible (don't know if I need the kit with the gasket as well or not). Its weird because I had checked ebay.ca, but that didn't show up, yet they still ship to Canada.

I'll make some calls tomorrow actually for the o-rings, there's 2 places in Montreal where they might have the parts for the rancilio, if not i'll consider finding the part number and looking at a local hardware store.

D4F Said:

I found this

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

You need 2 O-rings, or the kit?

http://www.jlhufford.com/shipping.asp

If you just need the O-rings, they may have a parts number that is available outside of the espresso markets.  They may be Viton high temperature, but if you get a part number you may find them.

Posted August 30, 2012 link

D4F

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 7:10pm

I believe that is an O-ring part number on the jhufford site.

D4F also at
tasseloff

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 8:41am

Well, I made all the orders today.

I finally gave up on trying to find the seals locally and figured since I might need the gasket as well (whole kit), I'd be better off ordering it all from the same place. So I placed my order on Stefano's espresso care, they ship for $9 to Canada which is actually cheaper than usual shipping IN Canada. I ordered some rubber feet for the Silvia since I noticed that all I had on mine were some cheap underfeet you buy to put under your chair or whatever to protect the floor. Since those rubber feet are a little higher, it also means I won't need to "squeeze" the milk jug from under the steam arm when I'm done frothing (milk jug was higher than the steam arm).

I also got a spare group gasket, so the total came to $35.  I alllllmost caved in to buy a bottomless portafilter as well. But there's no reason why I couldn't make the one I have right now bottomless, so instead of spending more $ that'll do for another interesting project later on.

I made the order from Auberins as well, the parts which I listed in the prior post. Total came to $106 with shipping. Now I just need to go to the local electronic store and find some wire/cramps etc...

Now I wait :)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 1:53pm

please let us know how the valve rebuild goes, once you get your parts.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 8:29pm

Sent you a helpful PM.

While you wait for the PID you can make up the wires.  That took me longer than wiring it in.  How will you do the steam?  If like the Skene method, get diodes noted on the Skene diagram, or have other brand equivalent.  These should be cheap diodes.  Depending on SSR location you will want to place these wires and diodes even if you do not yet have a dc voltage source.  Saves going back into the whole install to add wires at the PID and SSR.  Voltage source can be a 9v battery or a cell phone AC - DC charger, or similar small charger in the 5 - 18v range.

Having fun yet?

D4F also at
tasseloff

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 8:14am

Thank you for the very helpful PM indeed! I think I'll have all I need with that! Yes I was thinking of going with the Skene diagram you posted earlier for steaming.
How did you setup your diodes actually? Soldered them directly and then used a shrink tubing?

I'm trying to see the diode number but I'm not sure from the diagram, is it actually N400 (bottom left)?

And yes, I'm having lots of fun already :-D Problem is I'm also finishing my thesis at the moment in parallel, so I might have to manage my spare time a bit.
I spent all evening yesterday looking up how I could connect an arduino board to bluetooth or wifi to control it with my phone, so that I could monitor my dear silvia remotely :-D
D4F

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:56am

The diodes are IN4001.  I posted a picture on the Gaggia thread to help.  I chose to post it there and mention it here so that it will be found under both Gaggia and Silvia, and SBDU.

Do not forget a small quantity of thermal paste at the electronic store.  Helps with the sensor, though there may be enough on the brew-stat and in the threads to work.

You need to finish the thesis so that you can enjoy the project, or finish the project to have enough espresso to finish the thesis?

Thesis in foreign language, Arduinese?

D4F also at
showing page 4 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia - Leak on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.246565818787)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+