Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
UGH!  Snapped 2 Silvia Boiler Screws
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > [Resolved] UGH!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mojoneill

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 10:27am
Subject: [Resolved] UGH!  Snapped 2 Silvia Boiler Screws

Ugh...  Have a Silvia disassembled, new parts, and a big problem.  2 Screws snapped part way down the shaft when I was trying to get them out of the boiler.  I have no idea how to recover from this.  Any ideas?  This is what we're dealing with:

Broken screws at 1:00 and 2:00 o'clock

I half recall someone else mentioning this, but I'll have to crawl through the posts and my bookmarks.  In the mean time, any advice, suggestions or recommendations are helpful...

-Michael

PS: I haven't yet been able to separate the top of the boiler from the bottom.  It's like to two pieces are welded together.  Is there a trick to that too?

mojoneill: IMG_2233_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
steven_meyer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 11:47am
Subject: Re: UGH!  Snapped 2 Silvia Boiler Screws

Go to your local hardware store and ask them for a set of Easyout's.

http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/
coffee_no_sugar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 12:44pm

Sears also sells screw extractors.  Don't forget to use some penetrating oil. Heat and some knocking can help loosen a frozen bold.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 1:03pm

Yeh only way really is with an screw extractor, those are small screws which makes it harder but can still be done. I'd leave some penetrating oil soak in for a day and some heat ( you can get those little cheap torches). My truck is modified and when I was changing the t-stat I sheared off three bolts in the aluminum head that had seized. Penetrating oil over night, and next day took a mechanic buddy and I 5 hours with heat to extract the screws carefully since the head is aluminum, god that sucked lol.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 5:57pm

That is the bottom half, no? And the top, dome half is one piece unless things have changed without Rancilio informing me..  ;-)

Now, don't panic.
1 - penetrating oil. Over and over.
2 - heat. even a hair dryer, but a heat gun works best. Even boiling in water if need be.
3 - File end of stud square.
4 - using a SMALL hammer or equivalent tool, tap on each stud about 200 times.The micro-movement and vibrations will loosen a LOT of corrosion.
repeat above steps as necessary.
TO REMOVE:
using a rotary tool (Dremel) cut a slot into the end of the stud. Using a well-fitting screwdriver, see if the stud will wiggle SLIGHTLY!
or
Grab stud with locking pliers and wiggle it as described above
or
Cut square near boiler's surface. Center punch the center of the stud. Get a small reverse drill bit and drill into the stud. The heat and action of the drill often removes the stud.
and if that doesn't work it's time for a screw extractor.

Think of it as being a surgeon and wanting to take the least destructive path first.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mojoneill

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 8:35am

Well, one screw came out after a soak in WD-40's penetrating oil product and lots of hammering.  The other one is still stubborn...
mojoneill

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 11:48am
Subject: [RESOLVED]  was Re: UGH!  Snapped 2 Silvia Boiler Screws

Update: Got the second screw out.  Many thanks to everyone who responded.  

The last one came out today. I kept spraying penetrating oil on it last night and this morning.  Did some vigorous "tapping" with a hammer, and it didn't budge until I started scrubbing with citric acid to try to clean the bottom side of the boiler mating surfaces.  It finally started to turn a little with vice grips...  and once it turns a little, the rest is easy.

I'm kind of glad I didn't have to resort to fire or screw extractors (both of which would have been in next steps...).

-Michael
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 3:48pm
Subject: Re: [RESOLVED]  was Re: UGH!  Snapped 2 Silvia Boiler Screws

The heat with tapping or vibrations *1 is a powerful tool for corroded, rusted, stuck hardware. I worked in an auto center when I was in college, almost exclusively doing tires and batters. We had a service sink and the water in it had to be around 175-180 F. We would take the ugliest, corroded, rusted battery hold-down hardware and hold it under the hot water, then use it as sort of a drum stick on the cast iron sink. In 15 months of that, I don't think there were three we couldn't get unfrozen. Add a penetrating pil to the mix and it really becomes a great way to free stuck hardware.

*1 A vibratory tool of some sort would work well, but don't ask the wife or girlfriend to borrow one of hers...

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > [Resolved] UGH!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234604120255)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+